Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

competition is driving me crazy

tambarika

I have more second place finishes (first loser) than I can count. I generally finish second because I beat myself before I give the competition a chance.

Case in point: This weekend I was 4 seconds down going into the last stage. I figured I had to push harder to make up the time. While I picked up two seconds by moving faster, I dropped 6 points to poor shot placement. (I had only dropped two points on the previous 5 stages).

I basically choked on the last stage (gave up counting how many times I have done this). It is becoming a really bad habit with me -- this drive to want to win. While I enjoy the matches and the time spent with my friends, I can't break the habit of psyching myself out -- at the worst possible time.

I choked on the last stage. It is becoming a bad habit -- this drive to win.

Not bad to want to win - but maybe it's more important to shoot your best,

and identify areas to work on during your next practice.

If you work on weaknesses enough, you should win next time, or the next.

Winning also depends on who you're shooting against. :devil: You can shoot

as well as you ever have, but if the Club Champ is shooting, you lower your

chance of "winnning" - but, you still shot YOUR best.

You can only shoot as well as you know how, on any given day. :cheers:

I choked on the last stage. It is becoming a bad habit -- this drive to win.

Not bad to want to win - but maybe it's more important to shoot your best,

and identify areas to work on during your next practice.

If you work on weaknesses enough, you should win next time, or the next.

Winning also depends on who you're shooting against. :devil: You can shoot

as well as you ever have, but if the Club Champ is shooting, you lower your

chance of "winnning" - but, you still shot YOUR best.

You can only shoot as well as you know how, on any given day. :cheers:

I am competing against people of the same skill level as myself.

You don't want to win. Think about it. You know what you need to do to win but you consistently fail to do it.

Ergo, you don't want to win. You want something, and you are behaving in a way that you think will get it for you, but it is not to win.

If you want to win, shoot each stage the best you can. Eventually, as your best becomes better, you will win.

It really is that simple.

You might try not paying attention to what your competition is doing and just shoot each stage as if you are not competiting against anyone else. Focus on only your times and your hits. Try putting yourself on a squad where there is no one you normally compete against so you can just focus on your own shooting and not worry what the others are doing ... Pick a squad where you don't know anyone, it's amazing how easy it is to focus when there is no one to chit chat or BS with. I shot my best match of my short 1 yr in this sport at the FL State Championship last month. It was my first level II match and my buddy had to back out at the last minute so i shot the match by myself. Don't think I said 5 words to my squad mates the whole match ...but I shot 3rd highest % pts shot and 4th highest total alphas shot - both higher then the division winner ...

You might try not paying attention to what your competition is doing and just shoot each stage as if you are not competiting against anyone else. Focus on only your times and your hits. Try putting yourself on a squad where there is no one you normally compete against so you can just focus on your own shooting and not worry what the others are doing ... Pick a squad where you don't know anyone, it's amazing how easy it is to focus when there is no one to chit chat or BS with. I shot my best match of my short 1 yr in this sport at the FL State Championship last month. It was my first level II match and my buddy had to back out at the last minute so i shot the match by myself. Don't think I said 5 words to my squad mates the whole match ...but I shot 3rd highest % pts shot and 4th highest total alphas shot - both higher then the division winner ...

+ 1, focus on execution not on results.

The drive to want to win is only an asset when it pushes you to practice better/more and develop your mental game. When you let it make decisions for you in a match it is never your friend. It will sing the siren song of shooting beyond your skill sets with predictable unpleasant results. The skills you bring that day are the only skills you have. No amount of desire will change that. Shoot your own game. Let the results sort themselves out after the match. My bet is that not only will you do better but you will enjoy the sport more.

The drive to want to win is only an asset when it pushes you to practice better/more and develop your mental game. When you let it make decisions for you in a match it is never your friend. It will sing the siren song of shooting beyond your skill sets with predictable unpleasant results. The skills you bring that day are the only skills you have. No amount of desire will change that. Shoot your own game. Let the results sort themselves out after the match. My bet is that not only will you do better but you will enjoy the sport more.

Good advice. Thank you.

Shooting at our club is as much a social event as a sport. It is the once or twice a month that I can get together with a group of close friends and let loose. I would not shoot on another squad -- primarily because I am the squad leader and RO. Three or four of us engage in a friendly competition each month, and we take our lumps occassionally, as do all shooters who push the envelope.

