Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22lr pistol for 10yr old?

DJCAREY

I'd go with the 4" Target 22/45. Add a bushing and a fiber optic front sight and call it good.

My 9 and 11 year old have cycled through S&W 41s, Buckmarks, MkIIs, MkIIIs, and 22/45s and both shoot the 4" 22/45 the best. They actually prefer the 5.5" target model to the Buckmark and 22/45 Lite, but the 4" 22/45 is their favorite.

Pick up a used Sig Hammerli Trailside 4.5" Target model. The grip is small enought for a little hand but you can drop smaller Nill grips on it if you need to. The trigger is already better than a 22/45 with a Volquartsen in it. Its pretravel and overtravel adjustable, breaks clean and light. The sight picture is solid, and magazines are actually in stock and available for $35 out of Larry's Guns who specializes in them and other Hammerli guns. Plus its a gun a kid can grow into, and continue to compete, without being left wanting, at least in the rimfire department.

So many choices! A model 41 is a great gun but on the expensive side, plus you will need to buy replacement grips since the factory target grips are quite big. The S&W M&P 22 might be worth a look. All the Ruger's I have seen at our local steel league run very well, and a gun that runs is the most important feature. I know you said pistol, but have you considered a 4" 10 shot model 617? Certainly a more difficult gun for steel, but it does give a young shooter an extra degree of safety.

What about an m&p 22? If you want to get him into USPSA later it would be a pretty easy transition to a center fire M&P for production.

Kind of... Much as I like my M&P, the trigger on the M&P .22s are not good and there is no aftermarket trigger for it. Setting up a Ruger with the same style sights and a decent trigger makes it feel closer to my match M&P than the M&P22.

I can see where a 617 would be great for a 10 year old. Double action trigger and all. My dad has one it is a great gun. I have a 41 and a 22/45 They are both good choices. I would just keep an eye on the young one with the lighter single action trigger. Tim

• 4 weeks later...

For the money, the ruger mark series comes blue or stainless and will function flawless with high

Velocity ammo. Mine likes super x. But won't work with standard velocity. I suggest you buy

Hornady dry lube and cleaner, too keep the action

Working smooth.