Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 style single stack good for IDPA

Wrinkles

1911 is like a classic car. Leave it stock and run the 289 it came with and it just takes some little tweaks to keep it going.

Now you wanna pull the 289 and drop in a 347 stroker. Car wasn't designed for that so you have to do some work to keep it running.

Lol with all that said what's the issue :-)

Just got a Trojan myself. Dawson/Metalform mags are the ticket for me. I can't get Tripps to feed the first round from slide-lock because they're so damned tight to fit 10. The light recoil spring for the minor load isn't enough to send the slide to full battery when the rounds are in there so tight. Otherwise, it's all tuned up and not a feeding/firing problem in 900 rounds so far.

Sentry + Tripp mags here. Had the trigger worked and no issues in ~8000 rounds and counting. I did put a FLGR and IMSI spring in at some point for preference, but didn't have any problems before or after.

Had a Trojan for a while that ran just as well.

-424D57

Edited by 424D57

I run a Taurus PT 1911 w/ a 13 # recoil spring, Cylinder & Slide lightened mainspring, Tripp Cobra mags and had a Williams Firesight adjustable rear sight installed (needed a bit of milling) and cleaned up the internals. I'm about 5K thru it and it just runs like a Timex. Everything needs a bit of TLC when you build a racer.

Just my .02 ... well, actually more like .0144 after IRS. When Capone did it we called it extortion .... now it's just called income tax. Same garbage.

I just picked up an STI Spartan 9mm. I added a Dawson magwell, Ed Brown ambi safety, green fiber optic rod in the stock sight, & a 17# Wolff main spring. It came with a Metalform 9rd Springfield mag which works perfectly with roundnose bullets, haven't tried anything else yet. Waiting on some Dawson 10rd. mags to arrive. They are Metalforms that Dawson polishes, replaces the followers, springs and basepads, and sells for $5 more than stock mags. I'm not missing the ramped barrel, as I will not be shooting major or even warm loads in this gun. I had issues with the ramped barrels in my last two Trojans feeding anything but RN bullet shapes. Gonna shoot it awhile, then probably off the chrome platers.

Oh, and they run about half the cost of a Trojan. If only they made a .40...

Edited by OPENB

+1 on the STI Trojan. I have a pair (9mm & .45) and they are excellent. I shoot the 9mm in IDPA. Got it through Dawson with the Dawson no gap magwell and Dawson mags. Runs great. It's never failed me in a match (or anywhere else).

I have a Springfield 1911 in a 9mm that i am not completely enamored with. Looking at a S&W or Kimber or something else that just keeps on running. In a 9mm. Any ideas of what has worked for you ?

From what I have only heard and read the Springfield 1911 in 9 mm is a good gun and I certainly would not be looking at the other two brands mentioned.

As other posters have mentioned it would be good to know exactly what the issue is here ?

I keep having trouble with the last round not ejecting I am using tripp and wilson mags. It does not do it all the times ,just when you are at a match.

Check extractor tension. It's a quick fix. The standard 1911 extractor can lose tension with use. An Aftec usually fixes a persistent problem. If the extractor is letting go of the case before it can hit the ejector, you will have ejection problems.

I run a STI Spartan for SS Minor and as a backup for IDPA:

EGW Melt Bushing fit to factory barrel, SV Short Flat Trigger, S&A Magwell blended, VZ Grips, Ed Brown extended mag release, Ed Brown Match Extractor, 15# mainspring, 9# recoil spring, Shock Buff, Trigger job on factory sear and disconnector, Replaced hammer with SVI hammer, Aluminum Guiderod (for 43 oz weight reasons) and skate tape on the front strap. Then polished the hell out of everything.15.6 oz trigger pull now that it has settled.

I run BBI 147 moly and feed thru Wilson ETM mags with zero issues. 133-135 PF, Non Ramped Barrel and all.

Honestly I could not tell you what it really shot like fresh, as I made all of the mods immediately after getting it. The gun would not run worth a crap new. She's ugly now, bluing worn off from kydex and table starts, and has over 50,000 rounds down the pipe.

I do not think there is anything wrong with any of them if you are willing to put enough time and money into them to make them your own.

I keep having trouble with the last round not ejecting I am using tripp and wilson mags. It does not do it all the times ,just when you are at a match.

Check extractor tension. It's a quick fix. The standard 1911 extractor can lose tension with use. An Aftec usually fixes a persistent problem. If the extractor is letting go of the case before it can hit the ejector, you will have ejection problems.

I have no idea of your pistol's history. I would follow the advice given above with the additional note: 9mm 1911s have slightly different dimensions in extractor (all stemming from a different cartridge than .45acp!), so a quick check would certainly eliminate the possibility of the wrong part.

The last round is different in that there is no following round that guides the extraction of the fired cartridge, so I can see how a weak extractor could release the empty before the ejector can bounce it out.

If you've done extractor work on 1911s before, 9s are not anymore difficult to work with than 45acp, just go slow if you plan on reshaping it, especially by the "eyeball" method. If you have not, there's a ton of literature out there on adjusting and testing extractor tension.

Good luck!

Edited by mister2

Do the 10-8 Performance extractor test.

Like the others said, its most likely your extractor.

I have thousands of rounds through my SA Loaded without issue.

If you are getting work done, I would also have the ejector pinned. I've seen a quite a few come loose and cause issues.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have ordered a new extractor . I am reloading 4.0 grs of Bullseye with 124 gr xtreem bullet . Works in my Caspian .I will also try a 12# spring.

If not then I will try to convince my wife why we need just one more pistol a STI Trojan.