Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me Outfit For USPSA

BigQ

Always wanted to give it a go at the range I belong to but work schedule never allowed it but all that's changing so I'm researching some gear. Seems to be a whole lot of options out there and want to buy right the first time so here goes. I'll be shooting production probably starting off with a glock 17 and then stepping up to a glock 34. I think the stuff below will get me going but will definitely take any advice...

DAA Competition Belt

DAA Racer Magazine Pouch times 3

DAA Low Rider PRD Holster??? Seems to be alot of options out there for holsters, any big advantages to another brand and are they all compatible with the DAA belt?

What else am I missing besides the usual eye/ear protection etc?

Thanks for any tips...

CR Speed belt , 5 ready tactical pouches, blade tech DOH holster.

The DAA belt is too stiff for me personally and it's slightly oversized which makes it a PITA to get gear set up in it. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Ready tactical punches are great for Production. They are simple in design, take up very little space on the belt, great retention yet super slick and they are cheaper than any other pouch out there.

BT DOH because it's tried and true and is the best thing going in that type of holster.

Get the belt and holster at shooters connection. Get the pouches from Chris Patty at CPWSA

Edited by Sarge

Most people don't follow this advice but use what you got or

buy used or "simple and cheap" because

What you end up with a year from now might be very different.

Heck ask around and borrow. I have Bladetechs for Glock and 1911 sitting around maybe more. Ya gotta go shoot matches first. If your gear is safe then you are good to go. Guess how many seconds a $350, brand new XYZ rig takes off your stage runs? Probably adds 5 seconds over something you are used to.

You are already thinking a different gun and that means a different holster, Again. although you could let a 34 "stick out" of a lot of 17 holsters.

Most people run to the gun store and buy a Uncle Mikes or a Serpa and can't wait to throw them away three weeks later. For Competition buy CR, Ghost and DAA so at least you can sell them here if don't like them. Try selling a coudura Uncle Mike anywhere.

PS 5 pouches

CR Belt

CR mag pouches/ maybe Ghost

Bladetech Holster

Is what I recommend

I currently shoot a G34 in Production:

CR Speed Belt

CR Speed mag pouches ( they will work with almost any Production gun mags & they come in cool colors ...,), 5 on the belt but you can get away with 4 for a while

Blade Tech holster

.... You're go to go

Always wanted to give it a go at the range I belong to but work schedule never allowed it but all that's changing so I'm researching some gear. Seems to be a whole lot of options out there and want to buy right the first time so here goes. I'll be shooting production probably starting off with a glock 17 and then stepping up to a glock 34. I think the stuff below will get me going but will definitely take any advice...

DAA Competition Belt

DAA Racer Magazine Pouch times 3

DAA Low Rider PRD Holster??? Seems to be alot of options out there for holsters, any big advantages to another brand and are they all compatible with the DAA belt?

What else am I missing besides the usual eye/ear protection etc?

Thanks for any tips...

Like others have stated, for Production you're probably going to want at least one more mag carrier, two would be better.

As for brands, all of those mentioned are good. I'm a DAA guy myself except for my SS holster which is a BT and I have CR Speed double mag carriers that are backups/loaners.

Production - I never moved beyond a Comp-Tac Holster, Fobus Mag carrier, and good leather belt from Tractor Supply.

One mag in the gun, two on the belt.

Nowhere near enough ammo to run a field course. 31 total rounds on board?

BSeevers has great advice there. You can make do with a sturdy leather belt or instructors type belt. If youre not worried about the money, I sure like the CR belt and DAA pouches and Bladetech DOH I purchased from Speed Shooter Specialties. I think its quality gear and it works for my needs for production. I also think I could have sold it off easily if I decided it wasnt for me.

Once you get your belt and gear worked out, you will need a good range bag. You can use what you have until you figure out which way you want to go. There are several good bag choices as well as backpack choices. Look at other people's setups at some matches to get ideas. Most people will be willing to offer helpful advice on what works. Shooting bags take a fair amount of abuse, so when you decide on which style you prefer, get a sturdy one.

Hurley

Definitely just buy a 34 holster as stated above. I bought the Ready Tactical DOH over the Bladetech DOH, and I love it. I ran my 17 in there for several matches while my 34 grip was getting stippled. I have a dedicated Ready Tactical DOH for my 17; you will not notice a difference running out of the 34 holster. Save your money and just buy the 34 holster, Bladetech and Ready Tactical are great holsters as stated previously.

