Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how often do you completely dis-assemble your open gun for cleaning ?

cecil

Every time i shoot my STI Steel Master i disassemble the slide, barrel, recoil master to clean..and of coarse i clean the lower slide and all of the parts attached.. but i don't dis-assemble the handle from the lower slide.. how often do most take off the handle to clean the lower part of an open gun ?

thanks,

I would imagine it has more to do with where you shoot. Out west, you're likely to see a lot more sandy berms and wind, which can really get a open gun dirty quick, even if you're covering it between stages.

I field strip and clean my gun after every match, and fully strip it and clean it about every 2000 rounds. Would it work fine with less cleaning? Sure. Would it bother me if I let it go longer without cleaning? Absolutely.

Completely disassemble twice per year...Then I always clean it prior to a major match. For local matches I usually go 500-1000 rounds between cleanings, never had a issue...N350 isn't that dirty...if I was using TrueBlue I might clean it between stages...

It should go without saying but if you do a major take down before any match but especially a major, put some rounds through the gun before the match.

Edited by GigG

I'm shooting Filthy HS-6.

I completely disassemble and clean my Glock after every match.

My limited gun with Titegroup gets a total disassemble only if changing out extracters or for troubleshooting.

I do a detailed cleaning every time I shoot. But I will do a full tear down to include taking everything out (trigger, striker, etc) about every other month. Being a former Marine I am a little anal about cleaning my guns

detail strip once a year before the season starts. Before any match I swab the feed ramp, the breach face, and the chamber and add more oil if it needs it. Every 4 to 5 k rounds or before the club match prior to the next large match I field strip, clean and then re-oil.

lots of opinions on this but if your routine yields a working reliable gun... it's all good.

I shoot a 2011. Slide, barrel and recoilmaster come out after every shoot. Frame gets pulled to bits (without taking the grip/trigger/mag button) and cleaned before and after every big shoot, sometimes during the shoot if it's dusty. Don't pull the grip off the frame at all (in 5 years+), just check the screws are tight...

I'll fully strip the slide every few thousand rounds, then completely strip down the grip/frame before I leave for a major or a minimum of once a year. It may be just me but my trigger feels just a little more crisp when that lower is clean haha. my home range is real windy

I completely strip the gun down after every match and every practice session. Always checking for cracks or abnormal wear.

Just two nights ago I found a crack in my STI Executive's slide. Better to be safe than sorry.

I would suggest getting the Dawson Extractor Removal Tool http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000BBA-1268429736

As well as DP Grip Bushing Tool http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000EB7-1297371529

Both those make it a breeze

I take the top end off and clean every 300 rounds, The frame is taken down every 2500 and every 5000 the grip comes off also. I use 4756 and find the parts in the frame stay pretty clean. I use a little Remington Hinge and High Pressure grease on the flat part of the disconnector and on sear and hammer contact surfaces as well as sear and hammer pins. That stuff is great and stays in place a long time. As others have said, the extractor must come out at least every 1000 rounds as it seems to collect grunge. In Bullseye there is an old saying "he who cleans not his gun deserveth his alibi". unfortunatly we don't get a do over in our sport.

I NEVER go to a match with a dirty gun! I clean it before every match. I detail strip the gun about once every 1-2 months, can't hurt. I mean we spend all this $$ on a gun, why not keep it clean!

Some people think that cleaning a gun before a match is "bad ju-ju."

Gosh, I feel like a slob. I clean my pistols about every 3rd or 4th match, I take apart the upper and lower MAYBE once a year, more like once every two years. I do a cursory wipe and oil every month before the match but will detail clean before any big match. Although my cleaning regiment is not as frequent as most, I have never had a failure from dirt or ammo in the last several years. Like it was mentioned above, use what works and this works for me...

Gosh, I feel like a slob. I clean my pistols about every 3rd or 4th match, I take apart the upper and lower MAYBE once a year, more like once every two years. I do a cursory wipe and oil every month before the match but will detail clean before any big match. Although my cleaning regiment is not as frequent as most, I have never had a failure from dirt or ammo in the last several years. Like it was mentioned above, use what works and this works for me...

Honestly, the guns we have will run pretty dirty. I know guys that clean there Glocks once a year. Some of us are just a little OCD about it. I know I am.

• 11 months later...

Complete detail strip every part out of the gun, grip off ! Everything apart very case of MG 3750 rounds. Clean it top end off slide, bbl all the stuff I can get to with slide off every 700-1000. Lube with a drop in each rail slot and a drop behind comp. works for me!