Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester primer quality control

Truegent2004

Last night I shot a match with my 40 cal using a recent batch of ammo I reloaded with Winchester small pistol primers. All of the rounds were case guaged and checked for primer depth. When I load my primers from the flip try I try to inspect for color and anvils but I dont always look real close.

I had 4 misfires in the match! All of the rounds were inspected and had solid primer strikes and yes my gun is clean and the slide was all the way forward.

Seeing as how the primers I used were purchased this year and after the component selling/hoarding madness had started can I assume that winchester is making conessions on quality control in favor of trying to keep up with demand.

Any other similar experiences out there?

In my experience misfires that fired on second strike were almost always high primers. When you loaded this batch was there any extra pressure needed in seating the new primers? Did you use different brass? Recheck that the shell plate is tight. I've used Winchester without problems for years now. If not high primers, I would check the gun as JakeMartins suggests.

NEVER had a issue with Winchester.

Yeah...upwards 50k of Win primers, small and magnum, and I don't recall ANY issues...can't say that for Remington, CCI, Federal..

last 50k of Win loaded -- caught 4 bad primers in loading tubes (anvil sideways or not all the way in). also had 2 that didn't go bang, on dis-assembly they were just a clean primer cup,never had anything in them.

last 50k of Win loaded -- caught 4 bad primers in loading tubes (anvil sideways or not all the way in). also had 2 that didn't go bang, on dis-assembly they were just a clean primer cup,never had anything in them.

The OP had four in a match, something like a 3 to 4% rate of bad rounds. Sherwyn had 6 in 50K, a 0.012% rate.

I'm pretty sure neither rate would be acceptable for Winchester's QC, but the first is so high a rate that I'd look first at some factor besides the primers themselves.

I have had a few failure to fire with WSP recently in my xdm. Out of the 500 I bought recently I had 2 (probably from the same 100) not work. Only problem I have ever had with Winchester, although I have not been loading for a very long time either. I won't say Winchester doesn't have issues but not enough for that high of a failure rate either I would say.

Hopefully you can figure out the problem quickly with everybody's suggestions. I will do the same with any more I have as well.