Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Interesting about your son doubling and not you. Made me think about what was happening when it happened to me and if I remember correctly I was on about shot 6 doing essentially a mag dump. Maybe the recoil had pushed me out of position like what happens when your son shoots. Will definitely be paying more attention to my shooting position now in case it happens again I will know if it was possibly me or more likely the gun. Thanks for your input

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering the same thing when I read about the gun doubling, Im interested in what they find.

The only shotgun I shoot is a Nova with a real heavy trigger but when I shoot my brothers beretta 1301 it will double on me every 50rds or so and it has never doubled with my brother in thousands of rounds. It was a combo of my stance and riding the trigger the way I had gotten use to on my Nova (the beretta has a super light trigger from the factory) that allowed the gun to bump fire. My problem, not the guns.

My 11 year old son gets doubles when he shoots mine. It never doubles when I shoot it. I have a very weight-forward shooting style with shotguns, and I am 6'3",250. My son is 5'3" and about 110. He has to lean back to balance the gun because of the 9shot extension. Inertia guns can sometimes double if they are held loosely, with weight on the rear foot and/or by small framed shooters. Don't know if that fits the situation at all, but it is a repeatable phenomenon with the same gun, different shooters.

Jesse, if you have a pair of dial calipers, could you measure from the front of one thread to the back of the next thread on both shotguns and post the measurements? I don't know if I am explaining well so I will try to draw a stick drawing.-||-||-||-|--||>|| ||<| this distance?-||-||-||-|-It doesn't have to vary much. If the pitch is off by .003, by 3 threads it will stop dead. Square threads have NO give.

.117ish on the Nova and the same on the Stoeger.

My 11 year old son gets doubles when he shoots mine. It never doubles when I shoot it. I have a very weight-forward shooting style with shotguns, and I am 6'3",250. My son is 5'3" and about 110. He has to lean back to balance the gun because of the 9shot extension. Inertia guns can sometimes double if they are held loosely, with weight on the rear foot and/or by small framed shooters. Don't know if that fits the situation at all, but it is a repeatable phenomenon with the same gun, different shooters.

On another vein, I caused mine to double for a day when I did a trigger job on it. I cut down the primary trigger hook and recut the angle to reduce the trigger pull, but didn't advance the disconnector an equal amount to catch it. If I yanked the trigger all the way to the stop the disconnector caught, but if I eased into the trigger it would fire, stall on the tip of the disconnector until the bolt slapped shut, then drop again. Always stopped after the second shot. I cut back the stop on the bottom of the disconnector to close up the gap and problem went away. Disclaimer- this is gunsmith-only territory here. If you don't understand the timing of the trigger mechanism don't play with it!

My BIL is 5'10 or so and 250+ lbs. Definitely not size or stance, it's only recently started doubling after 700-800 rounds. If it happens anymore he's going to send it back in.

Just an update, I tried to get a 12th round in my +7 tube. I cut the spring down so I have 13" sticking out, and it's still about a 1/2" shy of fitting. I'm gonna call it quits and just settle with 11.

Dang! I was hopeful. Guess I owe you a new spring. PM me your mailing address. Shooters Source carries +1 & +2 extensions or just order a new tube. Trust me you will like a 12 rounder better than an 11.

I got my MOA adaptor nut from openclassterror today(just ordered on Sat). WOW, what a finely crafted piece. It screwed right on my M3000. I highly recommend this to anyone that has the Nova-nut no-go syndrome. $30 (shipped) well spent. In fact, just buy this nut and you won't have to worry about it fitting your gun. This nut is made for the Stoeger and it will fit the M3000. The Nova nut is made for the Nova and sometimes fits the M3000.

Just an update, I tried to get a 12th round in my +7 tube. I cut the spring down so I have 13" sticking out, and it's still about a 1/2" shy of fitting. I'm gonna call it quits and just settle with 11.

Dang! I was hopeful. Guess I owe you a new spring. PM me your mailing address. Shooters Source carries +1 & +2 extensions or just order a new tube. Trust me you will like a 12 rounder better than an 11.

No worries. It still works good with the shorter spring, but thanks for the offer. That's very nice of you. I really would be more happy with a 12 rounder, especially since I load 2, and starting with 8 would allow me to throw 4 in right away at the start. I guess I could get one of the Nordic XXL caps to add one. I might just do that.

Jessie, do you find those long tubes can make it problematic to dump the shotgun in anything but an upright barrel? Watching sometimes it feels like the gun is going to fall out........

I've never had one fall out but you definitely can't toss it in a barrel as care free as a 21" gun with an 8 round tube. I usually make sure the tube hits bottom and the receiver is against the side of the barrel before I left go rather than just getting the barrel in the barrel and letting go with a short gun. Edited by Jesse Tischauser

No worries. It still works good with the shorter spring, but thanks for the offer. That's very nice of you. I really would be more happy with a 12 rounder, especially since I load 2, and starting with 8 would allow me to throw 4 in right away at the start. I guess I could get one of the Nordic XXL caps to add one. I might just do that.

Those XXL caps only work on the old tubes. New tubes have different threads.

I haven't opened up the loading port on mine yet but I did take some 600 grit sandpaper to the OEM mag tube and polished it up. Quite a difference in action. Much smoother and quieter. Feels much nicer than it is now.

The insides of shotgun tubes often polish up nicely with a wad of 0000 steel wool wound on a 12ga bore brush. Used with a little WD40, puts almost a mirror shine and burnishes the bluing without stripping it completely off. Won't help with big steps or burrs (it isn't aggressive enough) but really slicks up the surface. The flex hones (with all the little balls glued on it) are easier to control than the brake hones with the paddles on them