Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

competition is driving me crazy

tambarika

I noticed a dramatic improvement in my match scores when I stopped caring what other people thought, or if I wasn't doing something the way I was expected to. I just shot and had fun, not really paying any attention to anyone else's times or results. When you are having fun, you are much more relaxed, and the movements, such as reloading are more smooth.

+1 to this. Still pretty new to this but I started improving when I remembered this is all supposed to be fun and the only person I am competing against is myself. I have no aspirations to be a M or GM shooter. I do what I can to support the sport, recently took over a club to keep it going, and just try to make every match fun. Learning as I go and doing the best I can. Right now my focus is shooting clean.

Once you are sponsored, in the limelight, on the supersquad, etc., it seems impossible to not be concerned with how you are doing. It's much easier at the lower levels where you can say you're still learning or you're just there to have fun. When it becomes an expectation for you to win, and you have a team, a paycheck, or fans counting on it, then it becomes important and adds pressure to the mental game, which may take away from the fun. There are some shooters who seem equipped with the ability to block it out as a distraction during the match and stay focused, but I think it's much more fun to be a new shooter making major gains in progress and shooting just for yourself.

It's important to remember, even if you're a great shooter, that the limelight is mostly in your head.

I consider myself lucky not to be sponsored or in the limelight!

I’ll end up with the topic of fully sponsored shooters. I am familiar with this because I was fully sponsored for 10 years. When I received my first big offer I thought it was going to be the greatest thing that ever happened to me. I could accomplish things I never thought possible when I had to work for a living. Before I accepted their offer I spent weeks thinking about whether it was the best thing for the sport. I had some thoughts on this subject because the military was already paying shooters to compete full time. When a sport hits this level it eventually makes it difficult for the non-sponsored competitor to win. I was greedy and I took their money. Not long after that a shooter approached me and thanked me for writing Practical Shooting, and then, with a twinkle in his eye said, "I’m happy for you that you are being paid to do what you love, but I couldn’t do it. I love shooting too much." He knew. Sponsorship is not what you think. As soon as you are being paid to do something you love, everything changes. If you haven’t been there I know it’s hard to believe. But trust me, it’s true. I clearly remember the determination and drive I used to have. I haven’t felt that in a long time. Not since I have been paid to shoot.

Brian Enos

Edited by toothguy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm lucky in that I love to shoot and love competing more. I've never really felt i was being paid to do a job, more like I was a trust fund recipient and now got to shoot whenever i wanted, and I just had to wear a certain shirt or hat. I was going shooting regardless. Never looked at it as though I all of a sudden had to do something I didn't want to. Quite the opposite, I felt/feel like I was freed of the burden of everyday life to just do what I want. Which is to go shooting. Never felt otherwise.

I know lots of folks feel an increase in pressure to perform when they get paid, but my Peter Pan syndrome protects me from those thoughts and feelings. Someday when It all comes to an end I will look back on it and see it differently maybe, but the only part of this piece of my life I dislike is traveling. The rest is awesome, if you truly love to compete and perform, I'm living the dream. If getting rich and famous is your goal, find another sport.

I've never felt about it the way Brian did. As far as the part he talks about being good for the sport, I never saw it that way. My job isn't interlaced with whether it was good for the sport or not. Shooters buying the products I am paid to use is how I measure whether I am effective or not. Even that doesn't really effect my performance. No one is forced to pay my salary by paying taxes so I really don't see it as anything like the Military teams. They are being paid by the government to beat you. I get paid by a manufacturer to try and show you how good what they make is. If I beat you in the process then that's just proof of the products effectiveness. I'm working for a sponsor and I ultimately get paid only if you buy our products. I never use a product I don't believe in so it is easy for me maintain a clear conscience about my job.

If someone who is given the opportunity to be a paid shooter doesn't accept the offer, it's because he doesn't want to be a paid shooter. If you are motivated by the almighty dollar and can't make much shooting or realize that you may not reach the level you'd like, then pass on it. Enjoy shooting for what it is; a hobby. It is certainly not for everyone and damn few ever get the opportunity anyway. That "I love shooting too much to be payed to do it" part is hard for me to understand. That probably comes from someone who wants the money more than the shooting, which is ok. From my viewpoint and experience, I'd say he doesn't want to for reasons such as he really does not wanna spend the time and effort required, or have the complete skill set required to make it work. Harsh maybe but true. I really see that as just an excuse. If someone were rich and were offered the opportunity change their life and just shoot, at the expense of being rich, I imagine few would take it. If they really didn't have the talent, it's just theoretical anyway.

If I didn't think I had the skills I wouldn't consider it? It's not an easy job, but if you love guns and shooting, it is extremely rewarding, if you are successful. You gotta want to do it for the right reasons. Also, loving to shoot has little to do with being a paid shooter.

Prizes and classification systems are the real downfall of any amateur sport. The better shooters are always going to find a way to win and they aren't always the pro's, whatever that is.

BTW, now that I think about it, it would be a lot easier to have a normal job with less pressure and self induced performance anxiety. To know you will get paid regardless of whether you were the best or not. Holy cow, now I'm scaring myself!!! Better get a real Job.... Wait a minute, that's crazy talk, I love shooting too much to have a real job!

Edited by TGO

I'm lucky in that I love to shoot and love competing more. I've never really felt i was being paid to do a job, more like I was a trust fund recipient and now got to shoot whenever i wanted, and I just had to wear a certain shirt or hat. I was going shooting regardless. Never looked at it as though I all of a sudden had to do something I didn't want to. Quite the opposite, I felt/feel like I was freed of the burden of everyday life to just do what I want. Which is to go shooting. Never felt otherwise.

That's a great attitude, people with that attitude always seem to land on their feet. Many large corporations look to hire people with that attitude first, because they can train the rest.

Here's an update. This weekend was one month since the original post, and the match that prompted it. I went out and shot my game, and did not look at the score sheets at all during the match.

I did fairly well (3rd place) considering I was competing on one hour of sleep from the night before. I was a bit slow on the first stage, nailed the next four, and fell apart from exhaustion on the final stage.

All in all, a good match.

Edited by tambarika

• 1 year later...

77659a2e-8ecb-400e-9873-3b3a11f2c7d5_zps Maybe you are driving yourself crazy because you are competing against others rather than focusing on improving yourself!

Well said! I have just started to figure this out.. There will always be someone on your squad/match that is better/faster than you (most of the time). Shoot for yourself and yourself only.

The competitive spirit is alive and well in most of us, and it is difficult to use it constructively instead of letting it be destructive. One thing that helps me is to think of every match as "training" instead of "competition".