Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Raw Fish

EricW

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, EricW doesn't like raw fish. Then he should do what we did at a Chinese restaurant near the office. It had a menu item that simply read, "Whole Fish." We must have gone there at least once a week for a year, with someone always joking about ordering the Whole Fish. (We ordered family style and you had to pick a dish to share.) Then one day one of the group ordered it as a gag. The waiter brought a platter with a... w h o l e f i s h. Head, eyes, tail, fins, etc. All kind of crispy on the outside, clearly well cooked and not raw. After we got over the initial shock, it was tasty. But we never ordered it again.

The newer Moe's places are too frilly and girlie man.

Except the little one a few miles North in Otter Rock. It’s on the same point as the Devil’s Punch Bowl at Otter Crest. The floor slopes and the walls lean and the tables are wooden picnic tables. They’ve cleaned it up a little lately but it’s still a long way from being “Yuppyfied” the way the others are. If I can help it, I won’t go into the one in Lincoln City; it’s just TOO cutesy. I guess we need SOMEWHERE for the tourist to go… ;)

Ed

We (yeahyeah, BBQ, short round, kevin c, kdj) got together at Area 1 and ate on all-you-can-eat night at a sushi restaurant. We all ate an extra piece for EricW.

Thread drift: There's something cool about preparing the food in front of you. It's honest and open and they aren't hiding anything.

I attended a full blown 'banquet' at a nice Chinese restaurant a couple of months ago and the service included a "whole fish" item that was to DIE for it was so delicious!! It didn't "look" at me, necessarily, but the cheeks were fabulous. :D Talk about tender...!

Didn't say I ate it. One friend bought one and made us laugh so hard we couldn't even stand up. He appeared to enjoy the, errrr... delicacy. :ph34r:

The smeltsicles were different. The little japanese kids loved them. I refused to eat any popsicle that looked back at me.

• 3 months later...

Damn you!!! Now I'm hungry. Might have to stop by the sushi place and get a box to go tomorrow. Mmmmm, salmon, salmon roe, eel, tuna. I really hate you. Have to wait till tomorrow to satisfy my craving. Man that looks so good. I really hate you now. Why do you have to post a picture like that this late at night.

<homer mode>

Mmmmmmmmm........... <drool>.....</drool>

</homer mode>

Unagi, Maguro, Sake, and one of my favories - Masago! What's in the rolls???? Mmmmmmmmmmmm............. raw fish....... :)

Dave

That is why there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry....

D--k on a stick might cause the most adventurous of eaters to blanche a bit...I like squid also....but being strickly hetero, d--k on a stick....well, I just have to pass.. ;):wacko:

• 7 months later...

Hahahaha!

My memory of summer vacations on beach are filled with baked squid on stick. Its not bad as sea-cucumber (argh, I don't like that stuff).

When it comes to food though, Japanese are wimps. We have saying "Chinese eat anything it flys except for airplane, eat anything which have 4 legs, excet for a table" Their culinary gung-ho gotta respected.

But wait a sec.... now that I think about it.... hmmm, oh yeah, funny that, it IS a d--k on a stick, isn't it?

Thanks for bringing this one back to the top, Rika. Funny stuff.

Swan's Oyster Depot in SF

Just went there last week and had my usual bowl of clam chowder to start and a dozen mixed oysters half shell with a few littleneck clams alongside (all raw). Yummm!

BTW, the secret of why Swan's chowder is so good is that they put oyster juice in it (no shjt). SigLady would just love that ;-)

--

Regards,