Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much do you normally "stock up" on reloading supplies ?

anthem

Wondering what people normally stock up in primers, bullets, brass, and powder for shooting sports. I'm not talking end of the world type of scenarios, but what each of you guys are stocking up to have an adequate supply. This is kind of an extension of a post I made about what people are doing with the reloading shortage we're seeing now.

I stock the following(usually in each caliber), but am now finding that it doesn't appear to be enough -

10K bullets

8k brass (usually this is enough as you can usually recover brass)

12lbs of powder

10k primer total.

I usually try and keep my primer and bullet total the same, but since I've been able to get bullets in the last couple months but not primers, the primers are whats running low. Looks like I'll be doubling/tripling that number when things hopefully settle down.

Edited by anthem

Yes that would probably be helpful information. I shoot about 10-15K rounds per year. So thats about a years worth or at worst about 8 months worth. Definitely a bit on the shorter side of things, but just wondering what others are "carrying" as an average that they always have.

primers are cheaper than bullets, and also have a hazmat fee, so I tend to order them in larger numbers. Right now I have about 20k primers and only 4000 bullets (plus another 2500 rounds already loaded) for the caliber I shoot the most. In the next month or so I'll be putting in a 10-15k bullet order. Powder I don't normally stress about, since it has always been freely available at a decent price locally. I may have to rethink that strategy, although 4 lbs of clays lasts a long long time.

Edited by motosapiens

I try to keep 8+ lbs of each powder, a case of each bullet plus 3-4 months of loaded ammo and 20k+ of primers.

Primers always seem to be the issue in shortages, so I keep the most of those. They also seem to be the most valuble in a trade/sell/barter situation if I need to trade for bullets or powder.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I buy primers 5k at a time and bullets 2-3k at a time. Powder 8lbs. at a time. I buy them when they are available locally and that has managed to build up a large enough supply of powder and primers that I usually have a few years on hand. This time however I lent out components to others right before the run, and now I am down to 3k of 9mm bullets. Waiting for the call daily that there are some at my supplier. He also supplies the guys who borrowed against this next shipment of bullets. I should be good for the year after that. Then it will be looking for next years now. That is the way you have to do it. This sport might get light on shooters for a season or two who just will not have a supply on hand to do the things they would like or feel they need to enjoy this sport. And let's face it, there are those who really hate dry fire and feel the need to practice with live ammo on a regular basis. I do not know what those people are doing. I suppose like me they have taken to really eating it a bit when their supplier is holding. Gotta get a bit more than you used to in order to ensure you will have it in the long run period.

If you kep a year's worth on hand, you'll have plenty of time to find more before you run out, or make whatever adjustments you have to make in a worst case scenario (i.e. zombie apocalypse, 3rd term, etc).

If you kep a year's worth on hand, you'll have plenty of time to find more before you run out, or make whatever adjustments you have to make in a worst case scenario (i.e. zombie apocalypse, 3rd term, etc).

Not to be an arse, but thats mildly obvious. You could extend it further by saying if you stock up for 2 terms worth of presidents (8 years), you an then have plenty before you hopefully have to make adjustments to your stock. Or maybe you should say 16 years and then some since thats the longest one party has stayed in party consecutively in the pseduo-modern era. ..

What I was trying to see was what kind of stock people were stocking up during this sort of "run" on supplies/parts/guns/ammo to see where we all stood. Because I generally have around a year, but with the shortage, you let some friends borrow some here/there - things deplete a bit more quickly. Yeah, you can shaft your buddies and horde like crazy but thats not exactly good neighborly friends because someone else didn't prepare adequately.

I'm with Graham, more buying in bulk to reduce cost than stocking up. I thought my dad was crazy for buying a crapload of primers over the last two years, he seems to always want to buy a sleeve or two when the gunshow comes around... But hey, makes sense now doesn't it? I currently have enough bullets to last the year but am looking to order more soon. My main concern right now is powder. I went trough 8lb of solo 1000 in the last ~8 months and just opened the 2nd 8lber I bought along with the first (same lot). After that goes I'll have to find more... PV still shows a good price for solo, but none in stock. I guess I'll have to be patient, but I don't want to get stuck without my preferred powder. Since solo is lot sensative, I'll probably stock up on it next time I see it in stock at a decent price.

I always figured the cheapest and most economical way for myself was after the first of the year and all holiday expenses were paid, whatever I had left from my end of year bonus, I would make one fail swoop from Grafs on components requiring has mat fee's. So 10k-15k primers and a large keg of powder or two. Then with some help from my next paycheck I would order a single case of bullets from Montana Gold (x4000 9mm or x3000 40cal) That would keep me good till I got my tax return and I'd order another case or two from Montana Gold.

THIS YEAR however, my plan got totally screwed. Asside from the shortage and everything on back order, looks like I'm having to pay in on taxes rather than get anything back :(

In the fall I purchase what I will need for the next year which I did this year however I had a new gun on order and I didn't plan accordingly (http://www.brianenos...howtopic=169623).

Has anyone got any 9mm bullets they want to sell? :)

No bullets, but I'll take that pretty little gun off your hands for a good price ;)

So I'm not just posting off topic, I like to keep a year or so of components around. This year I'm a little short on bullets but I'll manage. I may have to shoot Limited or Single Stack for a little while if the 9mm dry up.

In the fall I purchase what I will need for the next year which I did this year however I had a new gun on order and I didn't plan accordingly (http://www.brianenos...howtopic=169623).

Has anyone got any 9mm bullets they want to sell? :)

No bullets, but I'll take that pretty little gun off your hands for a good price ;)

So I'm not just posting off topic, I like to keep a year or so of components around. This year I'm a little short on bullets but I'll manage. I may have to shoot Limited or Single Stack for a little while if the 9mm dry up.

Same here... Until things get back to normal the new gun may just sit around as eye candy.

I recently got back in to reloading.

I still had primers and powder and cast lead bullets from the 70's. 1970's that is.

I wish I had had the foresight then to have bought more primers, especially. Prices on the boxes I have from then, 6 to 7 bucks per 1k.

Some of the powders 4 to 7 bucks a pound depending.

SO I recently had to buy 5k each of large and small pistol. Sticker shotck.

I say buy as much as you can snarf and store.

Damn kids, get off my lawn.

Oh, I was at a gun show today. Saw a bunch of Joe Biden Specials there. .. short barrel 12 gauge side by sides complete with 19th century

cocking hammers.

No small rifle or small pistol primers there though. So I needed the laugh.

Oh, p.s. the CCI primers I had from 70's are still working fine. So was the powda. I did store the primers inside for most of those years though, so that probablyi helped.

Edited by Buzi