Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you clean your 3g rifle?

Therealkoop

Been having some issues with accuracy at the range lately. BCM 18" SPR barrel. Im using basic ammo and was getting about 2 moa groups (am eagle .223 black box), but last time I went out it was closer to a 4" group at 100. Cleaned my rifle and a LOT of copper fouling out, and my accuracy seems to be back to around 2 moa. I think I put maybe 600 rounds through it since the last cleaning. How often should you clean the bore?

Every 300-350 rounds.

I use an aerosol gun cleaning product to remove the heavy crap from the breach and let it run out the upper. Come back with a copper bore brush and remove fouling. Repeat as needed.

Next, a JP bore guide tool inserted, patch with hoppes #9, .22 cal copper brush breach to muzzle only, let it sit while I clean the rest of the rifle / bolt / carrier with FireClean.

I go back with a patch / jag and remove fouling, usually only takes a couple to get it reasonably clean. I'm not anal with it.

Then I coat it with a heavy coat of FireClean down the bore and breach. I find this last step to be important as it makes future cleaning easier.

Probably not the fastest or best way - just what I do.

Mine's similar to Tactica in round count and process, except I just use a bore snake on the barrel only.

Prior to that, I would scrub the hell out of everything after every trip to the range and every match, but noticed a degradation in accuracy, so I've loosened up especially on the barrel, and it seems to be much more consistant.

I use Gunslick foaming bore cleaner once every 1K rounds or so. Never any brushes.

I use the same foam on all my bolt guns but since it says on the can don’t use in gas operated gun I have only used it while at the range between working up loads on occasion. I know it gets really gummy if not wiped out of a chamber so I assume it may do the same in a gas port.

I use Gunslick foaming bore cleaner once every 1K rounds or so. Never any brushes.

I use the same foam on all my bolt guns but since it says on the can don’t use in gas operated gun I have only used it while at the range between working up loads on occasion. I know it gets really gummy if not wiped out of a chamber so I assume it may do the same in a gas port.

Never thought about that, I was having a gas leak (nordic 18" wylde barrel and syrac clamp on), I can't tell if it's in the gas block or tube but the gas port isn't clogged. Anyway I'm switching it out to a carbon arms gas block and new gas tube. We'll see how that goes.

Barrel: Every 500-1000 rounds I'll run a bore snake with some Hopps.

Upper: Every 300-400 rounds I field strip the upper, spray it all down with carb cleaner or starting fluid, and then oil it back up once dry.

With Wolf or Hornady Steel Match, my 16" BCM tends to get light primer strikes if the firing pin channel gets gunky.

After every monthly match I do the following:

• clean the bolt carrier, bolt, and all the little BCG parts
  • Run a bore snake through the barrel
  • wipe around the chamber and feed ramps with a cloth
  • relube
  • put it away until I have to change configuration or go to the next match

But, I wouldn't expect that what I do is some good standard. I'm just answering the question honestly.

I foam the bore and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then I pour hot water down the bore and through the gas tube. I run a pipe cleaner in the gas tube then I blow out the bore and gas tube with compressed air followed by two dry patches down the bore. My match rifle has 7 such cleanings on it and has never missed a beat, still holds less than 1/2 MOA and the bore looks pristine. I won't put a bore snake nor a brush down the bore.

You would not put a brush into the bore, but you would press numerous pieces of lead covered in gilding metal through it at 3000 fps, being forced through by an explosive cloud of superheated expanding gas? I would be that a little brushing once and a while would do less damage to the bore than 1 hoser stage. If you want your barrel to last longer the best way is to not shoot it or clean it.

Cleaning guns is stress relief for many people, I say it is their gun they can clean it however and as often as they like. I am lazy and do not clean my bore, but I wipe down the BCG and lube it before every match (the night before, or right before the first stage).

I take mine to the car wash every once in a while. I find the high pressure washer soap to be ideal to cut the carbon and decopper the bore, I like to finish with the "hot wax" as it really seems to make the bore shine and I get extra velocity. The good part is it flushes out the gas tube as well and I never have to worry about build up in the upper as it is also flushed out, but I will warn you always do this late at night, because day time patrons seem soooooo much more skittish of firearms than the folks late at night who are usually washing blood off their cars or cutlery.

