Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"What's your lowest price?"

kneelingatlas

I started reloading, so I have my factory ammo stash for sale on a local forum and I was reminded my least favorite buyers are still out there: "what's your lowest price?"

Dude, I did my part, I offered my stuff for sale at X. If you want to buy it for X great, if not, make me an offer. I can't tell you what's the lowest offer I might accept until I see it!

You want me to haggle with myself for you?!?

It's just plain laziness.

"Well my friend," I would say in my best used-car-salesman voice, "that price there is as low as I can go. I bought the best components I could buy for the best cost/value ratio so that I could then pass on that straight through to you the customer!" Then not missing a beat ask "And how many cases can I put you down for sir?"

Just keep it up, "We take pride in offering not cheap but value!" The tried and true, "This ammo is here now, in the caliber you want. Not here to be talked down, just sell it for sticker thank you very much, NEXT!"

They'll get the picture.

Edited by JimmyZip

I haggle for a living (cotton broker). A potential buyer can ask me anything they want - if they're still talking to me, there's a chance I'll make a sale. Same goes for sellers who want to know how much I'll pay. The answer in both cases is "right now I'm at X. What's your offer?"

While buying feed one day, the customer loudly exclaimed, "You want that much?!?!?!"

Without hesitation the man behind the counter said, "Yep. That's my price for clean, gleaned, fresh, golden oats. Of course, if yer willin' to settle for some thats done been through the horse, I have a big pile out back and the price may be more to yer liking."

I always liked the what's your best price for cash money like they think I will just drop the price like a rock for pleasure of getting handed over cash. That or when a price is marked shipped and its a pretty cheap item and get asked what's your ftf price when it would involve a 75 mile one way trip then they call you a scammer when you say not interested I would prefer to ship but I'm not driving 150 miles for a 40 buck sale I can ship for 5 bucks and then give it to you for less since I don't have to pay shipping yet drop 3.89 a gallon in gas

looked at something on craigslist. Guy wanted $250. I saw it, liked it, It was worth more, so I handed him $250. Guy was shocked I did that and didn't want to fight over the price.

I agree with you, I hate that statement.

Haggling can even be a fun experience with someone who knows how to dance, but guys like this just have two left feet and it's like pulling teeth.

Yup, or with folks that take haggling personally.....

I don't care what you paid for it, what you've done with it, or how dear it is to your heart -- that won't make me pay more....

And no, I won't consider a best offer from a newly opened, single mom photography business proprietor, who promises to take really good care of my lens....

The lens isn't precious to me -- it represents a certain number of dollars, that's it. It was never my baby. Treat it as if it was, or take it to the range and fire a 12 ga slug at it -- makes no difference....

I started reloading, so I have my factory ammo stash for sale on a local forum and I was reminded my least favorite buyers are still out there: "what's your lowest price?"

Dude, I did my part, I offered my stuff for sale at X. If you want to buy it for X great, if not, make me an offer. I can't tell you what's the lowest offer I might accept until I see it!

You want me to haggle with myself for you?!?

It's just plain laziness.

When I bought my new car back in 2002, the sticker price was about 17,000 and I offered to pay the sticker price. The dealer is trying to get me to pay a bunch of add on charges to jack it up to 23,000. So he does the "four corners" negotiation where he divides a piece of paper into four squares and then draws a diagonal line through each square. he writes his "offer" in the upper of the first box (23k) and I write 17k under it. In the next box he writes 22.5k...... and I write 16.5k under it!

He turns red and says the only way we will ever get to a deal is if I come up "a little" until our prices meet.

I tell him: the only way we will ever have a deal is if he opens his ears and believes me when I tell him what I will pay for the car and stop screwing around wasting my time.

I ended up buying it for 16.5k.

• 2 months later...

Yup if you saw it else where for less you should have jumped on it. You can always ask to pay less but don't get offended when the seller says no. If everyone else thinks its a fair price but you....well either pay it or walk away, and like the man said the price is right.....man this thread has me laughing

I had a motorcycle for sale a while back and this guy offers me $2500 less than I'm asking and wants me to drive round trip 240 miles to meet him halfway. I told him the lowest I'd take and he says he can't do it so I said fine, have a great day. He contacts me a week later to offer me $1000 less than the week before, so a total of $3500 less than I was asking. I suggested he not contact me again. Some people can't quit.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine was wanting to buy a used car from a private seller and the price was $4000, he says how about $3500 and the seller says whats that, he replies an offer. The seller then says I'm not taking offers if you want the car it's $4000, I don't care if I sell it or not.