Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much mag spring compression are you guys using? About 8-10 inches is what I was thinking. My +5 MXT came in today, now just waiting for my 24" M3000 to arrive.

I measured about 14" past the end of the tube for me. I'm running a +9 on a 26" barrel. Sticks out a bit past but doesn't bother me and I like not having to practice reloading as much. :roflol:

From the little bit of research I've done on shotguns, it seems like they are all very similar, at least the recoil drive models. I would say any gunsmith that works on shotguns should be able to open the loading port and weld up the lifter.

Called Benny Hill and they wouldn't work on it. Any other suggestions?

Steve Rose, at Rose Action Sports. I'm going to send him my gun to open up the ports and install sights in the near future.

I just put a Nordic +7 on my 3000. The nut went right on. No fitting required. I did have to smooth out the front end of the factory tube though to help out with the follower from getting snagged on it. I also chamfered the front corner of the follower. As for spring length, I shoved the whole thing in there and it took 11 shells in it with no problem. I can "load 2" easily with it.

Sorry I can't post pics yet

I used Nordic's +9 (22.5in long), which allows me 13 2-3/4 shells in the tube. Free length of the spring, and follower type can affect capacity too. 5 2-3/4 shells physically fit in the factory mag tube, but only 4 3" mags. the +5 (11.6in) is about flush on a 24" barrel, and a +6 (14in) for a 26" barrel. I run a +9 in open class, and it is 8.5 inches beyond my 26" barrel. However with a ghost load I start stages with 15 in the gun before I go to my speed-load tubes, so it is worth scrubbing the carbon off the mag-tube! It also helps that I am 6'3", so I don't have trouble getting it over the edge of the dump barrels.

Edited by openclassterror

So you're saying if I clip the spring some it should hold 12?

Gotta be careful not to take too much spring off or the follower won't be able to launch the last shell past the shell catch, and the carrier won't lift the last shell. It is a balancing act, and if you go too far you buy a new spring. If in doubt, leave it 6" longer than the tube when relaxed, and test thoroughly, cutting off one coil at a time. Generally at +6 inches unless the extra shell is within a quarter inch of fitting in the tube, it will malfunction before you can cut enough spring to make it fit.

We'll I just measured and I have about 20" of extra spring out the front with the end cap removed. Like I said, it fits 11, which is what I thought it was supposed to hold. 20" seems like a lot though, but I don't want to take a bunch off only to find out I can't fit a 12th round anyways.

Thoughts?

If the gun holds five from the factory you should be able to get 12 which I highly recommend due to it then holding 3 loads of four using quad loading or 6 loads of two dropping deuces.

Trim a coil or two off at a time until you get down to about 14-16" and see what happens. I'm guessing 12 will fit. I usually replace my springs when they get below 12" sticking out the end. I've been burned too many times not to replace a $6 spring. I always keep 5 or so on hand and one in the range bag at a match just in case.

Here is a not so quick video if how I open up my loading port. I need to do part two this weekend.

I'm not a gunsmith so I'm sure there are better ways of doing this both with and without a mill. This works for me. Remember take it slow, try it out cause you can always take more off but can't put any more back on.

Always nice to see the process for opening up the port on the specific model you have, so I appreciate the time you spent on the video. Look forward to the conclusion video and shooting with mine this summer.

I think I figured out why my 2-3 year old Nova Nordic tube won't seat fully. I put the barrel and hand guard on. Screwed the nova Nordic nut on then screwed the tube in and it all seated. Then I unscrewed the nut/tube and the tube could be screwed into the nut another 1/2-1 turn. The older nut must be different. The tube is screwing further into the nut which is stopping it from screwing all the way onto the gun. Gonna call Nordic Monday and ask if an things changed in those threads over the past few years. Also gonna try a brand new Nordic Nova nut/tube from my buddy Tony at Make Ready Pro Shop Sunday at the club match at USSA.

A very time consuming procedure...but worth it. Jesse did port work on my m2 and literally the second time trying i was dropping dueces without jamming up the shells on the shallow loading port i had before.

Cant wait to see how this runs once its fully 3 guned up.

I think I figured out why my 2-3 year old Nova Nordic tube won't seat fully. I put the barrel and hand guard on. Screwed the nova Nordic nut on then screwed the tube in and it all seated. Then I unscrewed the nut/tube and the tube could be screwed into the nut another 1/2-1 turn. The older nut must be different. The tube is screwing further into the nut which is stopping it from screwing all the way onto the gun. Gonna call Nordic Monday and ask if an things changed in those threads over the past few years. Also gonna try a brand new Nordic Nova nut/tube from my buddy Tony at Make Ready Pro Shop Sunday at the club match at USSA.

Jesse this might be why you have to cut off the small metal piece on the front of the stock tube. Shouldnt be an issue to just cut and clean up that piece to find out. If not I have some brand new tubes on there way for a couple more of these that im doing and should be able to figure it out.

Jesse this might be why you have to cut off the small metal piece on the front of the stock tube. Shouldnt be an issue to just cut and clean up that piece to find out. If not I have some brand new tubes on there way for a couple more of these that im doing and should be able to figure it out.

Somebody needs to figure it out cause cutting off an 1/8" from an OEM mag tube does not make this a 3 Gun ready newbie friendly gun. Even at $450.

I just received what should be a "newer" Nova nut with my extension from Shooters Connection. My 24" M3000 should be in this week and I'm assuming it will be a newer run. I will post my findings when I get it together.

Somebody needs to figure it out cause cutting off an 1/8" from an OEM mag tube does not make this a 3 Gun ready newbie friendly gun. Even at $450.

WHAT!?!?! You can grind away on a loading port, but cutting off .125" from a thin wall tube is too much? You are being sarcastic...right?