Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which match is considered "The" premier 3-Gun match?

Hello all..

I'm new to 3-gun competitions in general. I was wondering what event is considered the biggest or premier match to attend. For example, if you could only spring for one major event each year, which one is the one you wouldn't want to miss?

If I could only attend one, no question, the Crimson Trace Midnight Invitational.

Top tier: Superstition, Fallen Brethern, Rocky Mountain, FNH.

Not quite as big, but possibly equivalent or better shooter experience overall: Tarheel, Noveske, USPSA Nationals.

Shooting just one match would be a tortuous!

If I had to choose just one it would be ProAm 3 Gun Championship at The Rockcastle Shooting Center. Great match, great venue and you get to hang out with 500+ new shooting buddies.

+1

If I had to choose just one it would be ProAm 3 Gun Championship at The Rockcastle Shooting Center. Great match, great venue and you get to hang out with 500+ new shooting buddies.

and ironically youre not shooting it this year! WTF!?

I started shooting 3-gun March of 2013, so I'm a newbie for the most part. I couldn't tell you what was/is the premier match out there, but here is what I've picked up on.

Whether big or not, I constantly hear people talk about shooting at a Fort Benning match, and I've heard Fallen Brethren took it's place.

Last year, I shot MW3G, Ozarks, Fallen Brethren, and a couple smaller USPSA multiguns in Arkansas and Rolla, MO last year. I had zero issues getting into any of those matches, even when registering somewhat late for Fallen Brethren and Arkansas.

This year on the other hand, Fallen Brethren and the Pro-Am at Rockcastle were both using online registration and I had to sit and watch a timer roll down in order to get into them.....and they both have waiting lists now! I don't know if that makes them the premier matches or not, but they were the hardest matches to get into within the driving radius I was willing to consider from Kansas City!

My favorite match so far this year is probably Noveske in CO......but I'm leaving tomorrow morning at 6am for the Pro-Am, so my answer may be different Monday.

and ironically youre not shooting it this year! WTF!?

I know, right?!?! I screwed the pooch on that one.

For a new shooter: Pro-am, especially if you like the social aspect.

For my personal taste: Task Force Dagger, Blue Ridge, and on my bucket list... Rocky Mountain.

One of the best things about this sport, in my opinion, is the variety of "flavors" the matches come in...Individual MDs and venues have their own ideas of what "premier" is...

Thanks for the responses.

My first major will be this upcoming Fallen Brethren match... I've heard good things about it and I'm really excited. But I don't know much about the other matches, other than the announcements I see on this forum. It's nice to hear more background on the matches and what kind of stages and you can expect.. I'm noticing there are a lot of differences between one and the other, depending on region.

My first major will be this upcoming Fallen Brethren match... I've heard good things about it and I'm really excited. But I don't know much about the other matches, other than the announcements I see on this forum. It's nice to hear more background on the matches and what kind of stages and you can expect.. I'm noticing there are a lot of differences between one and the other, depending on region.

This will be my first major as well, I'm really looking forward to it and glad to hear it is so well received.

The good/bad thing about 3-gun majors is that when you shoot one you just can't stop! My first major was the MGM Ironman in June and I just finished my third even though two was it for the year, now I'm even trying to find another before superstition next year! They are way too much fun and you get to meet some fantastic people.

Good idea on the poll Craig, might be a great separate thread for all to see.

This will be my first major as well, I'm really looking forward to it and glad to hear it is so well received.

Fallen Brethren is definitely a top match! Plus it's in Texas which always helps. See you there.

There is no answer to this question given the plentiful bounty of major 3 gun matches out there now. In the old days, there was SOF. Then there was SOF, Supersitition and USPSA Nationals. Now who can say? Who could even shoot all of the major 3 gun matches enough to have a valid opinion?? Not even the AMU gets to hit them all.

People are only stating what their personal favorite is. I don't think any one match has a claim to the throne. I think Ft. Benning was the last match that really had a chance to be the ONE and that was b/c of the setting and the backing from the Army.

I think it depends on what you like? Low down, dirty, fast and furious? Go to Superstition Mtn, FNH, CMMG, ProAm or 3 Gun Nation. Cruel and unusual? Blue Ridge and Task Force Dagger. Technical shooting with big stages? Spartan Fallen Brethren or RM3G. Afraid of the dark? Don't go to Crimson Trace. Over the top? MGM.

Edited by kellyn

There is no answer to this question given the plentiful bounty of major 3 gun matches out there now. In the old days, there was SOF. Then there was SOF, Supersitition and USPSA Nationals. Now who can say? Who could even shoot all of the major 3 gun matches enough to have a valid opinion?? Not even the AMU gets to hit them all.

People are only stating what their personal favorite is. I don't think any one match has a claim to the throne. I think Ft. Benning was the last match that really had a chance to be the ONE and that was b/c of the setting and the backing from the Army.

I think it depends on what you like? Low down, dirty, fast and furious? Go to Superstition Mtn, FNH, CMMG, ProAm or 3 Gun Nation. Cruel and unusual? Blue Ridge and Task Force Dagger. Technical shooting with big stages? Spartan Fallen Brethren or RM3G. Afraid of the dark? Don't go to Crimson Trace. Over the top? MGM.

Well said!