Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 21 g4, m&p 45 or 1911 for CDP

MP9

Hello guys.

I have been shooting idpa for a while, I shoot my m&p9 FS in SSP and ESP. I dont have any .45 and I would like to get one for CDP. But no sure which one..

I have a g19 gen4 as well and really like the grip and size for my small/medium hands and extended mag release.

I have read many may good reviews about the m&p45. the thing is I've been struggling or fighting the grip with my m&p9 while shooting fast. I think I can have a better grip with the glock for speed shooting (even though the m&p feel betters in my hand).

many people says the recoil between the m&p45 and a 1911 is similar, or at least the m&p45 manage it pretty well.

what about the glock 21 or even better the g21 gen4?

Hello guys.

I have been shooting idpa for a while, I shoot my m&p9 FS in SSP and ESP. I dont have any .45 and I would like to get one for CDP. But no sure which one..

I have a g19 gen4 as well and really like the grip and size for my small/medium hands and extended mag release.

I have read many may good reviews about the m&p45. the thing is I've been struggling or fighting the grip with my m&p9 while shooting fast. I think I can have a better grip with the glock for speed shooting (even though the m&p feel betters in my hand).

many people says the recoil between the m&p45 and a 1911 is similar, or at least the m&p45 manage it pretty well.

what about the glock 21 or even better the g21 gen4?

There really isn't a universal answer to your question. It all depends on how the gun fits your hand. The thing about CDP is that you have to deal with the additional recoil over SSP -- which is affected a lot by how the pistol fits your hand. The single action trigger on the 1911 is also a plus, assuming that you shoot that type of trigger well.

I have average size hands and use the Small backstrap insert on my M&P 45 and the Med insert on my M&P 9mm to get the same general grip "feel" from both. I love the M&P 45 for CDP... with a 3.5 pound Burwell trigger job and some decent sights it's been very effective for me in CDP/EX class.... and shifting back to the 9mm for SSP & ESP is an easy transition.

If you shoot the 9mm M&P already, and like the gun, sticking to the same platform makes sense. Experimenting with the backstrap inserts can improve your scores. I tried all three sizes and let the timer/target tell me which worked best for me.

To me there is a significant different in how a Glock and a M&P 'point' from the holster and transitioning between those two platforms isn't as easy for me as staying with one platform.

Edited by GOF

Two weeks ago, I ordered a G21 from Bud's. Then :surprise: I did a google and saw discussions on grip size. CRAP, I have pretty small hands! I cancelled that order. I told Bud's I needed to handle a G21 and a G21SF.

The next weekend, I worked the GSSF match @ the Blue Grass Sportsmen League http://bgslinc.com/. I was able to handle a G21 and a G21Sf. What a difference. So Monday I ordered a G21SF from Bud's.

Somehow you need to get your paws on them and give them a try... no other way IMO. I didn't think I'd like the G21SF but man- it's amazing. And I have small hands. 1911s just aren't for me... at least for now.

This mirrors my thoughts as well.

I had a G21 years ago and I sold it b/c of the huge grip. I just couldn't reach the trigger or controls well. Accuracy suffered tremendously after reloads.

I am now struggling trying to shoot cdp with a 1911 after many yrs of shooting glocks. Gave myself a year to try out a different platform. The further into the year that I get, the more I realize I will probably sell off the 1911s to set up with a G21 with a grip reduction or a G21Sf.

A 20 or 21 would be the only gen4 gun I would own. I do like the texture, with no back strap they are super thin possibly thinner than a SF from what I have been told by internet commandos who slept at holiday inn express. But I am doing my thing with the steel frame guns now. It is hard to swithc back to that trigger after shooting glocks for so long.

I got rid of my g21 years ago because the grip was just too big. Got a 1911 and could not get used to the safety. Bought a mp45 and it fits well. Just slightly bigger than the 9 and 40 mp i have so no need to relearn something. very accurate and reliable. never had a malf with it.

You realy just need to shoot some of the ones you listed to see how they feel. I shot an M&P9 in SSP and ESP. When I went to CDP I thought I would go with a 1911 but they just didn't feel right to me. I ended up with the M&P45 and have been very happy with it.

With caliber restriction and the magazine load limitation, it sure sounds a lot like USPSA Single Stack, and that does seem to cater to the 1911's

I know that there are quite a range of frames and grip sizes for 1911's one of the ones I like is the

Colt 1911 XSE Lightweight Commander

I currently shoot a 1911 in CDP, but I am wanting to "borrow" a friend's 21sf and M&P45 to do some testing. I do like shooting the 1911, but a match has more to it than just shooting...I want to time myself running drills with the various platforms before I make a decision with which way I want to go for 2013.

Have a 1st gen 21 that i got in 1994 setting aqound and set it up with a Vanek trigger and waren sights and gave it a try in CDP 2 years ago..It went back to the bedroom lol..Also have a XD tactical i played around with also..it is still in the safe..bought a M&P this year and shot it a bit,and sold it..Just staying with the 1911's..pretty hard to beat in CDP :mellow:

I have rather large hands - my brother has bizarrely large hands.

A G21 is too large for me - the best fitting gun, in my case, is a double-stack para w. some thicker after-market grips on it - but a Gen3 G21 fits my brother, and his freakish hands quite well.

If you are already running a M&P and doing so well then I would stay with that platform if you can. When IDPA allows .40 major in CDP it will be that much easier for you and the rest of us.

Thanks for the advice. I will rent and shoot a g21 gen4 if I can.

is there any chance IDPA change some "rules" and allow .40 major in CDP?

If you are already running a M&P and doing so well then I would stay with that platform if you can. When IDPA allows .40 major in CDP it will be that much easier for you and the rest of us.

Thanks for the advice. I will rent and shoot a g21 gen4 if I can.

is there any chance IDPA change some "rules" and allow .40 major in CDP?

One can only hope. If you were to go with a M&P or Glock chambered in .45 you could use it in every semi auto class that IDPA has. You just need to add or remove magwell and other mods to fit the specific division. If you reload then you can work up a nice soft minor load. Just sayin.