Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays loads

Zoomy

Does anyone have any major PF loads using Clays powder. I have an STI with 5" Schuemann. Bullets are Montana Gold 180 gr JHP and 165 gr JHP. Several people have mentioned to me that Clats gives a somewhat softer recoil so I thaught I would give it a try. Thanks in advance.

Some people have had success with Clays in major loads, but I would only try it if you are running long. 1.180" or longer on your loads. Even then, you may not make it before seeing pressure signs. That being said, there are much safer powders for making major.

If you must try, be careful and check every case for signs of pressure.

Does anyone have any major PF loads using Clays powder. I have an STI with 5" Schuemann. Bullets are Montana Gold 180 gr JHP and 165 gr JHP. Several people have mentioned to me that Clats gives a somewhat softer recoil so I thaught I would give it a try. Thanks in advance.

Brandon Strayer's pet load is 4.8 grains of Clays, under a 180 grain JHP loaded to 1.22. Every 40 cal pistol he builds has those run through them at the factory.

DO NOT use Clays at major with short OAL or you will get case head separation and face splatter. I know by experience.

I do use Clays with success at major using 4.0 grains with a Moly 185 bullet at 1.180" OAL. Same load with 180 gr lead bullet.

I shoot this load out of a 5 inch Para SX-16 and it feels like cheating. Try 2.8-3.0 gr for minor (poof loads).

Edited to add: Be extremely careful not to double charge the load...or else ka-boom!

Edited by Mark R

DO NOT use Clays at major with short OAL or you will get case head separation and face splatter. I know by experience.

I do use Clays with success at major using 4.0 grains with a Moly 185 bullet at 1.180" OAL. Same load with 180 gr lead bullet.

I shoot this load out of a 5 inch Para SX-16 and it feels like cheating. Try 2.8-3.0 gr for minor (poof loads).

Edited to add: Be extremely careful not to double charge the load...or else ka-boom!

Thanks Mark, I am going to use the Clays for my wifes 9mm minor loads. I use range brass so I never know if I have a marginal case in the mix. I will probably use Longshot and Titegroup for my .40.

Thanks Mark, I am going to use the Clays for my wifes 9mm minor loads. I use range brass so I never know if I have a marginal case in the mix. I will probably use Longshot and Titegroup for my .40.

You had better be careful using Clays in 9mm loads. 9mm in minor is not much different than 40 in major. I don't hear of very many people using Clays in 9mm, and haven't seen many published loads for it. I'm sure there are probably some doing it, but be extremely careful, especially with heavier bullets!

Mike

Clays is not a problem for .40 Major. My load is 3.8 grains with a 180 Bear Creek bullet. Goes 942 fps out of a Glock barrel. 3.6 goes 950 fps out of a LWD barrel. OAL is 1.140". No over pressure signs at all.

If you want to go major with shorter OAL, use Solo 1000. It's much safer than the clays at major PF. Double charge a 3.8-4.0 charge at 1.140 OAL with clays and you'll need to change your shorts.

Hello

I was never able to meet minor with clays and my 92fs. I might have if I had exceeded the recommended pressures by Hodgdon. I did not since 92fs do not have a fully supported chamber. Clays works great with my .45.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a Hillbilly OPINION

If your looking for soft recoil, take a look at VV - N320.

If you don't own a Chrono and know how to use same. Load 10 at a time properly marked and identified, start low and work up. Don't play around with CLAYS. Do your own load developing, and use safety equipment.

Your Loader, your Pistols, do as you chose, just be careful.

A lil more cost for powder is cheaper than Dr. Bills, Em Drs are greedy bas---rds.

Perry

Ok... some guys get away with Clays at major. I would not even try it. It's just too fast and you are overpressure for the cartridge, even if it holds together. The chamber of YOUR gun may or may not allow for the support required for an overpressure cartridge (you Glock guys know who you are, but other chambers of various looseness can be included!). There are better choices powder wise. I have never subscribed to, or drank the Kool-Aid required to allow myself to constantly fire a gun knowing I am overpressure when a shelf full of other powders will do the job at safe pressures.

While not rocket science it is none the less science. Paying attention to the small details is key. Clays is fast but so is N310, N320, WST, and a few others. Always play safe start low and work up. Now some fine points, Jacketed bullets are hard to pusch so think Moly or Bayou. Use good brass, and as suggested load long if at all possible.

Now to what happend to me, well I was doing fine for a long time then I kept using the same brass over and over, over, over, you get the idea. Well science caught up to me, and I started blowing the top out of the barss or splitting the brass. Was this the clays fault, no it was the idiot loading my ammo.

Is it totally safe, no, but is 9 major safe, hell no. It is on the ragged edge so you must pay attention to the details. Is it worth it, well that is a personal choice and most have made other choices.

My 40 Sti Limited load is either a Bayou 180, or Precision 185 loaded 1.180. I got off Clays and shoot mostly WST, but some N320, I really can't tell much difference. In a jacketed 180 I prefer the N320 and you can tell the difference.

Yes you can shoot clays in 9 mm, again play safe. I tried it but found that accuracy wasn't where I like it so I went to #1 Minor 9 mm powder N320.

Tight group is searing hot, puts way to much heat into your gun, it is nasty funky dirty, I find it Snappy, but if you like cheap and easy to find you found an winner. I know I know lots of people use it but lots of people wear $250 designer jeans, because they are so much longer lasting than wranglers.

Edited by CocoBolo