Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what can happen with to long A O L ?

CZ85Combat

Ditto. A minor load loaded long with the bullet pushed back won't be a 60k psi load, which is what proof loads are, and the chambers will handle that. Unless the barrel metallurgy is bad, then it was a stout double charge.

I can't wait to hear from all the experts who watch the video now....

DougC

Do not know the powder but he had to be close to a compressed charge already. I would bet on some form of set back or a bad case.

Having realized it is a steel match , I would go with a double charge, or a bad case.

Edited by Poppa Bear

The shooter handled the event very safely - kudos.

Yeah Sure.. :rolleyes: Except when he turned up range still holding the gun..

Yeah, I found that quite odd. It's like nobody cared since he just survived a scary event?

I see what you're talking about at the end as he's walking off. It looks like he's under the command of the RO and yes they probably should have had him holster the gun. I was referring to the actual malfunction before anyone knew what had happened. As soon as the malfunction occurred he turned his body but still had the presence to keep the gun down range. That's what I found encouraging. I hope to never see this happen to anyone or myself but if it does while I'm present I hope whoever it happens to is aware enough to remain safe. I have seen RO's walk someone to a safe area with gun unholstered after a malfunction and in those experiences I never felt it to be unsafe. I'm not a certified RO/SO so I'm unsure of the proper protocol in a situation like this.

Yeah, I found that quite odd. It's like nobody cared since he just survived a scary event?

Ideally, we would have seen someone try to rack and check clear, then holster. I might have been OK with not holstering if I had seen someone check for clear, but I didnt. I don't know SC rules, so it may have been legal.

I think protocol would dictate to either holster or bag the gun to leave the COF. Yes, the gun was safe but you can still get penalized (DQ'ed for unsafe gun handling) even with a safe gun.

I realize the topic is about the kaboom but once you are trained as an RO safety issues have a way of jumping out at you when they happen.

I can't quote for some reason. The thread may be getting locked?

Just cleaned up a bit. We all need reminding of the below forum guidelines at times.

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.

Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

I'll try to keep a civil tone, but I really do want to know: does a longer OAL increase or decrease pressure?

I'm just trying to get started in reloading, and since I don't have any primers, I can't run my own tests, so I'm looking to people I suspect know what they're doing to give me solid advice.