Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 too heavy?

3djedi

OK been practicing and shooting the new eagle and got used to flipping the safety and everything but the main problem I have is speed with the thing. When I draw to the target I have a problem with it dancing around before it settles down. And when I transition to a new target I have a tendency to swing past. Im pretty sure its the weight of the 2011. Wasn't a problem with my plastic gun. Is this something that practice will overcome? Did you guys have the same problem switching to the 2011's?

Exactly why I sold my two Sentry's. My Glock 34 works best for me in Limited. The G21 and G22 are perfect (for me) in Production, and my Zev G17, I'm still working up a load for Open. For me, Glocks rock.

you could always have the slide chopped up. It makes the gun look sexy and people think it's go-fast gear. Might also help with the weight to lose the recoil master if you still have it.

I have a 6" that's stripped enough to feel like an Eagle. I like it once I got used to it. Plus the weight eats the recoil, so it's not all bad.

Bro, do u even lift?<br /><br />Lol all joking aside, switching from a Glock to any style 2011 is a huge weight difference and will take some getting used to, but once you do you will never go back :) Enjoy the heck out of that blaster of yours!<br /><br />Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

If I chop the slide I won't be able to use it in idpa esp.

You can flat top & serrate the slide & still be legal for ESP. Also, you can modify the cocking serrations (make wider cuts). Check the allowed mods for ESP at the IDPA site. There are other things you can do to reduce the weight. Reducing weight also increases recoil & site rise. So it's a delicate balance. My two (2) IDPA guns are flat topped & serrated. Hard Chromed Custom Colt for SS (40 S&W) & Bead Blasted Springfield Loaded Stainless Target (9mm) for ESP.

Definetly try an aluminum guide rod as that will remove an ounce or two from the front end. I remember the change from a 5.25 XDm 9mm to a STI Edge40 S&W, wow what a weight difference........ almost sold the Edge but got used to it then went to a 37 oz 6 inch from Benny Hill and it feels very light.

Hello: Use a Briley Aluminum guide rod from Sean at Power Factor Shooting. If you are shooting a 40 try some minor loads with a 17lb ISMI mainspring and 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring. If you are shooting major use a 14lb recoil spring. I shoot a Glock 34 and have no problems using a STI 2011. Do some practice drills and you will get it. Thanks, Eric

You didn't say which caliber you were shooting but a lot can be done with spring weights to settle the pistol down. 40 S@W I would check out the 1911 store and purchase recoil springs in 10, 12 and 14 pound as well as main springs in 15 and 17 pound. 9mm minor 9, 10 and 12 pound recoil springs. 45 ACP 12, 14, 16 pound recoil springs. Spend some time testing with a friend and a timer to see which spring weights pick your splits up.

Are you reloading? Some powders are softer shooting might do a search on your caliber. Factory ammo try for Federal Champion or UMC, softer shooting.

These guns like oil, it hard to over oil them. I use Mobil 1 5w30 but it doesn't matter which oil just don't run them dry.

Handle the pistol, watching TV handle it DRY during ads. Eagle is a good pistol and like all STI's may need a little tuning but once there it will hold. Once you learn the 2011 platform don't think you'll go back.