Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard chroming a Shadow

Micah

Now that I have my backup gun to dryfire, I am considering having my Shadow hard chromed. The obvious parts are the slide, barrel, frame and slide stop, but what else should I consider? My internals are super tuned and I would not want to mess them up with the refinishing... If that is a risk.

I wouldnt, they use the poly coat specifically to cover up marks and small cracks they fix before coating. (someone on another forum had one stripped to paint and found a bunch of blemishes)

Only ones i would do it with are the expensive versions that are blued not coated

I have a blued CZ75B that I bought back in 2001. Were the frames made differently back then, or do only the pristine frames go through for bluing treatment?

Mick

I wouldnt, they use the poly coat specifically to cover up marks and small cracks they fix before coating. (someone on another forum had one stripped to paint and found a bunch of blemishes)

Only ones i would do it with are the expensive versions that are blued not coated

\

These kind of problems make tinkering with guns fun ;)

So it sounds like it is more trouble than what it is worth, and the initial treatment to a Shadow is sufficient in protecting it from rust. I am groovy with that, as I hate the thought of coughing up 6-8 weeks of not handling my competition gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a blued CZ75B that I bought back in 2001. Were the frames made differently back then, or do only the pristine frames go through for bluing treatment?

Mick

The current Duo Tone Shadow's appear to have a blued slide, not the traditional polycoating? Similar to TS?

Here are some pics of my shadow in chrome.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131641&st=25#entry1504795

There are some minor flaws in the metal that the factory paint hides, but they aren't very noticeable. I thought about polishing out some of the marks, but since it is a production gun I decided it was best not to do anything that might be considered unapproved.

My frame was done up by Metalloy. I guess I lucked out because there are no pits in the frame that I can see. (Disclaimer: See my user name) Metalloy did an awesome job but there are a couple spots where sand+kydex are starting to wear on it.

post-17259-0-09813200-1340248283_thumb.j

My frame was done up by Metalloy. I guess I lucked out because there are no pits in the frame that I can see. (Disclaimer: See my user name) Metalloy did an awesome job but there are a couple spots where sand+kydex are starting to wear on it.

Beautiful, but where did you get the magwell? I like the size of it.

Mag Well was made and installed. (Frame milled / tig'ed) by Gary Kimball out of Colorado Springs, CO. Recommended to me by EERW and I can't recommend him highly enough. The turn around time was less than two weeks. I'm planning to drop off my 1911's the next time I'm doing business in CO Springs.