Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any new powders for 9mm major?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: Since alot of powders are very hard to get right now. Does anyone have any new ones they are using? I am using up my 3N37 right now and saving the HS-6 for big matches. I was thinking maybe some Alliant powders since Hodgdon is not available. Let me know. Thanks, Eric

I use a lot of AutoComp, it is very clean and great for practice, just a tiny bit harder than HS-6, otherwise very similar in feel. Recently bought several pounds by just walking into a store.

Hello: AA#7 is a no go for me. It gives lots of gas but is dirty and kinda gritty(technical term). It will stop a really tight pistol like sand does. I have used Silhouette, True Blue. I have also used Auto Comp and it works well but just looking for other options others may be using. Thanks, Eric

IMR 7625 will work under 115's. I found it a bit harsh but usable if needed. 8 grains made Major with some headroom. I think about the only suitable Alliant powder would be Blue Dot and a heaping case full didn't make Major under 115's.

Eric, what's your 3N37 load?

I have been experimenting a bit with some different powders 9.6 hs6 with a 115 is my all time favorite but I have very limited amounts of it :((

I have been trying 8.1gr of power pistol believe it or not, its not great but with a 125 I make 173 PF and the comp works decent.

There is no hs6 wac sil anywhere to be found here

Next I'm gonna give 105 a shot and maybe 3n37

Eric,

I have been following new powders hitting the market and so far not any seem to be for 9 Major.

Autocomp is liked by a lot of folks, but I did not like the feel.

It would be great if several of the manufacturers got behind development for 9 Major. A clean and soft powder like N105 would be great (If the case was not overflowing)..

I have been experimenting a bit with some different powders 9.6 hs6 with a 115 is my all time favorite but I have very limited amounts of it :((

I have been trying 8.1gr of power pistol believe it or not, its not great but with a 125 I make 173 PF and the comp works decent.

There is no hs6 wac sil anywhere to be found here

Next I'm gonna give 105 a shot and maybe 3n37

It's been posted several times that N105 will not fit enough to make Major except for one guy(not sure what he was loading). I never tried it but that's what I read. A few guys on here use 3n37 but it's a compressed load and some have had problems with shorter OAL loads.

Good luck and let us know what you find out...

Eric I thought you had tried everything.

My favorite would come in an 8# keg be readily available, burn clean, shoot soft, and not sling all over the place. Problem is I'm shooting 9 major.

I've tried a few all made major but I fell in love with Silhouette.

The list Silhouette, Trueblue, N350, 3n37, IMR7625, HS6, HS7 aka Lound I mean long shot, WSF, 3N38, N105.

I have 6# if Silhouette left, but in the fridge 12# AA7, 16# HS6, 10# N350 I'll burn what I got till I can find Silhouette.

These days you just got to make do with what you can get. I had to take the light hammer spring out of my CZ since there are no Federal Primers on this planet.

I'm sure I can lay hand on AA#5 so share that load buddy!

Shotgun range down the road has a ton of powders wall to wall at last years prices, I cleaned them out on Silhouette.

Hello: I have tried alot of powders in 9mm major but was just wondering if anyone has a new one since most of the favs are very hard to find. I sold my last 1 1/2lbs of Silhouette to a friend to keep him shooting. I am down to 3N37, Auto Comp, HS-6, True Blue and some N350. I just bought some shotgun powders for my shotgun use which are all Alliant and had no trouble getting those. Just curious to see what people are coming up with. My 3N37 load is 8.4 grains, 115 grain Montana Gold JHP, Winchester SRP and a OAL 1.170". It burns clean but is a little hot. Funny thing is I am shooting better than I ever have right now. Maybe me or just that I have to use up 7 more pounds of it to get to the new powder? Thanks, Eric

I use Longshot and have for a couple of years now. Works well. I just tried Autocomp for the first time last weekend and really liked it. It is a fair bit of a cleaner burning powder than Longshot and it was close in feel.

Will probably switch to Autocomp in the future. Anyone have any complaints/problems with Autocomp?

I stopped by Larry's guns in roswell the other day after the match and they happened to have 10lbs of Autocomp which I picked up, do you need some of it to keep you going?

I use HS6 but have also used Longshot. Longshot works but was a pain to find the right combination of OAL and powder charge to get the results I wanted.

So I still have some since HS6 was easier to work with. I have an 8 lb can of WAP that I used to use for 38 Super in my open gun. Loved it but haven't even broken the seal on it since switching to Major 9. Curious if it will work.

Craig

My favourite powder for 9 major is 3N38. I use:

8.8 gr with a Berry 124 gr bullet. OAL is 1.170. This get me a speed of 1390 fps.

This powder is very consistent, and is not temperature sensitive.

DVC

Mark

Berry's holds up at that speed? getting any leading or comp build up?

Eric about the only thing I would try in Alliant is BlueDot, I have read a couple of post that claimed they used it in 9 major but no details. I've shot some in 38Super and it worked well. The very best thing about it is the smell. I'm headed out to get more TAC for .223 today so I may snag some and try it.

I fogot to mention AutoComp in my list.

My findings are that with 124gr 9 major you can load Silhouette, HS6, or Autocomp and it is very difficult to tell them apart. In flat maybe hs6 is the winner but in the straight back slap in the palm Silhouette. Which one you are acutally faster with, well only a timer can tell you that. Accuracy, Silhouette produced the smallest group out of my gun at 25 yards, 1/2".

I have an 8 lb can of WAP that I used to use for 38 Super in my open gun. Loved it but haven't even broken the seal on it since switching to Major 9. Curious if it will work.

Craig

WAP (Winchester Action Pistol) and Ramshot Silhouette are practically identical. So yea, it'll work.