Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any love for 20" Blasters?

Obsucrem

I am a fan of 20" ARs. Both of my TI rifles are 20" Gov't profile barrels. HBAR is too heavy in my opinion to drive from target to target on short transitions. I first became a fan of the 20" rifle for the extended sight radius shooting irons, but the barrel is light enough for most 3-gun applications I would think. Neither barrels was over $250. 4150 Chrome lined.

The standard gov't profile 20" is overlooked too often as a cost effective barrel for a 3-gun build.

Edited by Lead-Head

Kurt, if I may ask, what particular barrel profiles do you use on the 20" rifles you use most frequently? I'm not sure how many different 20" profiles are in mass production, so that might be a stupid question to ask. I'm hoping it's relevant to the original post and the thread's theme. Thank you.

-- Mike S.

Kurt, if I may ask, what particular barrel profiles do you use on the 20" rifles you use most frequently? I'm not sure how many different 20" profiles are in mass production, so that might be a stupid question to ask. I'm hoping it's relevant to the original post and the thread's theme. Thank you.

-- Mike S.

This for me as well, I like the barrel length and I intend on using it for matches that focus on distance and longer range spinners, the only problem is that I'm having a hard time finding good 20" barrel that will be sufficiently accurate that isn't a full on Bull or HBAR profile. BCM Fluted SAM-R seems tempting for a precision build but 42oz may be a bit past where I want to go on the weight. I think that JPs weight is right around the same as well.

I've been running a 20" JP15 with medium profile for years. It's a little slower on the fastest, closest courses, but there aren't very many of those flame thrower matches in our area and it's just plain golden everywhere else. I did install a PRI carbon fiber hand guard to shed a few ounces out of the nose, but that's the only change I made. Someday when the barrel burns up (yrs from now) I plan to install a light profile barrel, but it isn't any sort of burning need. I have a short light rifle too, but to be honest, I'm not a real snappy, intense type of competitor. I really prefer a more smooth and fluid movement style. The few extra ounces in the nose smooths things out when shooting off hand and shooting on the move. Also the extra velocity allows me to run my loads more mid charge which smooths out recoil management and still have a fast flat load, which is improtant when shooting irons or 1x.

Edited by co-exprs

I run J.P. medium contour barrels in my match rifles ( J.P. CTR-02s). In my practice rifles I run a .750 from the taper at the chamber all the way forward. This is my favorite profile, stiff enough but also very light. I have been pushing that profile since 2004, and some makers even offer it as an available profile.

20" is my preference as well. My game gun uses a 20" fluted WOA bbl. it is heavier than a light profile bbl but so smooth that my split times make up for any addition to transitions. Although for me in on the clock comparisons I can not find a differance between my 20 and other shorter bbl'd rifles I have. Feels different but the timer doesn't lie.

I've been taking my daughter to the range periodically to shot AR's. She's 14 and only 5'4" tall, normal 14yr old girl build. At first she prefered my 16" Noveske with the light profile barrel. It weighs in under 7lbs, so it's just the right size for her. After shooting a bit she now prefers the 20" JP15 and doesn't mind the extra pound of weight because the rifle is so smooth to shoot. As to running and gunning on fast courses... I weigh 210lbs. It takes way more energy to get my body moving than it does to transition the rifle. There is far more opportunity for me to improve my times with exercise and drinking less beer.

I run J.P. medium contour barrels in my match rifles ( J.P. CTR-02s). In my practice rifles I run a .750 from the taper at the chamber all the way forward. This is my favorite profile, stiff enough but also very light. I have been pushing that profile since 2004, and some makers even offer it as an available profile.

I recently built a 20" with a BCM Sam-R barrel but then turned it down to .750 under the hand guard. I am very happy with it, as you stated, light weight and well ballanced. Easy to carry all day as a hunting rifle also.

...In my practice rifles I run a .750 from the taper at the chamber all the way forward. This is my favorite profile, stiff enough but also very light. I have been pushing that profile since 2004, and some makers even offer it as an available profile.

Who manufactures this barrel? AFAIK, JP 20" is only JP medium contour (at least that is what is listed on their website).