Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHAT DIGITAL SCALES ARE YOU USING?

DJCAREY

I've been using a RCBS RangeMaster 750 for 3 years. I've loaded 30k plus rounds of 40's, and 9mm's. About 110 $. No problems with it yet. It's a piece of fine equipment, and if you treat it gently, and only use it to weigh powder, and bullets (1 at at time), then it should work fine.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a gempro off amazon. The buttons are on/off, units, light, and units again. I think the last one should be tare. Kind of confused me. Instuctions suck. But i think im going to like it.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

I am using a little Hornady GS 1500.

It is battery powered and comes with a calibration weight.

It also has a tare weight button to zero the scale out if you change

powder pans. I use the one that came with my Dillon beam scale.

Best of all it doesn't take up much room.

I bought it to double check my balance scale. It turns out to be so darn

easy to use it is the one I use most now and check it with the balance scale.

It is faster and it saves me a bit of time.

I don't know how long the batteries last but I change them once a week just for

the heck of it. It takes two AAA's.

I really like the little thing and for $30 I think it is a great scale.

Edited by gasbag

I used a Dillon for years and it went south . I started thinking about how often I used a scale and decided to buy a less expensive one than the Dillon. I bought the lowest price on Brian sells here. It has been excellent. I have an RCBS beam scale that I use to verify loads and electronic scales. I checked my new electronic scale and it read the same as my beam scale. It came with a check weight and instructions along with a 20 year warranty. Excellent product especially for the price.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have 2 Dillion electronic that are at least 5 years old and 1 Herter's mechanical. I check them all for accuracy before I use them.

I bought a food scale for the guns. Took it to the post office and used their weight to check it. It was very close to being correct. Then when I wanted to know for sure, I took the gun over and weighed it. Just don't take the gun in without asking first!!!

I am sorry but this is the WORDT ADVICE I have ever read. It is a felony in every state in USA to carry a gun into a post office EVEN if you are a CCW holder. Only Feds and officers can. It is federal property. Just like you cannot carry in a court house or any federal building, even if you are a CCW holder.

Edited by dtt255

I use a RCBS 1500 Chargemaster combo and RCBS 1010 scale. Both work really great.

Another here for the Chargemaster 1500. It is great, dispenses fast, and no issues in the 3 years that I've had it. I highly recommend it.

I remember spending a week or so mulling over the choices a few years back.

I had been using a ancient RCBS balance dating from 70's. I wanted to update and something speedier and more flexible.

After all that reading and research on the mighty internet I determined the onliy one worth buying was the Gempro 250.

It isn't as expensive as true lab grade gear but offers damn near as good results.

I determined all the scales I ran across from various reloading suppliers were no better than the cheap 25 dollar ones you can buy from ebay or wherever.

That the 90 dollar brand x with famous reload name on it was just as good as the 25 dollar one.

(EDIT, when I say 'I determined ' I inferred from what others reported not from direct experimentation by me)

More or less the same as say, comparing a 20 dollar dial indicator to a quality bit of kit, say from Mitutoyo or Starret (whether their Chinese lower cost or their

USA made version).

If I wasn't lazy I'd find that old link I had run across that finally convinced me to go with the Gempro.. basically it concluded that the resolution you see on the

cheaper scales is a lie. On a scale like the Gempro it is far closer to truth and a finer resolution.

I do encourage anyone to keep a old school beam scale around and compare and always use a kit of reference weights.

I keep my Gempro plugged in to AC all the time. Turned off unless I need to use it that session.

Always store your digital scale WITH NO PANS ON IT.

That small weight will over time degrade the extremely sensitive sensor underneath.

Note, all electronic scales will degrade, that sensor has a lifetime. You can onlyi lengthen it by not leaving pans on that scale or other weights when you are

not actively measuring.

Once I got the faith in my electronic scale I've not used my old beam scale in over 2 years. It just sits there and pouts now.

But I'm keeping it as it has lasted since the 70's and will probably see me to the grave.

Edited by Buzi

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...