Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Major Powders

Kraj

• 3 weeks later...

The OP did not mention what sort of bullets he is using and that matters a little bit.

For me I will use Titegroup for jacketed or plated loads and N320 for black or green bullets. Those are in my G35. I have not played around with a lot of other powders but once I run out of my current N320 supply I may have to experiment some.

I have another post up with the load data I used at GA State and the chrono results.

TG - hotter, little dirty, meters well, recoil a little snappy

N320 - clean, very little smoke with BBI or Bayou, mild recoil, meters well in my 550, hard to find

Slightly off topic a bit, but I went through to see what powder everyone is using and I didnt see power pistol in there at all. When I was buying my stuff for reloading a friend recommended it to me as he had good experience with it. Should I be looking at using something else? Sorry for the twist in topic.

Power Pistol is a good powder. Measures well, good case fill, powerful, can be extremely accurate with 155-180 gn bullets. The downside: very loud and bright muzzle flash. Lighter loads can be pretty dirty. Even hot loads can leave unspent powder in the barrel. I always use magnum primers with PP which seems to keep the barrel cleaner. YMMV.

Power Pistol is a good powder. Measures well, good case fill, powerful, can be extremely accurate with 155-180 gn bullets. The downside: very loud and bright muzzle flash. Lighter loads can be pretty dirty. Even hot loads can leave unspent powder in the barrel. I always use magnum primers with PP which seems to keep the barrel cleaner. YMMV.

simple and direct answer. I appreciate it.

I must be living dangerously as I have used Clays for years to make Major. Absolutely no pressure signs. Flattens the primer less than my carry load does - 180 gr Ranger Talon. Oh, that is out of a Glock 35 with that "unsupported" chamber. Titegroup is my second choice.

I must be living dangerously as I have used Clays for years to make Major. Absolutely no pressure signs. Flattens the primer less than my carry load does - 180 gr Ranger Talon. Oh, that is out of a Glock 35 with that "unsupported" chamber. Titegroup is my second choice.

Short (Glock length) OAL with clays major is not a good idea. I know by experience. Case head separation will eventually happen. Loading long and major is good considering you don't ever double charge. You are lucky Joe...for now.

Anything & Everything I can get my hands on. From Green dot to Solo with Red dot in there somewhere. Production & Limited is not as #@!* open :devil:

I agree with this. Right now I have loads worked up for Bullseye, and Unique. If I run low on one, I can switch right over to the other. But...... If I need to, I would run anything I can get my grubby paws on......

VV320 and Lovex D032

I have used Titegroup exclusively in both my XDm and the 1911 I'm currently shooting. I had occasion to be out at my gunsmiths checking out a few things and he let me shoot some lead rounds loaded with VVN320 and they were AMAZINGLY soft compared to my rounds running 5.0 grains of Titegroup under a plated 165gr HP. Like so soft that at first I thought I might have had a squib. I'd guess the recoil to be 60% of what I feel with Titegroup.

What I've discovered since is that the only thing harder to find right now than Titegroup....is VV320.

Edited by kcobean

VV320 and Lovex D032

I have used Titegroup exclusively in both my XDm and the 1911 I'm currently shooting. I had occasion to be out at my gunsmiths checking out a few things and he let me shoot some lead rounds loaded with VVN320 and they were AMAZINGLY soft compared to my rounds running 5.0 grains of Titegroup under a plated 165gr HP. Like so soft that at first I thought I might have had a squib. I'd guess the recoil to be 60% of what I feel with Titegroup.

What I've discovered since is that the only thing harder to find right now than Titegroup....is VV320.

I've made up some pretty soft .40 major loads with Titegroup and 180 gr Ibejiheads coated (similar to Bayou) bullets. I don't feel they had more recoil than the n320 loads I tested out during that session, and the TG loads had a +5-10PF difference. Perhaps your problem is you are trying to make major with a lighter bullet.