I clean about every three matches. I just bore snake the barrel 3 three times, clean the BCG, and wipe out the upper. And a quick Oiling with whatever oil I picked up off the latest prize table....they have all worked so far!

I take mine to the car wash every once in a while. I find the high pressure washer soap to be ideal to cut the carbon and decopper the bore, I like to finish with the "hot wax" as it really seems to make the bore shine and I get extra velocity. The good part is it flushes out the gas tube as well and I never have to worry about build up in the upper as it is also flushed out, but I will warn you always do this late at night, because day time patrons seem soooooo much more skittish of firearms than the folks late at night who are usually washing blood off their cars or cutlery.

Lol lol lol

I clean mine rite befoe a big match

Lower and Optic off and into the dish washer it goes after every 500 rounds. (Hint: put the bolt and carrier into the silverware tray)

just 10 min into the dry cycle and it's ready to go, Cascade clean.

again like with Kurt's cleaning routine, you might want to wait until your significant other is not looking over your shoulder.

(for safety remove the good dinner service from the machine first.)

You would not put a brush into the bore, but you would press numerous pieces of lead covered in gilding metal through it at 3000 fps, being forced through by an explosive cloud of superheated expanding gas?

No, I only push bullets at about 2950, totally different! :) And combustion gases are not technically superheated, nor explosive, just really hot.

The purpose of the barrel is to have projectiles run through it...that is the whole point, and i enjoy that. There is no benefit from running brushes through the bore, and I don't enjoy cleaning, so no benefit.

"hot wax" as it really seems to make the bore shine and I get extra velocity

I might have to edit that and use it as another "Kurtism". :)

Edited by MarkCO

My cleaning regiment-

I clean my rifle a few days before a major match. Between each major, I don't touch it. Maybe it's a couple locals and a couple practice sessions between each cleaning, usually under 500 rounds.

I clean the bolt, carrier, and inside of the upper w/ FireClean. I use a rag w/ fireclean to wipe the hammer face and whatever I can reach in the lower w/out disassembling anything.

I run a patch w/ Hoppes through the bore using a .22 cal jag. Let it sit 5 minutes, then push a couple dry patches w/ the .22 cal jag. No brushes, and if the dry patches come out "not nasty", I'm done.

Lube? That's what the FireClean is for. Just a light coat. I've never accepted that a rifle must be run "wet" to function. If it has to be "wet" something is wrong w/ it.

I find this is the best way to get to the head of the line in the car wash bay on Sunday.

What is the "cleaning" that you speak of? I lube and shoot mine.

Yep...a little CLP every 1000 rounds or so (NiB bcg) and wiping it off whenever it looks nasty. The last time i cleaned my NiB bolt was when it looked like a phosphate due to the grime. I was getting occassional light primer strikes due to gunk build-up in firing pin channel. Wiped err off and she runs like a champ still.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

The warning about using foaming bore cleaner in gas guns is about the tendency for the foam to creep into the tube, loosen all the gunk up, and then reharden in a puddle which constricts the tube. I use the foaming stuff, but always use compressed air to blow the gunk back into the barrel from the carrier end forward, then patch it out. Never had a problem and gas tube stays as clean as using a pipe cleaner with less work.

Tom

The warning about using foaming bore cleaner in gas guns is about the tendency for the foam to creep into the tube, loosen all the gunk up, and then reharden in a puddle which constricts the tube. I use the foaming stuff, but always use compressed air to blow the gunk back into the barrel from the carrier end forward, then patch it out. Never had a problem and gas tube stays as clean as using a pipe cleaner with less work.

Tom

You really don't have to clean the gas tube. High speed gases do far more than your going to do with a pipe cleaner. I have been using the foam stuff for about 10 years now with no issues and I don't have an air compressor. Not a bad idea just saying it has not been needed for me.

Pat