Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powder do you use for 45 Acp

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use WST for my practice loads and N320 for match loads.

Both flow great through my Dillon 550 and are fairly clean

burning. I use 200gr Montana Gold and Zero bullets.

If you are interested in my load data; sent me a PM,

I'd be happy to share it with you

Regular Clays is great, but doesn't flow well in my Dillon 550.

No problem with Clays in a 550 for me...after I cleaned and lubed the moving parts. Clays is great for barely-major or light loads pushing a heavy bullet. For heavy loads, I would use something slower.

PowerPistol user here... I was able to find it in a large bulk on the net. i use it for 380,9mm,.40cal,38spl,357mag,44mag & 45ACP. its hard to go wrong with a 45ACP load, easy to get the velocity I want, meters well in my powder hopper, Burns clean enough. I run it through my Dillon RL550B more then enough press for me but for some reason I am not satisfied till I get a 650 & a 1050. dont forget to get a cronograph to measure your loads or you wil be testing and shooting your loads blind.. good luck and be safe. :cheers:

Not one person mentioned bullet weight, how much does that factor into powder selection?

Jeff

This is the Beginners Forum, so I cut back on my reply, but bullet weight does matter. It all depends on the feel you want. A heavy bullet (230 gr) with a smaller weight of fast powder (e.g., Clays) will feel very soft shooting, but still make power factor for major. But some shooters want snappy, so a lighter bullet and more of a slower powder (e.g., 231) will feel like the slide is moving faster. I shot a bunch of 200 gr bullets and 231, and like the feel of 230gr and Clays better. But be careful with Clays. I learned about keeping the press's moving parts clean because it was throwing a few tenths of a grain too much Clays sometimes and resulted in flattened primers. I will re-phrase what I said in my earlier post. Do not use Clays and 230gr bullets if you want to make loads that are very far past major power factor. Looking for a 45acp ball equivalent load? Do not use Clays.

BTW, at least one person saw me shoot my 45 and suspects I am not making major (he shot it, too). Unless my chrono or scale are lying, it makes major. But FEELS very soft.

• 3 weeks later...

Wst, Clays, Bullseye, 700X, for target loads. I currently shoot 4.3 of WST with a 200 cast bullet the other powders also work. Use 4.2 Bullseye with a 200 cast SWC for bulls eye competition. I think most fast burning powders work well for target loads. I have used 231 but it dosen't seem to do as well as the others at the lighter loadings.