Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old timers - could that have been an open gun?

Foxbat

I don't go back far enough in sport to figure out if this was, at one time, an IPSC gun... if so - which division?

The scope mount seems to imply Open, but no comp and single stack - was there once such a configuration?

post-21305-0-95740000-1375326527_thumb.j

Single Stack Open ? yeah there was such a thing back before Para frames

when comps had only 2 ports and Chip McCormick was selling magazines and then new "prepped" parts kits

Late 80s early 90s

Some folks went for long slides as recoil management but Dots were mostly Tasco PDPs before a Dentist came out with a "Serendipity"

DSCF1085.jpg

Circa 1990 LaRocca .38Super two-toned and a Practical Pistol Services 10mm both single stacks

I'd say that up until about mid'91 - through 92, which was the advent of the Caspian and CMC modular frames, the vast majority of guns were single stack. Para had a niche but not a strong foothold yet, at least in the area I was shooting. Single stack .45s were dinosaurs by about '89-'90 but some liked them because they were easy to make Major (175 pf) and you didn't have to deal with the hassles of loading .38 super...and at local matches every body got their brass back as brassing was one of the chores the squads did between shooters. Lots of .38 super single stack guns were built from the '90-'93 time frame. It wasn't until about '93 when actually getting your hands on a hi-cap gun became realistic. I felt fortunate to get one of the first 50 Caspian hi-caps and 5 mags to go with the frame from Gary Smith. Optics didn't become mandatory for the A-M classes (no Grand Master class yet) until about '91, and it was a big discussion point about whether the red dots were a fad or were actually faster and more "practical" than irons.

There were no official divisions. It was heads up competition against the other people in your class. Some matches had a tact gun category (basically .45 single stacks w/ no compensators)rules), and revolver....but that was about it.

Still got some of the old single stack guns, can't seem to part with them. ;)

BTW - I have a set of those same exact skip checked grips on the middle gun. Not using them if you need a spare set. :D

Hard to say what Foxbat's gun is. Some liked the longslides, but they were kind of finicky as I recall. The mount looks like it is drilled for a Weigand, got a spare one of those for a 30mm red dot if you want it , not using that anymore either.

Nice looking guns! Need to petition the board to start up a Retro division. (ok, that was a joke!)

Edited by Bamboo

I was in a local gun store yesterday and saw two single stack, single port .45 ACP comp guns on the shelf. A trip down memory lane I tell ya! :roflol:

I had my Smith cut the comp off of mine...An early Wilson gun....shot it in limited awhile. Now it is my son's pride and joy. Still shoots like a laser beam.

Edited by Kyreb

45 with 7's

Now that is just crazy talk! :roflol:

But I'd play. :cheers:

I've done it with 8 rounders. In a Springfield Factory Comp.

The picture does look like a Safari Arms long slide.

(Also looks like an optic was removed, is the ejection port lowered?)

Probably old enough to fall in time before Divisions of Open / Limited. Or someone used it as bullseye gun. Or the frame was on an open gun later converted to...... ?

Yes, also it looks like an Olympic frame. The early open guns just had comps and were single stacks, usually .45s although some .38 Supers were also used.

full-matchmaster5-1.jpg

Safari Arms Machmaster. Olympic Arms owns them now.

Even now for some sports Open Single stacks make sense. In Steel Challenge each string of fire only requires 5 rounds, and if you are shooting more than 6 or 7 you are not really in the game. For Bianchi Cup with 6 round only strings a single stack is all you need...

^^^

Absolutely agree. Misses don't get you down that road very far!

My "real" steel challenge gun is an old single stack open .38 super gat with a cool old school two hole comp...light and points very well for steel.

It actually runs minor 9mm pretty well, too. If I ever get serious about running Steel Challenge again that is what I would use.

It is a great looking gun.

Love the pinto finish, the wood grips (Kim Ahrend's?), Chip's carbon fiber trigger (with Ti stirrup?), hand checkering on the frontstrap and trigger guard, slightly chopped slide with unique front cocking serrations, and a real bomar sight....yep, that is a true classic!

Defiantly a springfield slide. Not sure who's comp that is, but it is cool!

I can look at a shark gilled cnc machined modern wonder gun and just kind of go, meh, whatever...it is just a tool to get a job done. But, the old guns intrigue me as almost all of them are one-offs and were built up by hand (not just assembled from store bought parts) and shot with love. Kind of like looking at a cool old muscle car, but even more personal. :cheers:

It is a great looking gun.

Love the pinto finish, the wood grips (Kim Ahrend's?), Chip's carbon fiber trigger (with Ti stirrup?), hand checkering on the frontstrap and trigger guard, slightly chopped slide with unique front cocking serrations, and a real bomar sight....yep, that is a true classic!

Defiantly a springfield slide. Not sure who's comp that is, but it is cool!

I can look at a shark gilled cnc machined modern wonder gun and just kind of go, meh, whatever...it is just a tool to get a job done. But, the old guns intrigue me as almost all of them are one-offs and were built up by hand (not just assembled from store bought parts) and shot with love. Kind of like looking at a cool old muscle car, but even more personal. :cheers:

Built by the late dick Bancroft. He was way ahead of the curve...went with commander length slides, multichambered comps, real checkering. Started life in 45 ACP for second chance. Went to 38 super later. Still have the 45acp top end. Fun to shoot. Just waiting for USPSA to create the " classic" division. Old guns and old dudes.