Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you have had a club die in your area?

Sandbagger123

IN my area, we are having problems with a particular club. All the MD's get burned out due to the lack of help. There is a drive to keep it alive, but it seems that it may be for naught if no one steps up to help.

So what happens when a club dies?? Have you ever had one die, and later come back to life???

What area are you in Sandbagger?

We are lucky to have a lot of different clubs in our area (USPSA, IDPA, Steel, and others). We can shoot pretty much every Saturday and Sunday if we like. I'd hate to see any die.

Did you step up?

we are stepping up, but we are not gonna do it without participation of others.

A range in CT switched from USPSA to IDPA.

My local NY range ran 4 USPSA matches last year, due to RO burnout

One range in PA stopped USPSA due to a dispute with the range.

Another range in PA switched over, mostly, to 3-gun

A range in FL was shut down over safety issues

Another range in FL shut down due to RO burnout

I can't shoot my Browning Hi-Power or my TruBor anywhere

in New York State anymore (mag restrictions).

:ph34r:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Club in Port Huron MI died. The last two matches were put on by two people. They setup, ran, scored and tore down the stages by themselves. USPSA competition and practice no longer exists there.

This is a volunteer sport. Without volunteers, it will evaporate.

BC

Death and resurrection. Couple years ago one of our major clubs, which hosted section and area matches, died for a season. New people came in, took over, revitalized the program with help from those who had gotten burned out before. They never lost the love for the game, just the drive to be the only people doing anything. Club just recently hosted the area match.

That being said we are seeing more people from other clubs going to help to setup at other clubs, nice, but in the long term, not what we want. I was pleased, however, to see new people step up and work the area match. Hope that enthusiasm carries over to monthly matches.

I seem to be having the same issues at my local spot. It is great that it is open most every day of the month, however that is slowing down. I feel lots of people that have wanted to step up, have been shot down from some of the stubborn older generation. I understand where they are coming from, because they have put a lot of work into making the range what it is now. But there is a need for changing some things up to give it a spark. I think if it got that spark we'd have 5-10 fold the interest out there.

Wish you luck, I just started getting some steel to our range, and another a better bowling pin set up. So hopefully ours works out too.