Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

full size vs shorties?

DrLove

so I would really like to understand the tradeoff here. I've been shooting a full size Trubor but some people seem to prefer shorties. What are the pros and cons of each guys? As in, which shooting style goes with which better?

Hello: I vote for a light full length. Full length uses less powder to make major (softer recoil) and transitions just as well as a shorty. I had a very good shorty made by a very good smith and like the full size better. I am not a GM but my shooting has gotten better very quickly with the light full length pistol. The Tru Bor is good but can be made better by lightening the slide. You may want to try the shorty or mid size to see if you like them better. Everyone is different in what they like in a pistol. I like them on the lighter side even on my 6" limited gun. Around here there are more full length pistols. It is kinda like the 38 vs 9mm for an open pistol. A good comp design helps alot also. I am not sure if this helps or makes you more confused now. Thanks, Eric

I have had all 3 heavy Trubor, light titanium comped full size and a commander shorty. I prefer the balance of the mid size or shorty. My commander shorty is only 1-2 PF less than a full size gun and the commander has two barrel holes. I am sure that just makes it clear as mud for you. :)

I used (used). Dawson shorty's. They aren't harsh if they are set up right and you run the right recipe through them. My guns ran flatter than the full size and definitely flatter than any 9mm out there. I don't believe there is any difference in transition times however my gun cycles quicker and it shoots faster. Yes I dare to say that. I had both types of guns and I settled on my Dawson mini strokes. I have three of them.

Personally I think the right gun for is whatever you feel most comfortable with. After all, equipment will only take you so far. Practicing will get you where you want to go.

for me shorties seem to be ready for the next shot sooner. But that was not something I really noticed until my skill level went way up. Truth be told for most people, pick any gun and shoot 25k rounds and then try things to see how they work for you. People need to stop chasing the perfect "________",

There was a time when I thought full size was better. Then there was a time when I thought a shorty was better. Scientifically, a shorty has the potential to make a better open gun.

Now, I would say, all that matters is comp, barrel (specifically porting), and spring setup along with the powder you run.

A few months ago I bought a STI TruBor and a STI Matchmaster to test the same thing. Without a long drawn out explanation I can tell you I already sold the MM and I used the money to buy a custom full size (should be here soon). For me, the full size seemed to "feel" best. And it definitely ran flatter with less felt recoil. The gun I'm having built will have a better barrel and comp and a lightened slide. I firmly believe this is the way to go. The only advantages I saw with the MM (faster slide) will be quickly attained by lightening the slide on a full size gun. I do prefer a little more weight up front though, so you may not feel the same as I do.

I shot a Matt Mclearn Caspian for many years. The gun performed and shot great with no problems. The dot was always visible while shooting with very little movement. My only complaint was it was heavy.

I wanted to try an open shorty. The gun fits my hand, shoots great, and no problems. My draws are very smooth and I can tell a big difference due to the lighter weight. After about 1500 rounds I still have not gotten to the point where I can control the gun so the dot remains visible during recoil. Maybe i have more work on fine tuning.

I have a full size matt mclearn. it has some age on so I need to get the side lightened but if I do my part the dot moves from the center half way up the distance to top of sight. I have tried it with no shock buffs to 3 and it still runs. gotta love it.