Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any love for 20" Blasters?

Obsucrem

J.P. used to make a 20" light profile, but dropped it due to everyone wanting 18" barrels. Saturn makes a .750 barrel as well as W.O.A. Got to say the Criterion light 20" is a great barrel as well.

...In my practice rifles I run a .750 from the taper at the chamber all the way forward. This is my favorite profile, stiff enough but also very light. I have been pushing that profile since 2004, and some makers even offer it as an available profile.

Who manufactures this barrel? AFAIK, JP 20" is only JP medium contour (at least that is what is listed on their website).

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php

I saw this as well, only medium contour listed with the thick gas block. My last 3 gun barrel was an 18" .750 all the way down as well. Seemed to be a great accuracy vs. weight ratio, would be cool if I could find this or slightly thicker in a 20".

I run J.P. medium contour barrels in my match rifles ( J.P. CTR-02s). In my practice rifles I run a .750 from the taper at the chamber all the way forward. This is my favorite profile, stiff enough but also very light. I have been pushing that profile since 2004, and some makers even offer it as an available profile.

I recently built a 20" with a BCM Sam-R barrel but then turned it down to .750 under the hand guard. I am very happy with it, as you stated, light weight and well ballanced. Easy to carry all day as a hunting rifle also.

Was this the full profile Sam-R or the fluted one you started with?

I helps a buddy build a Tac Iron rifle early last year. We used a Lilja AR740, 20" barrel. .750 wasp cut and .740 out front. It is almost exactly the same weight as my mid contour JP 20" barrel and shifts a few ounces towards the rear. The 3/4" front cut makes mounting a front sight to the barrel much easier (due to the plethera of options available). The barrel has been sub MOA with everything we've put through it and his only complaint is that the rifle hits with boreing regularity.

I don't know who makes the JP barrels. I've heard some say Lilja and others say Wilson. Whomever makes the blanks... they sure shoot nice.

I helps a buddy build a Tac Iron rifle early last year. We used a Lilja AR740, 20" barrel. .750 wasp cut and .740 out front. It is almost exactly the same weight as my mid contour JP 20" barrel and shifts a few ounces towards the rear. The 3/4" front cut makes mounting a front sight to the barrel much easier (due to the plethera of options available). The barrel has been sub MOA with everything we've put through it and his only complaint is that the rifle hits with boreing regularity.

I don't know who makes the JP barrels. I've heard some say Lilja and others say Wilson. Whomever makes the blanks... they sure shoot nice.

Thats a pretty awesome cut and a decent price. Any experience with barrel life on Lilja?

I run J.P. medium contour barrels in my match rifles ( J.P. CTR-02s). In my practice rifles I run a .750 from the taper at the chamber all the way forward. This is my favorite profile, stiff enough but also very light. I have been pushing that profile since 2004, and some makers even offer it as an available profile.

I recently built a 20" with a BCM Sam-R barrel but then turned it down to .750 under the hand guard. I am very happy with it, as you stated, light weight and well ballanced. Easy to carry all day as a hunting rifle also.

Was this the full profile Sam-R or the fluted one you started with?

I used a full profile barrel rather than the fluted. I was going to have it fluted after turning but was happy with the results after turning it down.

My Tac Limited rifle was built using a Colt M16A2 barrel that I had lying around. I cut off the front sight tower and bayonet lug, smoothed it all out and finished it in engine block paint. Instant lo pro gas block that is pinned in place and isn't going to go anywhere.

When I tested it with a 1-6 Swaro scope, it was good enough to hit Larues at 600 yards. No problem with hits out to 300+ with a 2MOA Aimpoint PRO. Whole rifle weighs 7.5 lbs with Aimpoint and empty magazine in place.

Mick

The 3 Gun Nation folks are going the opposite direction!

http://3gunnation.com/news/details/artmid/509/articleid/128163/the-light-rifle

That's cause their matches have become carbine matches.

Indeed, it seems like those same competitors were still running longer rifles at ironman this year.

Yeah, in other interviews I've read, the discussion is about matching the rifle to the particular match. For the television recorded Pro competitions, they have been going small and fast on the rifles (some even going with red dots or similar 1x optics). Heck the AMU guys have been sporting SBRs, right? However, for longer range matches they go back to the previous formula of 18"-20" with 1-6x (or similar) optics. What's funny is that I may follow them with a "Two Upper" strategy because I'm seeing two types of matches in my area over the course of a year; club matches of 230 yards and in and then farm or natural terrain matches with 400+ yard rifle shots.

