Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA sanctioned matches -vs- USPSA major matches

Paul-the new guy

nope. i worked it. we had slots and t shirts (I think like 6) at the start. Same thing with the Masters in Birmingham Al

The Masters doesn't turn anyone away according to their website. If you show up the morning of the match you can get shoot.

Im not sure how it works out west but in the South/South East there are way more IDPA "majors" than USPSA. There was 4 or 5 major IDPA matches in Tennessee last year and no major USPSA matches.

I shot the Masters in 2012, and the match and staff were great! The range was really nice as well.

I also have to agree with Craig on this, as I live in TN and shoot mainly across the southeastern US, KY, TN, VA, NC, GA, AL. It seems that there are more major IDPA's in this area than USPSA. But that may change in 10 years or even 20 years. Some clubs may have not decided to bring USPSA to their club yet and got started in IDPA like many shooters. Myself and a couple of other shooting friends brought USPSA to our club last year and it has always been a very active IDPA club. It is the sponsor of the VA State IDPA every year. So maybe that is why we are seeing more IDPA matches in this area. Who knows. Be safe out there guys and see you at the range.

EW

There are not going to be as many sanctioned matches in Tennessee this year.

Mid Tenn Shooters in Manchester has dropped affiliation so there will be no Southern Regional, Summer Sizzler, or Tennessee State.

Memphis was going to resume the Tri State Regional, but not this year, maybe next due to range construction.

There is a match at Gallatin in June and the Music City Cup later in the year.

And the Carters have dropped the Mississippi state to boot, with no replacement in sight.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's just location. From what I can tell, I have to drive 3 hours to get to any USPSA match and 10 minutes for local IDPA.

For me it about 1.5 hour drive to the nearest USPSA match, and there are two different clubs with in 30 mins of me.

Guess which one I shoot more.......................yup. USPSA.

3 hours would be a bit much to do regularly for a club match only though

There are not going to be as many sanctioned matches in Tennessee this year.

Mid Tenn Shooters in Manchester has dropped affiliation so there will be no Southern Regional, Summer Sizzler, or Tennessee State.

Memphis was going to resume the Tri State Regional, but not this year, maybe next due to range construction.

There is a match at Gallatin in June and the Music City Cup later in the year.

And the Carters have dropped the Mississippi state to boot, with no replacement in sight.

There will be the 2nd annual Secret City IDPA match at ORSA (Oak Ridge, Tennessee) on 2 August. Go to ORSAAP.com for an application.

Between 2002 and 2013, the Washington state IDPA match usually still had slots five months after registration opened. This year, we bumped capacity an additional ten shooters, and it filled in seven weeks.

There hasn't been an Oregon match for a few years, so there aren't many west-coast sanctioned matches to shoot.

Maybe it's just location. From what I can tell, I have to drive 3 hours to get to any USPSA match and 10 minutes for local IDPA.

For me it about 1.5 hour drive to the nearest USPSA match, and there are two different clubs with in 30 mins of me.Guess which one I shoot more.......................yup. USPSA.3 hours would be a bit much to do regularly for a club match only though
I have the opposite issue. There are a couple of USPSA clubs nearby, and the nearest IDPA club is 2 hours away. Guess which one I shoot more of....yep. IDPA is easily worth the drive. Edited by BillR1

I have shot as many as 16 santioned IDPA matches in a year. The majority do not fillup in a few days.

This year 7 IDPA and 8 USPSA. Just got in the Gator Classic. It is one of the toughest USPSA to get in an app in.

Could have signed up for more IDPA matches, but the 5 closest santioned to me decided not to have one this year. Our Tri-Sate(Memphis area), MS State and the three matches in Manchester, TN.