I bought CR Speed Versa mag pouches for production, and got the Ready Tactical pouches for my fiance. For production, I think the Ready Tactical pouches are better. They're about half the price, and they work great as Sarge said in post #5. I'm considering keeping the CR Speed pouches for if I ever jump into another division, and buying some Ready Tactical pouches for myself.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the help folks, to update this thread I picked up a Gen 4 Glock 34 last week and have 5 Ready mag pouches, CR Speed Belt and a BladeTech DOH holster on the way. Decide on a range bag and I should be good to go, trying to decide if I go with something like the Midway bag which is affordable or bite the bullet and go straight for the CED DAA Rangepack Pro...

Thanks for all the help folks, to update this thread I picked up a Gen 4 Glock 34 last week and have 5 Ready mag pouches, CR Speed Belt and a BladeTech DOH holster on the way. Decide on a range bag and I should be good to go, trying to decide if I go with something like the Midway bag which is affordable or bite the bullet and go straight for the CED DAA Rangepack Pro...

I have a Midway bag. I use it to carry my cleats and spare stuff. I use a Shooter's Connection bag for all the main gear. It's easily 5 times the bag the midway is. Flimsy and cheaper made. If you can swing something better go for the SC bag. Careful getting the range pack pro. That thing is a monster and is ideal for a cart. These bags get pretty heavy and a back pack that big gets pretty awkward when you have guns and mag pouches etc on.

Buy a Blade Tech Holster, CR Speed mag pouches and Belt. Call Mike at Shooters Connection, he is a good guy and will help you out. Also check out the Shooters Connection range bag it is top of the line. It is much cheaper to buy a good range bag the first time than to buy a cheap one and replace it.

They also have the best Customer Service in the industry.

• 4 weeks later...

Production - I never moved beyond a Comp-Tac Holster, Fobus Mag carrier, and good leather belt from Tractor Supply.

One mag in the gun, two on the belt.

I second shooting a few matches before dumping $$ into a lot of gear.

S you take one miss on EVERY 32 round field course?

Honestly I don't see any point in the philosophy that says buy some cheap stuff to start and then buy good gear later. why buy twice? the proviso of course being that you can afford some decent gear right now.

I would suggest:

Daa or CR speed belt. (if you're unsure of what you like, get the CR speed. the DAA is more personal preference some LOVE it some HATE it but most are happy with a CR speed). the belt will serve you well regardless of division and will last ages unless you get really fat or really skinny!

For mag pouches the DAA racer pouches are good, but I'd also recommend the CR speed versa pouches. They are very versatlie. both brands can be converted to different mag types and both can be converted to single stack too if that's a possibility down the track. both will fit on each others belts. basically any gear designed for 1.5inch belts will fit any brand belt. BUT the DAA is very slightly oversized which can make it harder to get some gear on (the benefit being it stays put, but I've never had any movement issues on a CR speed belt).

I think a good belt and good mag pouches are a sound investment. you'll have no trouble using DAA racer or CR speed versa pouches in other divisions OR selling them used for probably 70% of what you paid for them. They are an investment in your shooting future.

If funds are tight maybe get 3 or 4 of them, but aim to run 5 eventually. That is the standard. Especially if you're in a 10 round mag state. Aim to have 6 mags. one in the gun and 5 on belts and that way you are ready for any stage.

for holster this is one thing I can see sense in saving a little money. a bladetech DOH is a proven performer among the budget holsters. it would serve you well.

Otherwise if you plan to later on use a race type holster there is no reason not to buy one now. I've used the ghost and liked it. Also used the H&S CW5 and LOVE it. and the DAA race master is a great option too. I don't buy the idea that they are harder for noobs to use. they are actually very simple to use.

the H&S CW5 is nice as it's quite light, small, has great locking and a very easy to flip locking leaver (if you want to draw locked), but even unlocked it keeps the gun very secure and will only come out straight up (as in a draw) and cannot fall out forwards very easily. it's cheaper than a DAA but of course only suits one model pistol.

The DAA is super quality. aluminium body and mount, very nice positive locking like the H&S and has the benefit of being able to change blocks for different pistols. personally though I feel once you get different pistols you'll probably want a full rig for each. which can make a cheaper holster like the H&S more attractive if you go that route.

for ear protection my current favourite balance between cost vs performance is the peltor tactical sport with a set of the peltor HY80 gel cups. should cost less than $150 for both bits and when fitted with the gel cups the NRR is above average, comfort is amazing and they have a very intelligent circuitry. they perform and feel almost as good as a set of $300+ muffs for half the price.

eye protection is very personal and ranges from $5 to $600. I'll leave that to you!