Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got Rid of the FO Front Sight

jnshapiro

After shooting a steel match a week ago I decided to get rid of the FO front sight I had on my 1911. I found it to be very distracting having the dot up there while I was lining up the sights. I dug my post back out, milled it down a bunch (it was real wide) and put it back on. MUCH better!

Anyone else get rid of their FO sight?

Now I have a bunch of FO rods that I won't need. Anyone want 'em? Send me an e-mail :blink:

Joel

I was recently thinking that someone should sell black "fiber optic" in order to render your FO sight essentially the same as a black sight.

That would make it easy to switch back and forth.

That's a great idea!

In the meantime, someone could get a decent result with some flat black paint on their fiber optic insert.

I've only shot one match with a front sight that had the fiber optic insert. I don't remember ever seeing it!

A fiber optic would have been handy yesterday ... we shot a couple of stages facing the sun and I could barely see my slide, much less my front sight.

Mine's a goner. Personally, I think the FO sight is a "fix" for inadequate light bars. Once I opened up my rear sight, I was a lot happier.

Yes, FO is a benefit for crappy lighting, but the downsides seem to outweigh the benefits.

After shooting a steel match a week ago I decided to get rid of the FO front sight I had on my 1911. I found it to be very distracting having the dot up there while I was lining up the sights. I dug my post back out, milled it down a bunch (it was real wide) and put it back on. MUCH better!

Anyone else get rid of their FO sight?

Now I have a bunch of FO rods that I won't need. Anyone want 'em? Send me an e-mail :blink:

Joel

My fiber optic ended its life in the bin. It developed the nasty habit of coming loose during matches. (alfaro bright sight)

Replaced it with a 0.090" iron frontsight. I'm happy with it :D

PS. I don't want your FO-rods ;)

I never thought the trend would last this long honestly...

They DO serve a useful purpose for those that can't see a traditional front sight because of vision problems, so I guess they're not completely without value.

Never bothered with one in the first place. ;)

Stopped using it last year. I really like a .100 wide front sight and I get more feedback from it than a fiber optic rod. Oh, by the way; my scores improved! I will say this: Never be afraid to try something new in the IPSC game. I've always gained more from an experiment then not.

After shooting TGO's limited gun, I've decided to go back and try a Dawson .090 fiber on my limited gun. After about a year of trying, I did not like the older "fatter" fiber front sights but I do like the skinner version available now. I like it for transitions between targets and I REALLY REALLY like it in darker light conditions where a black sight often disappears.

The tritium inserts in the front sights of most of my guns have saved me in low light before, but they don't help when you're looking into the sun (more or less). Fiber optics would be the only way to go in those circumstances!

I had a plain black post on my Kimber .38 Super and replaced it with a Brazos .125 FO. I did the change because the gun was seeing some L10 time, and I thought it helped me there. One of the first things I have decided is that .125 is way too wide. And now considering that I am shooting other stuff for L10 and Limited, and my Kimber is now basically a steel/stock Bianchi gun, I really wish I had left the plain black post on there. Ohh well.... Live and learn I guess.

Get out those score sheets! KellyN and I agree yet again! I love those glow winky front sights!! I really like the VERY narrow caspian ones that Benny put on my 6". I won't be without them!! I like the narrow Dawson one but will be getting it close to a mill soon I like them even more narrow than they come!! KURTM

the new sights with the counterbored and sunk FO's is a very good compromise for a "clean" sight picture and avoiding the "halo" of a too bright FO. it is still a personal thing, but, imho, it really helps those with 'old' eyes see the front sight faster

You should keep your fiber optic sights. You'll want to use them when you get older and can't focus on the front sight any more. :D

I like a recessed thin fiber optic with a narrow front sight. I put black magic marker on the rod to deaden the glow. If you look at my sight from the top you will see that half or more of the rod is black. This makes the post front sight easier to pick up without that annoying glare. ;)

Bill Nesbitt

Gotta side with the pro-FO folks here. As age creeps up, my ability to focus on the front sight gets worse. I have had special shooting glasses made but the FO sight has allowed me to pick up the front sight much faster.

I have Dawsons on my Paras and Sig P226. They are great. I like the slimmer models that still allow longer precision shots. The wide ones are better for close point shooting but hurt the precision shots.

Love the red and the brighter, the better.

I have a "custom" FO front sight that has a cut that I can't fit ANY aftermarket sight into. It was .110 thou but looks a heap better at .100 with a recessed fibre =) Easy to see but can still get a good sight picture using the top of the sight for difficult shots...