Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recipe for Bayou bullets and Clays powder ?

dforeid

Folks,

I have a Sig 1911. I am new to reloading and have picked up some 230 RN Bayou bullets, new Starline brass and Clays powder, two questions:

Do you have a good recipe - can't find this combo in my new Lyman book.

Also, I have Federal primers available locally - which ones would you suggest?

Thanks,

Don

3.9 to 4.0 grs of clays with a 230 lead bullet at appox 1.240-50 is the "en quote" standard load for guys shooting uspsa single stack. Everybody I know shoots that load. Like stated before its soft shooting and always make major power factor.

• 2 weeks later...

3.6 Clays. 1.25 OAL works splendidly in my 1911's and functions with standard recoil spring weights.

The stiff recoil springs in my FNP-45 needs 4.1 Clays to cycle reliably.

One nice thing about Bayou at higher velocities is minimal smoke and no worries about possible leading.

I just tested my 230gr Bayou bullets with Clsys this week in my Sti Spartan

OAL 1.250 WLP

3.6gr of clays Avg of 20 =716 fps

3.8gr of clays Avg of 20 =745 fps SD=11 ES=38

I use 3.8gr of clays with Bayou 230gr and get about the same results. This has been my absolute favorite load for competition use. People shoot that out of my 1911 and they almost can't believe it's a 45. To me, it shoots softer than a lot of the 40's I've tried out of other guns.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tested my 230gr Bayou bullets with Clsys this week in my Sti Spartan

OAL 1.250 WLP

3.6gr of clays Avg of 20 =716 fps

3.8gr of clays Avg of 20 =745 fps SD=11 ES=38

I use 3.8gr of clays with Bayou 230gr and get about the same results. This has been my absolute favorite load for competition use. People shoot that out of my 1911 and they almost can't believe it's a 45. To me, it shoots softer than a lot of the 40's I've tried out of other guns.

I am there with you. My buddies have a hard time believing my ACP major loads with Clays are that soft. They have threatened to pull out a chrono on me at the local matches even! I do feel that the felt recoil with the Clays at major in ACP is less overall than the major 40 loads I have using 231. And of course, dad is still up in arms that I would use anything other than Bullseye in 45. He even gave me an old pound can a few years ago (was marked $8 for the pound) in hopes that I would switch. Can is still sealed in the back of the powder box.

This is some good info, thanks for everyone that has chimed in. For me I'm currently on the waiting list for Bayou and loading with Bullseye. I know a lot of competitiors are using Clays and I'm going to check it out at some point.

If anyone cares a 5-gun Expert friend of mine is loading 230gr. Bayou RNs with 4.3 gr. of Bullseye and an OAL of 1.23... just throwing it out there. I didn;t ask what is chrono was on these, but his whole team uses this recipe so I imagine it makes PF

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been loading 4.0gr of clays over a 230gr lrn bullet

It is super soft shooting but when I chrono'd them they were in the 600-700fps arena. Very slow. I don't know if I'm loading them too long or if I need to double check my powder scale.

I

JerZSquid -

You should look for about 750 fps average. I have two scales and check one against the other. I do the quick checks on the electronic and the final on the beam. You can lose about 60 fps by over crimping, and if you are using a Lee FCD on those bullets you could be under sizing them and losing a bunch of FPS. I use 3.8gr of Clays with a 230 RN Precision or Bayou but the OAL is 1.20 to 1.22. SWC''s on the other hand are 1.260.

• 1 month later...