Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DOH vs. No DOH

saibot

I've been wondering about whether or not to use my BladeTech DOH holster or my non-DOH holster and thought I'd ask you all if anyone has done any experiments going back and forth and if you have any quantifiable data between the two. Anyone move from one to the other and back? I never timed things with my old non-DOH holster and have been using the DOH version for a while now and it just never felt as good as my old one. Since I never recorded my draw times back then maybe it's just in my head, but thought I'd ask the experts before I stated screwing around with things.

I strictly use the non DOH holster. I know my setup is different with IDPA & USPSA, but I use the same holster. I try to keep the position relatively close for both so its somewhat consistent on my draw.

My friend and I both have used the DOH but have changed to just use the holster and not the drop part of the holster. When he drew the gun from the holster he would 50% of the time have problems getting the gun out of the holster it would move in a way that became a problem I had the same issue. We both took the drop part off and all was good.

Initially I was a limited shooter with DOH, then switched to Single Stack with no DOH. Draw times have gotten faster ( though that should happen as you practice (dry fire) more.

Fastest 10 yard A zone HIT DRAW was during a class with Manny from a non-DOH @ 0.77 sec

YMMV

Edited to add: I am not a scooper

Edited by zhunter

I've never like the drop part. It would cant away sometimes on the draw. Plus since I shoot so much SS and then some IDPA I like to keep things the same.

What I have done on my USPSA holsters is put some rubber spacers between the holster and tec loc to push it out a bit.

Love my Doh. I started with a normal holster. I find it kind of annoying having to use a standard holster for IDPA. I think the doh holds the gun at a more natural height compared to were my hands hang when naturally at my sides.

If you plan to do any IDPA, then settle into the non-DOH (I think Blade-tech now calls it the DOS for "Drop Off-Set") and stick with it. I think standardization is important. If you're exclusive to USPSA, the DOS attachment is easilly removed and reattached. Try them both and see what feels best.

I recently decided to ditch my IDPA time, so I'm switching over to Production setups exclusively. I added the DOS attachment to my holster because I never really cared for the high IDPA position on my belt... and I'm still figuring it out.

I have used both. The BladeTech was wearing the chrome off my gun. I stopped using it.

I really prefer the Safariland holsters. My draw times have not degraded using a non-DOH.

I ditched the DOH attachment. Too floppy for me, too gamey. My draw was marginally faster from surrender with std position, no difference I could measure from hands at sides position. The floppiness really bugged me.

i agree that the floppyness annoyed me too. Hell most of the day the damn gun is pointing at your thigh . I recently got a Ghost Stinger for just those reasons. I'm going to be trying it out , but i can tell you already i like the layout . I may end up mounting the bladetech on the ghost mount at some point or maybe a safariland plain polymer / kydex holster.

I love the cutaways that you did JCarpenter , that may have to be done . What did you cut it on ?

Thank you all for the great comments! I think a little dryfire is in order with and without and see how it goes. The floppyness bugs me too and having it pointed at my thigh never sat well with me either. I had no real issue with the non DOH when I was shooting a standard M&P but adopted the DOH when I got the M&P Pro with the 5" barrel thinking it would offset the longer draw. We'll see how it goes.

:)

Thanks again, all!

I've only used the DOH when I was deployed to Afghanistan. I was issued a drop-leg SERPA and hated using it, so I switched to the DOH, because it put the gun in a spot close to where I was used to it and allowed me to draw while I was in body armor.

I only shoot USPSA and 3 gun but the DOH is my prefered holster for several reasons. Mostly it lowers the grip of the pistol so it is not in the way while loading or shooting the shotgun and rifle. I also find that I can clear the longer slide a little easier with the DOH design.

i agree that the floppyness annoyed me too. Hell most of the day the damn gun is pointing at your thigh . I recently got a Ghost Stinger for just those reasons. I'm going to be trying it out , but i can tell you already i like the layout . I may end up mounting the bladetech on the ghost mount at some point or maybe a safariland plain polymer / kydex holster.

I love the cutaways that you did JCarpenter , that may have to be done . What did you cut it on ?

My buddy Troy at TripleCrownHolsters put that cut in it.

Had Bladetech and Comp-Tac DOH's. I did not like the floppiness - if I came out of the holster in anything less than perfectly straight up and out, the floppiness became a factor and the gun didn't release smoothly from the holster. I struggled with getting a consistent grip on the pistol - felt like it was hanging out in space and sometimes I had to find it (as opposed to having it right up on my belt.) In addition to that, with the DOH's I never felt like there was enough room between the grip and my belt in order to get my thumb in the place that I wanted it - it'd run either into the belt or into the 'ledge' of the DO attachment. So now I'm using both as belt ride holsters...except that I've put about three washers (and corresponding longer screws) in between the holster and the belt attachment, giving me just a little bit more room but not having the holster too far away from my belt.

I did play around with Ghost Stinger holsters - liked the attachment (no floppiness) but didn't like the holster - feels very light and wasn't as smooth as the Bladetech and Comp-Tac's. So I built frankenholsters with them - bought Bladetech Black Ice belt ride holsters and attached the Black Ice holster to the Ghost Stinger hanger.

I'm not happy with my draw speed (I'm 1.1-1.2 seconds on a good run) so I imagine I'll be playing around some more...but more important than draw speed to me right now (I have enough stuff that I screw up every match and my transitions and trigger control are where I need improvement) that I've stayed with the belt ride holsters because I get a more consistent grip.

Had Bladetech and Comp-Tac DOH's. I did not like the floppiness - if I came out of the holster in anything less than perfectly straight up and out, the floppiness became a factor and the gun didn't release smoothly from the holster. I struggled with getting a consistent grip on the pistol - felt like it was hanging out in space and sometimes I had to find it (as opposed to having it right up on my belt.) In addition to that, with the DOH's I never felt like there was enough room between the grip and my belt in order to get my thumb in the place that I wanted it - it'd run either into the belt or into the 'ledge' of the DO attachment. So now I'm using both as belt ride holsters...except that I've put about three washers (and corresponding longer screws) in between the holster and the belt attachment, giving me just a little bit more room but not having the holster too far away from my belt.

I did play around with Ghost Stinger holsters - liked the attachment (no floppiness) but didn't like the holster - feels very light and wasn't as smooth as the Bladetech and Comp-Tac's. So I built frankenholsters with them - bought Bladetech Black Ice belt ride holsters and attached the Black Ice holster to the Ghost Stinger hanger.

I'm not happy with my draw speed (I'm 1.1-1.2 seconds on a good run) so I imagine I'll be playing around some more...but more important than draw speed to me right now (I have enough stuff that I screw up every match and my transitions and trigger control are where I need improvement) that I've stayed with the belt ride holsters because I get a more consistent grip.

That's exactly what i'm going to do with my DOH .

fix that , just DID with it. Attached at 2 points perfectly . Good stuff

Edited by thegunnerd

I use the DOH from CPWSA.COM. ready tactical is what its called. They are great. If ur tired of the bladetech and others give theseca try. I got good pricing with great customer service from chris.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I use an old BladeTech DOH in USPSA Production and a CompTac paddle in IDPA. The drawstroke from the IDPA compliant holster position and concealment is so different from the straight strongside position and draw I use in Production that I don't have any trouble with differences in the holsters' relative heights or tightness to the body.

If my average draw is slow, I'm pretty sure it's me, not the holsters, because I can do in the 0.7's when I really push it (in Production).

I use the DOH from CPWSA.COM. ready tactical is what its called. They are great. If ur tired of the bladetech and others give theseca try. I got good pricing with great customer service from chris.

I have the Ready Tactical 3 Gun, which is a great holster. The DOH allows me to actually get a grip with my thumb, unlike the Blade-Tech DOH attachment.