First rifle I ever used was the M16-A1, so I like the look and feel of lighter weight 20" barrels. Speaking of which, are government profile 20" barrels the lightest profile generally available?

Edited by michael1778

My first rifle was a 20" JP15. Awesome gun and regretted switching to the 18" CTR02. The med bbl profile JP uses is perfect for balance. As was stated, splits are really nice w/ a JP 20" and transitions are smoother. Heavier bbl/rifle swings smoother and in less likely to blow by the target w/ a 20".

Those Criterion barrels are sure are cost effective. Might have to grab one and try it out during the winter down time.

Who carries the 20" Criterion lighter profile in stock these days?

Got to wonder if Im underestimating the accuracy of a good government profile 20". BCM nearly always has a standard government profile CHF in stock

The "Standard" in the product name refers to the manufacturing method, I think. The plain 20" gov profile barrel and similar 20" upper are not noted with their BFH "branding". That is their 'Barrel, Forged, Hammer' acronym. Your point still stands. I wonder about their accuracy myself.

You can back order the 20" Criterion hybrid contour barrels from Brownell's.

As for the BCM government profile barrel, the hammer forging is irrelevant. It is a standard USGI profile 20" chrome lined barrel with 5.56mm chamber and 1/7" twist. It will still likely outlast a standard stainless barrel....

Mick

My first rifle was a 20" JP15. Awesome gun and regretted switching to the 18" CTR02. The med bbl profile JP uses is perfect for balance. As was stated, splits are really nice w/ a JP 20" and transitions are smoother. Heavier bbl/rifle swings smoother and in less likely to blow by the target w/ a 20".

Did you switch from a 20" med contour to an 18" light contour?

Got to wonder if Im underestimating the accuracy of a good government profile 20". BCM nearly always has a standard government profile CHF in stock

My two standard govt profile 20" barrels will shoot factory,Wal-Mart variety ammo into a 1.5" group at 100yrds and ring steel at 438yrds (the longest target at TFD). They will probably print tighter groups at 100, but they are both irons rifles and that is about as good as I can consistently shoot with irons. Both 5.56 chambers and CL bores. BUT hey are 1:9 twist.

I only have one AR and shooting irons it had to be a 20". I got a shilen match barrel turned down to JP medium specs with the muzzle left .750 for the JP front sight unshimmed.

I am amazed at how accurate it is and often shoot 1moa groups with it as far as I can accurately define a target.

I had the chance to compete with the gun at a regional champs late last year and was suprised to find I won a short range hosefest outright against plenty of short open guns.

I love how that rifle shoots offhand too, really stable.

P.D.

...In my practice rifles I run a .750 from the taper at the chamber all the way forward. This is my favorite profile, stiff enough but also very light. I have been pushing that profile since 2004, and some makers even offer it as an available profile.

Who manufactures this barrel? AFAIK, JP 20" is only JP medium contour (at least that is what is listed on their website).

I saw this as well, only medium contour listed with the thick gas block. My last 3 gun barrel was an 18" .750 all the way down as well. Seemed to be a great accuracy vs. weight ratio, would be cool if I could find this or slightly thicker in a 20".

Give Compass Creek a call. They will custom contour a barrel for you. Great people to work with. I have a 18" SPR contour made from a Douglas stainless blank that is sub MOA. It is heavy enough to be steady but compact enough for CQB. I am sure they could build you one in 20".

Give Compass Creek a call. They will custom contour a barrel for you. Great people to work with. I have a 18" SPR contour made from a Douglas stainless blank that is sub MOA. It is heavy enough to be steady but compact enough for CQB. I am sure they could build you one in 20".

Sounds like another good option to look into, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I also like the 20 inch, and that's how Stoner designed it. I've been using the 20 inch Criterion Hybrid and I like it alot.

He was dealing with a military that had been using 22" barrels for how long? I wonder if some of that influenced his design. Also, was he ever responding to any government requirements that had a minimum barrel length? I just ask those out in the open. I doubt any of us could have real answers, more food for collective thought.

That said, I love my 18" Criterion hybrid. The 20" should be fab. If I were doing a 20" build that's what I would get, certainly.