Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new USPSA division?

ac4wordplay

About as political as I'm going to get is to say that I wouldn't make any major changes to our rules right yet due to possible SCOTUS challenges on this law.

For the time being if I was in NY I'd shoot revolver. Single-stack with the 8-round major limit is close and people in the state could probably shoot it with 7-round mags and have a good time, but if you travel out of state to other matches you'd be at a disadvantage and the target array breakdowns will change drastically with 7-round mags instead of 8.

If the law doesn't get changed though I can't see us making any national level changes in USPSA for one state.

Too get us back on topic, I went ahead and cleaned out 8 or so posts going back and forth on how political the topic had gotten. Thanks to those looking out...and reminding/informing others to be sure to curtail the political aspects. - Admin.

The law does have a provision for Nationally recognized shooting events and or training at legitimate shooting ranges, that would allow the use of 10 rounds mags.

Read through the law http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013 and don't see any exemptions. (It is a lengthy read though)

As I understand it loading any magazine with more than 7 rounds is a Class B misdemeanor for first offense($200 fine, up to six months imprisonment)

With the upcoming season of competition and the speed in which the law was passed, I hope these issues can be resolved

The law does have a provision for Nationally recognized shooting events and or training at legitimate shooting ranges, that would allow the use of 10 rounds mags.

Read through the law http://open.nysenate...bill/S2230-2013 and don't see any exemptions. (It is a lengthy read though)

As I understand it loading any magazine with more than 7 rounds is a Class B misdemeanor for first offense($200 fine, up to six months imprisonment)

With the upcoming season of competition and the speed in which the law was passed, I hope these issues can be resolved

Section 7-F

POSSESSION AND USE OF A MAGAZINE, BELT, FEED STRIP OR SIMILAR

DEVICE, THAT CONTAINS MORE THAN SEVEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION, BUT THAT

DOES NOT HAVE A CAPACITY OF OR CAN READILY BE RESTORED OR CONVERTED TO

ACCEPT MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION, AT AN INDOOR OR OUTDOOR

FIRING RANGE LOCATED IN OR ON PREMISES OWNED OR OCCUPIED BY A DULY

INCORPORATED ORGANIZATION ORGANIZED FOR CONSERVATION PURPOSES OR TO

FOSTER PROFICIENCY IN ARMS; AT AN INDOOR OR OUTDOOR FIRING RANGE FOR THE

PURPOSE OF FIRING A RIFLE OR SHOTGUN; AT A COLLEGIATE, OLYMPIC OR TARGET

SHOOTING COMPETITION UNDER THE AUSPICES OF OR APPROVED BY THE NATIONAL

RIFLE ASSOCIATION; OR AT AN ORGANIZED MATCH SANCTIONED BY THE INTERNA

TIONAL HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE ASSOCIATION

What I could find was the following. Reading legalese is difficult for me, but I found the following:

POSSESSION AND USE OF A MAGAZINE, BELT, FEED STRIP OR SIMILAR DEVICE, THAT CONTAINS MORE THAN SEVEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION, BUT THAT DOES NOT HAVE A CAPACITY OF OR CAN READILY BE RESTORED OR CONVERTED TO ACCEPT MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION, AT AN INDOOR OR OUTDOOR FIRING RANGE LOCATED IN OR ON PREMISES OWNED OR OCCUPIED BY A DULY INCORPORATED ORGANIZATION ORGANIZED FOR CONSERVATION PURPOSES OR TO FOSTER PROFICIENCY IN ARMS; AT AN INDOOR OR OUTDOOR FIRING RANGE FOR THE PURPOSE OF FIRING A RIFLE OR SHOTGUN; AT A COLLEGIATE, OLYMPIC OR TARGET SHOOTING COMPETITION UNDER THE AUSPICES OF OR APPROVED BY THE NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION; OR AT AN ORGANIZED MATCH SANCTIONED BY THE INTERNA TIONAL HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE ASSOCIATION.

Based on what I've been able to discern, here's what's true:

Mags that hold more than 10 rounds are banned - period. You have 1 year to sell them.

Mags that hold 8 to 10 rounds are grandfathered, but you can't get new ones going forward.

New mags must hold no more than 7 rounds.

If you have a grandfathered 10-round magazine, then you may not load it with more than 7 rounds except as mentioned in the paragraph above.

So long story short, if you're shooting with 10-round magazines currently you probably will be OK going forward (though for new shooters its going to be hard to get into most divisions). If you are shooting with hi-caps you're SOL as the exception for loading more than 7 rounds at a target range doesn't apply to mags that can hold more than 10 rounds.

I'd think it would be L-8 with 7 round mags anyway.

