Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should USPSA allow 8-shot minor in Revolver Division?

Carmoney

Theoretically, if my 610 was out of commission (this is what I shoot in every USPSA match) and I was inclined to take a 627, I would more likely want to shoot it in Production. 2 rounds, even scored as minor is a huge advantage - even if it means not having one static reload a match to clear an 8 shot array.

Lee

Man, I'd gladly trade doing one static reload per match in order to have major scoring. All day, Brother. All day.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_mlNTBhXkE

I think this is a good example, disregard the light strikes and imagine shooting a 6 shot with this same course.

Hey thanks for posting one of my videos unfortanately that was one I was a bonehead and didn't allow embeding. I changed that setting so it should show up. Here is a Video of the actual Outlaw revolver match. I was running my 625 in this video and I have only had the gun for a month and I wasn't thrilled with my performance but here it is.

Brian Schrock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xbKaubDttA

Theoretically, if my 610 was out of commission (this is what I shoot in every USPSA match) and I was inclined to take a 627, I would more likely want to shoot it in Production. 2 rounds, even scored as minor is a huge advantage - even if it means not having one static reload a match to clear an 8 shot array.

Lee

Man, I'd gladly trade doing one static reload per match in order to have major scoring. All day, Brother. All day.

Sure, but in reality it would be closer to ten or fifteen reloads, static or not, through a match. It's not like I'm going to shoot a six-shot array and then dump the clip if I can find another two rounds somewhere to expend. (you know this of course, but I thought it needed to be clarified)

Edited by Matt Griffin

• 2 weeks later...

IPSC 101 match this thursday at Rio Salado is apparently 6 round neutral, although apparently by accident. Scott said it just turned out that way after he designed the COF. If you are in PHX area come on out. I'm going to try to shoot both 8 minor and 6 major to see what happens on neutral COF.

Go to Riopractical.com for info.

As I said before, I think the reasonable compromise is to see if the 2013 Revolver Nationals in Barry results in a generous upswing in participation at the various area and sectional matches during the rest of the year. If there is big surge of participation in Revolver this year, we probably shouldn't mess with the division rules.

If we don't see a big upswing, then there is little or nothing to preserve, and I believe it's time to campaign the BOD to consider a proposal to allow 8-minor to compete in Revolver Division along with 6-major.

As I said before, I think the reasonable compromise is to see if the 2013 Revolver Nationals in Barry results in a generous upswing in participation at the various area and sectional matches during the rest of the year. If there is big surge of participation in Revolver this year, we probably shouldn't mess with the division rules.

If we don't see a big upswing, then there is little or nothing to preserve, and I believe it's time to campaign the BOD to consider a proposal to allow 8-minor to compete in Revolver Division along with 6-major.

That does sound pretty reasonable. I think I will go ahead with my plans for another 6 shot major revolver.

The polls show people are for "now", not may be a year from now. Even if 8 shot minor was approved after Nationals, it still takes awhile for some folks to get an 8 shot and gear up.

The time is now to campaign the BOD, not start talking to the BOD a year from now. It is pretty easy to amend the rule book, it's not easy to get the approval.

Edited by lcs

I have 3 8shot revos. There is no ICORE or Steel Challenge anywhere that I know of within a few hundred miles. If USPSA would let 8 shots shoot minor in the revo class, I would start shooting it. As it is, I have 3 cool guns with no playground.

I have 3 8shot revos. There is no ICORE or Steel Challenge anywhere that I know of within a few hundred miles. If USPSA would let 8 shots shoot minor in the revo class, I would start shooting it. As it is, I have 3 cool guns with no playground.

Not to be a smart-a$$, but shoot the eight shots and learn to count to six. I learned that in first grade, although I stillforget sometimes. :goof:

That doesn't work very well. If you only load 6 in a moonclip it's a nightmare to reload quickly AND index the cylinder properly as you close it. If you load all 8, shoot 6 and dump with 2 live rounds, it tends to bend up a lot of $6 each moonclips when they hit the ground.

<p>

That doesn't work very well. If you only load 6 in a moonclip it's a nightmare to reload quickly AND index the cylinder properly as you close it. If you load all 8, shoot 6 and dump with 2 live rounds, it tends to bend up a lot of $6 each moonclips when they hit the ground.

<I haven't found this to be a problem. I'm sure Herthco will back me up on this./p>

Not to be a smart-a$$, but shoot the eight shots and learn to count to six. I learned that in first grade, although I stillforget sometimes. :goof:

When you start a sentence with "not to be a smart-a$$", it's to late. ;)

Dang. No Steel Challenge in your area (KC). :(

Steel Challenge is such an easy match to setup and run. Heck, it can be done on the cheap...just turn around 5 poppers so they don't fall.

If you allow 8 rounds without a scoring dissadvatage such as 8 round guns only score as minor vs 6 round guns scoring major similar to the 9mm vs .40 in SS division the 8 round guns will simply take over and the 6 round revision will be obsolete. You won't have done anything to grow the division.

If you want to try to grow that division or at least grow the Nationals it has to have its own match like they are doing this year. I have a 625 and I enjoy shooting it but not as much as I enjoy shooting all of my semi autos. With that says I would enjoy some regional or state matches that were division specific. If there was a revo only state match within a 2-3 hour drive I would make an effort to attend as long as it wasnt overlapping with another big match.

Steel Challenge is such an easy match to setup and run. Heck, it can be done on the cheap...just turn around 5 poppers so they don't fall.

Actually, Mill Creek is trying/has been running a SC type match on Wednesday nights (and might be? working towards an official SC match if it's not already)

I just got my 625 2 weeks ago and plan to shoot it this season. I voted 'same', BUT i am really gonna be bummed if I have to go out and get and 8 shot now. :angry2: j/k nothing wrong with buying another gun. Ok what do you all recommend...so I can start looking now :surprise:

Monson on sunday? Maybe I won't be the only revolver!

To answer the question about whether the BOD knows about the intrest and the poll.......I can definately say YES !!!! as at least 1 of the BOD members is participating in the discussion right Flex ?

I have spoken with a couple others and the President about this issue and a few others. They are aware of the comments and are taking it into consideration.......but this stuff takes time so be patient.

Hop

given there is some place that would allow steel.

To answer the question about whether the BOD knows about the intrest and the poll.......I can definately say YES !!!! as at least 1 of the BOD members is participating in the discussion right Flex ?

I have spoken with a couple others and the President about this issue and a few others. They are aware of the comments and are taking it into consideration.......but this stuff takes time so be patient.

Hop

That said, I'll throw in that the key to increased participatiion is to include not exclude. That applies to the equipment (guns) and the test (matches). If you really want more shooters, then you have to do something to give them a reason to come - which generally means at least a level playing field. "Six neutral" stages make a huge difference. As long as the matches put the 6 and 8 shooters at an insurmountable disadvantage on every stage don't expect increased participation from those shooters.