Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is up with .22 Ammo?

I've been to two local Wal*Marts in the last week and neither one of them had .22 ammo. None! They had 380, 9, 38, 40, 45 30-06, basically anything you could want. They had 7.62, PDX, I mean everything. And not one damn box of.22.

What gives with that? Any clue?

Hysterical gunowners?

4 years ago a buddy of mine (college professor BTW) started buying up .22 ammo right after the election. He didn't stop until his closet floor was in serious danger of caving in. Something over 60K? Probably well over a 10 year supply.

Hysteria and panic buying, I'm sure.

Zombies...

Prior to 2012, I probably shot a grand total of 4K rounds of .22 over 35 years. In 2012, between my wife and 2 boys and me, we've gone through about 8K the last 6 months! Our local dealer is selling more .22 pistols and rifles than ever before. I have built a .22 rf 2 gun set for myself to shoot rf kind of to practice for 3gun.

Rimfire is growing and it is cheaper to shoot. I know I have a whole squad of new shooters ready for Steel challenge next week. 6 new shooters with 4 new guns.

Yeah, I use CCI MiniMags when I'm doing a competition (for reliability)... For the past few months couldn't find any anywhere, they got bought-up?

If I didn't know any better I'd think the factory stopped making them :o

Edited by SlowShooter

Yep, what you guys have all said sounds about right. Just really strange, since after the last election you couldn't buy anything but .22. Now it's the opposite.....for now.

Just got back from Academy. Bought two boxes of Remington. Hopefully it's reliable, have never used them ( in .22 ). It's for steel challenge, and if you shoot that, you know that one jam is too many most times.

Some of it it is bulk buying but I think another reason is that people are just plain shooting more? Maybe it is just my area but in the last couple of years there has been a marked increased in people shooting. Where the local public range would have 3-4 trucks parked using the range on a Saturday, now there are 10-12 trucks and cars there and this is on days where the weather isn't all that great. My office is a couple of blocks away from a gun shop with an indoor range, I drive by it twice a day. There are always, it seems, 4-5 rigs parked at the shop during business hours.

You can call it "hysteria" if you want, I guess, but I think there are many more gun owners now than there were a few short years ago. More gun owners owning more than one gun or two and people more then likely to shoot more than once a year or every couple of years.

Same problem here. I was thinking maybe the economy being what it is has something to do with it. Its just plain cheaper to shoot, I know I shoot my Ruger way more than I used too. Not much fun when you wanna go shooting and can't find any plinking ammo though...

I think stores just don't stock enough to begin with.Getting 22 ammo locally was so frustrating that I just order it on line,lots of availability.Stingers and velocitors is what I use mostly.Wally world seems to have the 555 winchesters regularly and they shoot OK.

I don't know what the heck you all are talking about ..... one of my local gun stores had a whole SKID of CCI Mini Mags, and they were the Copper Plated Round Nose I like instead of the HP, AND ...... they were on sale!!!!!!!!!!! I picked up 500 last week, thinking about going back to get another 500 after all this talk about gun restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Walmart yesterday evening. I don't know if its just all the panic buying going around, but they did not have one single box of any brand or make of any .22lr ammo in stock :(

They didn't have much of anything, their ammo shelf looked almost like a vast lunar surface. I've never seen it so empty.

Still can't find .22 ammo anywhere in local WalMarts. Gun store has them but marked-up to $25 for Federal Bulk pack, but at least they have it.

CCI MiniMag's are impossible to find, I may have to switch to CCI "tactical" (if i can find it) since they seem to be about the same thing, I think the difference is just a slightly different bullet profile and better marketing.

My suspicion is the CCI MiniMags (40gn) are not being made because the machinery is being used to make CCI Tactical instead.

Edited by SlowShooter