Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun AR Comp question

Mike Bell

Hey yall,

I have another 3gun question. Before I order a comp for my AR, I was wondering about top ports on a rifle compensator for 3 gun. I've noticed some of rifle comps don't have top ports but every pistol comp I've ever seen does.

So my question is for the rifle in 3gun (shooting fast and keeping it on target), is the recoil more straight back compared to a pistol's flipping up, making the top ports not nesasary if the recoil is being redirected forward from the comp? Does that make since?

I was going to order the Jerry Miculek Comp from Brownells for $40 but the Benny Hill with top ports is $90. Is the Benny Hill comp worth that extra $50

Im really thinking about getting the Miculek comp and putting it in the vise at work and cutting some top ports. I don't have time right now, but I will probly just make one sooner or later.

The lateral ports on the Miculek do partially face up. the wider "vertical part" goes at the bottom, the skinnier one at top, if you put it on square. Until you clock it the way JM recommends, then it is pointed more up at an angle on on the dominant side.

Are talking about this first port? Looks like the slot is wider torge the top side making it narrower across the top looking down? If Im looking at it right I guess it is sort of gassing it upwards.

l

l

V

p_231000038_1.jpg

I'm getting the Miculek comp, cause P Kelly told me too! I'm a fan and he is cool!

Aw come on now...What I say is nothing more than my opinion backed up with some experience.

The Miculek works, it is cheap and it is simple to install. Shoot that for awhile and see what YOUR experience tells you.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Mr. Patrick, Im new to the 3guns game and your "opinion backed up with some experience" means a lot to us fans. So thank you for sharing it. And if you ever offer any 3-gun or competition training classes around Georgia, Id like to get any info on attending one.

Oh and by the way, last week while on vacation, I came across (and bought) the new book, the "Complete Guide To 3-GUN Competition" by Chad Adams. I now recommend this book to anyone interested in 3gun. It was a great read, and I did it in two days, cover to cover.

I was very impressed with the Nordic Components Corvette comp myself. It's $50, when it is in stock. I had it on a carbine length gas 16" barrel M&P15 and thought it did a fantastic job with the recoil. My custom 3-gun rifle (soon to be for sale) has the Rolling Thunder and that seems good. My 16" Carbon Arms upper (mid-length gas) has a Firebird comp that got big compliments from my squad in a shot house CQB tactical 2-gun competition. I was too busy running from room to room to pay much attention to the rifle movement!

In the end, I think Patrick's philosophy is sound. Buy something simple and inexpensive, then adapt over time. Of the inexpensive, commercially available comps, the Nordic Corvette is my personal "go to", but the Miculek is also inexpensive and has a long track record. Maybe just find whichever of those two is currently available (or flip a coin), buy it, and drive on? Good luck on match day!

Hey yall,

I have another 3gun question. Before I order a comp for my AR, I was wondering about top ports on a rifle compensator for 3 gun. I've noticed some of rifle comps don't have top ports but every pistol comp I've ever seen does.

So my question is for the rifle in 3gun (shooting fast and keeping it on target), is the recoil more straight back compared to a pistol's flipping up, making the top ports not nesasary if the recoil is being redirected forward from the comp? Does that make since?

I was going to order the Jerry Miculek Comp from Brownells for $40 but the Benny Hill with top ports is $90. Is the Benny Hill comp worth that extra $50

Im really thinking about getting the Miculek comp and putting it in the vise at work and cutting some top ports. I don't have time right now, but I will probly just make one sooner or later.

A vote for a SJC titan brake here. Love all 3 of mine.

Pat

I use the Miculek. It works, but it's loud. It seems louder than a lot of other brakes out there.

No good brake is going to be quite. Generally the more effective the brake the louder it is. Use plugs and muffs if it bothers you.

Pat

You can't go wrong with the Miculek. I started with it and because of my incessant need to always be tinkering I gave the SJC Titan a try. It was very nice but when I shot them side by side I couldn't tell the difference on my setup and certainly couldn't justify the $70 difference...so I went back the Miculek. I enjoyed it for a while but because of my aforementioned need, I now run a Benny Hill Rolling Thunder.

You can't go wrong with the Miculek. , I now run a Benny Hill Rolling Thunder.

How do you compare the two? Is the BHRT better than the Miculek? :cheers:

That's a tough one. I like the BHRT better but I am also shooting it on a different set up. I was running my JM on my 16" mid and now I run an 18" rifle. For now I am very happy with the BHRT and have no plan to change.

That's a tough one. I like the BHRT better but I am also shooting it on a different set up. I was running my JM on my 16" mid and now I run an 18" rifle. For now I am very happy with the BHRT and have no plan to change.

What he means is, after drilling the RT he cant take it back :P

What he means is, after drilling the RT he cant take it back :P

Am I that transparent?

What size? 16oz or 32oz Campbell's soup can? Does it matter if it had chicken soup, or does it have to be tomato soup?

:-)

But it's possible he could win with a Campbell's Tomato Soup can also. :roflol: