Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should Spectators Be Quiet Before the Buzzer?

jkrispies

This could apply to any shooting sport, but I'll put it in Steel Challenge since SC was designed to be a spectator shooting sport.

I just spent two days at the West Coast Steel Championships and heard stories from competitors who talked about getting kicked out of the shooting area because they were talking when somebody was in the box. I also saw a few stages where people were shushing their squad mates when somebody was on the line. (Granted, it was usually parents shushing their teenage kids.)

Thought I'd do a poll to see what other people think of this. Personally, when I'm in the box there could be a marching band thundering past and I wouldn't notice. I mean, jeez... there's gunfire going on to the left and right of me, and I'm about to unleash gunfire myself, so who cares if grandpa is telling a war story. This ain't golf!

Of course, I suppose I can get it if it bothers somebody else to the point that it messes with their game.

So, let's put it to rest, and I will gladly shush people if that is widely considered proper etiquette. What do all of you think?

It's not golf but it's still a game where concentration, time and hits matter. Around here it's the norm to be quiet when a shooter is about to get the buzzer and it's the norm for folks to get reminded to be quiet when they are too loud.

This is one of my pet peeves. It just seems extremely rude for a bunch of people with earplugs to be carrying on multiple loud conversations a few feet away from someone who is trying to concentrate. I wear electronic muffs so I can hear the RO clearly and have sometimes been so distracted by a bunch of people joking around behind me that I have stepped out of the box and asked the RO to ask people to shut up. It get's particularly annoying with another squad comes along and moves to the front and starts discussing the stage with each other while I'm trying to run my plan through my head.

As an RO, I will not hesitate to tell the peanut gallery to either quite down or move well back from the action.

I voted "No". However, it is good sportsmanship to cease the banter when someone steps into the box. I have asked the peanut gallery to be quiet for shooters before.

But I would not be in favor of making it a "requirement". That is part of being a good RO, controlling the stage and giving the competitor the best chance at having his best run on the stage(s).

I voted "No". However, it is good sportsmanship to cease the banter when someone steps into the box. I have asked the peanut gallery to be quiet for shooters before.

But I would not be in favor of making it a "requirement". That is part of being a good RO, controlling the stage and giving the competitor the best chance at having his best run on the stage(s).

+1, this isn't golf...

Voted No also because of the word 'required', would have voted yes if the wording was 'Should spectators be quiet before the buzzer'.

Yes, I agree on the "should"--to me it's common courtesy to be quiet--but the real question is "required"... as in potentially part of the RO duties.

I guess the reason it came to me following this competition is that when I do Steel Challenge, it's at the monthly matches and I'm usually RO'ing my squad through each stage. Generally the only time I'm not at the line is while I'm concentrating on loading my magazines or possibly assisting a new shooter. Once I'm up at the line, 100% of my attention is on the shooter, so what's going on behind me doesn't really enter my mind. (Probably doesn't help that I'm half deaf.) I finished the competition pretty early before the prize table this time and walked around paying attention to the "peanut gallery" for once.

The other part of my curiosity is that for as long as I've been competing I really do "get in the zone" while shooting to the point that I've never been distracted by anything going on around me. I've always just assumed that the same was true for everybody else!

From the responses so far, I'm thinking that I should make a habit of calling for quiet from the spectators prior to the initial "Are you ready?" I'll just do it every time even if there's already silence so it's simply part of the routine. Once I've said "Are you ready?" though, I really don't want to divert my attention from the shooter for safety's sake.

I think people should keep it down out of respect to the shooter. These days a lot of shooters are wearing electronic muffs and earplugs and they can often clearly hear what people are saying behind the line of scrimmage. I think normal conversation is not too bad, but some people talk pretty loud especially with hearing protection on and occasionally someone will yell "Hey Joe" to someone else 50 yards away. Also I have seen occasions where someone is deliberately trying to distract a shooter who may be able to edge them out in points.

I think it should be kept in check so everyone has a fair chance to do their best. They may blow it anyway but that is a separate issue.

I was one of the guys at the Briley match that "shooshed" shooters when I was RO ing.....

Nothing personal....It was just some Older shooters and a lot of excited new shooters that were plugged or muffed having conversations. No big deal, they just needed to step back away from the line to have their conversation.

It really wasn't a problem, and no different than any other match I have attended in the last 18 years.

It boils down to common courtesy....which was in abundance at the match.

When you have a lot of newer shooters as this match did you don't always know the expectations and how things run.

That is how I learned as well.....

DougC

At nationals perhaps. This is not golf +15, if a shooter requests some silence, then I will bring it down a notch. Barring that request, you are only shooting a fraction of the time while at a match. This is a social event.

I agree with most of the other, it should be done out of respect. It's called "Sportsmanship". I would also say that if your not part of the squad shooting, hang back and out of the way of the current squad, and not walk the range while scoring is taking place. Rest assured, you'll get your chance.

At nationals perhaps. This is not golf +15, if a shooter requests some silence, then I will bring it down a notch. Barring that request, you are only shooting a fraction of the time while at a match. This is a social event.

For you "this is not golf" guys, please explain to me how it is so different? Spectators are quiet at the teebox/green because a competitor is about to do something that requires his or her full concentration. How is this any different than a shooter being in the shooting box?

Before pistols, I shot skeet competitively. In almost every squad I ever shot with, it was expected that the rest of the squad be quiet while a shooter was on the pad. You started a conversation when someone was about to pull, everyone else would look at you like WTH is your problem.

Silence REQUIRED? Na, not possible. However, I feel like it should be more commonplace.

Wes777, you might consider SC/USPSA a social event, but I can assure many others do not.

I love socializing with my shooting buddies, and it is a big plus, but I for one spend all the time and money that I do because I like to COMPETE.

As an RO, I rarely let people not shooting "piggyback" or get an extra walk through, working people are a different matter. Squad "camp" is generally far enough off the line that they can converse without being rude. I have never had a shooter ask to shush the crowd and I like a lot of noise while I shoot, it's more real world. I think it's a negative to ask the gallery to shush, Tiger Woods doesn't shoot in my squad. My .02

Not required. Sometimes it gets a bit loud, and RO should tell them to pipe down. Sometimes I've been irritated at how noisy it is to start and ask RO to shush 'em. As an RO, I've shushed 'em myself.

No BFD. No more rules, please.

For you "this is not golf" guys, please explain to me how it is so different? Spectators are quiet at the teebox/green because a competitor is about to do something that requires his or her full concentration. How is this any different than a shooter being in the shooting box?

Before pistols, I shot skeet competitively. In almost every squad I ever shot with, it was expected that the rest of the squad be quiet while a shooter was on the pad. You started a conversation when someone was about to pull, everyone else would look at you like WTH is your problem.

Silence REQUIRED? Na, not possible. However, I feel like it should be more commonplace.

Wes777, you might consider SC/USPSA a social event, but I can assure many others do not.

I love socializing with my shooting buddies, and it is a big plus, but I for one spend all the time and money that I do because I like to COMPETE.

lol, lets not get it twisted, my intent is winning, and beating shooters outside of my division. I have rarely seen a shooter get flustered about the noise. A shooter on the SS might want lower noise levels, but in my limited experience, the SS tends to hush up and watch each other shoot on their own. I just dont get what the fuss is about. I understand not directing comments to the next shooter while he is at the starting position getting ready to Make Ready. That would be irritating, and perhaps that is what we are talking about. I could be off point if that is the case.

Skeet reminds me of golf.

About 2 years ago I was shooting a stage and swore I heard someone yell "Stop." This was in the middle of the stage, double plugged hammering away on the trigger. I looked at the RO and he said "I didn't say anything." If you're behind the lines and make enough noise that the shooter can hear you in the middle of the course of fire then you need to pipe down. Normal conversations really shouldn't be a problem.

I was one of the guys at the Briley match that "shooshed" shooters when I was RO ing.....

Actually, I didn't see anybody "shush" while RO'ing at the Briley. Really, the only shushers were parents trying to teach their kids good manners, which I'm all for! I did have one old guy tell me he'd been kicked off the line once, and another say that he'd had the same thing happen to him. It was their admissions (not that they seemed to give a damn) that made me wonder.

Personally, I'm the sort that doesn't talk too much when I go to the range-- I'm there to shoot far more than socialize. If anything, I want to listen and observe in order to pick up tips for improvement. Just wondering via this poll if I should be taking more action if I see people conversing while somebody is in the box, or when I'm actually RO'ing.

I do think this is more of a Steel Challenge issue than most other competitions. SC is a gateway sport, so to speak, so I think there's more new competitors, and even the experienced competitors are more relaxed. As far as that goes, I think a lot of the competitors who primarilly shoot USPSA or IDPA look at SC as more of a skills drill with an entrance fee than a match that they take as seriously as the others... which might be part of the issue.

Edited by jkrispies