Adrenalin is usually a contributing factor, and controlling it is somewhat of an art form.

I noticed a dramatic improvement in my match scores when I stopped caring what other people thought, or if I wasn't doing something the way I was expected to. I just shot and had fun, not really paying any attention to anyone else's times or results. When you are having fun, you are much more relaxed, and the movements, such as reloading are more smooth.

I noticed a dramatic improvement in my match scores when I stopped caring what other people thought, or if I wasn't doing something the way I was expected to. I just shot and had fun, not really paying any attention to anyone else's times or results. When you are having fun, you are much more relaxed, and the movements, such as reloading are more smooth.

I appreciate your help. I always have fun when I shoot and I always strive to improve the quality of my technique. That pesky timer though...it changes everything.

"This weekend I was 4 seconds down going into the last stage. I figured I had to push harder to make up the time."

What did you think was going to make you faster than you are?

Or alternatively, if you were/are capable of being/going/shooting faster, why did you wait until the last stage to do so?

I've never seen anything good come from the conscious control of speed in a match.

There are some personality types that may be able to pull of a Hail Mary run on the last stage, and that may well be a skill unto itself, but for most it will be a lost cause.

Would you be willing to try another way?

Good advice. Thank you.

Yes - perfectly said.

+1 to this. Still pretty new to this but I started improving when I remembered this is all supposed to be fun and the only person I am competing against is myself. I have no aspirations to be a M or GM shooter. I do what I can to support the sport, recently took over a club to keep it going, and just try to make every match fun. Learning as I go and doing the best I can. Right now my focus is shooting clean.

That is so well written, that advice could be used in many threads.

Edited by toothguy

"This weekend I was 4 seconds down going into the last stage. I figured I had to push harder to make up the time."

What did you think was going to make you faster than you are?

Or alternatively, if you were/are capable of being/going/shooting faster, why did you wait until the last stage to do so?

I've never seen anything good come from the conscious control of speed in a match.

There are some personality types that may be able to pull of a Hail Mary run on the last stage, and that may well be a skill unto itself, but for most it will be a lost cause.

Would you be willing to try another way?

i dropped the time during a fumbled mag change on the first stage. we were pretty much even for the next 4 stages (I shot them to the best of my ability). I tried to push to hard on the last stage.

If you watch scores the self imposed pressure to win will over rule sound decision. Shoot to your best and let the chips fall where they may. Look at it this way. If you win ...how will your life change? If you loose how will your life change? The answer to both is not at all. Its just a game and we are fortunate to find others that like the same game we do.

If you find your self thinking about things that you did right or wrong in between stage right them down...a shooting diary...notes.... then when you practice go over what you want to change

• 2 weeks later...

+1 more

+1 to this. Still pretty new to this but I started improving when I remembered this is all supposed to be fun and the only person I am competing against is myself. I have no aspirations to be a M or GM shooter. I do what I can to support the sport, recently took over a club to keep it going, and just try to make every match fun. Learning as I go and doing the best I can. Right now my focus is shooting clean.

Once you are sponsored, in the limelight, on the supersquad, etc., it seems impossible to not be concerned with how you are doing. It's much easier at the lower levels where you can say you're still learning or you're just there to have fun. When it becomes an expectation for you to win, and you have a team, a paycheck, or fans counting on it, then it becomes important and adds pressure to the mental game, which may take away from the fun. There are some shooters who seem equipped with the ability to block it out as a distraction during the match and stay focused, but I think it's much more fun to be a new shooter making major gains in progress and shooting just for yourself.

Once you are sponsored, in the limelight, on the supersquad, etc., it seems impossible to not be concerned with how you are doing. It's much easier at the lower levels where you can say you're still learning or you're just there to have fun. When it becomes an expectation for you to win, and you have a team, a paycheck, or fans counting on it, then it becomes important and adds pressure to the mental game, which may take away from the fun. There are some shooters who seem equipped with the ability to block it out as a distraction during the match and stay focused, but I think it's much more fun to be a new shooter making major gains in progress and shooting just for yourself.

It's important to remember, even if you're a great shooter, that the limelight is mostly in your head.

Edited by toothguy