Nah the division capacity always refers to the mag capacity - not the +1. Limited 10 and Production both mandate 10 round mags but unless its an unloaded start you start with 11 in the gun (1 in the tube + 10 in the mag).

With a 10rnd maximum-law what will happen with Limited/Prod or IPSC?

What impact wíll it have on the 2014 IPSC Worldshoot in Florida?

If Florida mimics this NY madness I'm moving to Texas. If Texas follows suit it doesn't matter because the world has ended. So far there is no hard and passed national legislation, just speculation. NY has passed legislation which is being discussed in this thread. I don't ever plan on brining a gun anywhere near NY, but I feel for the law abiding residents who will suffer accordingly. I get that it's sometimes hard to discern between Florida and New York (see Boca Raton) but trust me, we are quite enamored with our freedom and our firearms.

If Florida mimics this NY madness I'm moving to Texas. If Texas follows suit it doesn't matter because the world has ended. So far there is no hard and passed national legislation, just speculation. NY has passed legislation which is being discussed in this thread. I don't ever plan on brining a gun anywhere near NY, but I feel for the law abiding residents who will suffer accordingly. I get that it's sometimes hard to discern between Florida and New York (see Boca Raton) but trust me, we are quite enamored with our freedom and our firearms.

Even if Texas falls, Kentucky will still be alive and well for the gun world to occupy.

What I could find was the following. Reading legalese is difficult for me, but I found the following:

POSSESSION AND USE OF A MAGAZINE, BELT, FEED STRIP OR SIMILAR DEVICE, THAT CONTAINS MORE THAN SEVEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION, BUT THAT DOES NOT HAVE A CAPACITY OF OR CAN READILY BE RESTORED OR CONVERTED TO ACCEPT MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION, AT AN INDOOR OR OUTDOOR FIRING RANGE LOCATED IN OR ON PREMISES OWNED OR OCCUPIED BY A DULY INCORPORATED ORGANIZATION ORGANIZED FOR CONSERVATION PURPOSES OR TO FOSTER PROFICIENCY IN ARMS; AT AN INDOOR OR OUTDOOR FIRING RANGE FOR THE PURPOSE OF FIRING A RIFLE OR SHOTGUN; AT A COLLEGIATE, OLYMPIC OR TARGET SHOOTING COMPETITION UNDER THE AUSPICES OF OR APPROVED BY THE NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION; OR AT AN ORGANIZED MATCH SANCTIONED BY THE INTERNA TIONAL HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE ASSOCIATION.

Mags that hold more than 10 rounds are banned - period. You have 1 year to sell them.

Mags that hold 8 to 10 rounds are grandfathered, but you can't get new ones going forward.

If you have a grandfathered 10-round magazine, then you may not load it with more than 7 rounds except as mentioned in the paragraph above.

So long story short, if you're shooting with 10-round magazines currently you probably will be OK going forward (though for new shooters its going to be hard to get into most divisions). If you are shooting with hi-caps you're SOL as the exception for loading more than 7 rounds at a target range doesn't apply to mags that can hold more than 10 rounds.

NY already had a 10 round mag limit.

I thought I read somewhere that NY would be allowed to keep 10 rd mags currently owned as long as they were not loaded over 7 rds. Also that the 10rd capacity could be used at ranges and NRA sanctioned shooting events or something of the sort. Hope all the NY guys don't get left out of all of the fun.

Even if Texas falls, Kentucky will still be alive and well for the gun world to occupy.

And I have a house in Florida, and Kentucky.... Gary, I nominated you as the head honcho for a new shooting sport USFSA..... UNITED STATES FLINTLOCK SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION.... Rules are getting wrote up in the humor forum.

And I have a house in Florida, and Kentucky.... Gary, I nominated you as the head honcho for a new shooting sport USFSA..... UNITED STATES FLINTLOCK SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION.... Rules are getting wrote up in the humor forum.

We have vast experience with the Kentucky Long Rifle.

It would seem to me that a financial opportunity looms in the areas which must divest themselves of their Hi-Cap mags within one year of the law going into effect.

Merely contact the local head of the Mafia, or any competing organization, and see what sort of outrageous price you can extract. After all, when law abiding citizens don't have excessive firepower, only the criminals will.

Looks like the MA Governor read the NY laws. Thinking hard about selling a Colt rifle and getting set up for Single Stack. Wish the hands were good enough to get back into revolver but not this year.

The sport will hopefully survive with some ingenuity. My sympathies go to the newer shooters or those that were on the fence. The got the pickets ....................well, you get the idea.

Something to think about.....if we ever are invaded Cal and NY will be the first areas to fall due to limited mag capacity! Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing....have to think about that for while.

Mike

Loading 8 rounds in a 10 round mag, couldn't they just move you to Open? :roflol: Talk about a penalty for a brain fade!