Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun 2013

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we automatically put on the waitlist if we sent our app and check in?

I assume yes, but I dont really want to be. My schedule has to be planned pretty far in advance.... I guess sending my app in at the first available moment wasnt fast enough. Seems like Texas to Arizona, the mail would get there pretty fast!

Edited by Uber

I assume yes, but I dont really want to be. My schedule has to be planned pretty far in advance.... I guess sending my app in at the first available moment wasnt fast enough. Seems like Texas to Arizona, the mail would get there pretty fast!

AFAIK, its based on the date the letter was post marked, so doesnt really matter if it got there a day after everyone that sent them from AZ.

I assume they did a lottery with all the applications that were post marked the first day and everyone that didnt make it above the cut ended up on the waitlist.

The organizers have been very quiet in this thread the last few days, so I'm sure we'll get more info when they get their heads above water again :)

Edited by gose

AFAIK, its based on the date the letter was post marked, so doesnt really matter if it got there a day after everyone that sent them from AZ.

I assume they did a lottery with all the applications that were post marked the first day and everyone that didnt make it above the cut ended up on the waitlist.

The organizers have been very quiet in this thread the last few days, so I'm sure we'll get more info when they get their heads above water again :)

Kinda a bummer. 5 of us were planning on going, but only 2 got in. Sucks for those of us who didnt, but now those 2 have to split everything half, instead of 5ths

I'm sorry to complain,but why haven't matches like these adopted what Ironman does?? 2 days of TO,2 days all other divisions?

We all know all 4 days will fill..Lets FILL them!

I have to hope my lucky rabbit foot still has a little more left in it to get my lotto number drawn to shoot matches these days.

Likely 70% of this match will be TO,which leaves any other division shooters at home on the couch wishing for a spot.(I even seen Chuck A. didn't get in!?)

I understand the amount of effort that's required to put on this caliber of match, and for that I thank all you MD's.

Just a bummer is all I can say,and a frown for the progression of the sport.

Matches need to progess and evolve with the sport, its passing them!

Please shed some light on what i'm missing here.

Thanks guys,gals,MD's and everyone who gives to the sport. Have fun at the match and keep my fingers crossed for next year.

I think you should definitely throw a match like that!

For many of the matches that already exist, it's tough enough getting the time at the range as it is!

Travis and MGM are lucky to be able to leave a match set up for 2 weeks!!!

The need for more RO's and the longer time period is very difficult for people trying to get vacation etc.

I know that Rio Salado is busy almost every day. SMM3G is an annual event, but there is complaining among their members about the room the match takes up as is!

I'm sure that if the matches could expand, they would...but staffing, range schedules (and fees) and so many other things....

Travis runs TWO matches, not just one over more days! He needs RO's for both, and all that time at the range!!! It also means MD's, set-up crew etc, need to be there longer as well. Since running a match is a VOLUNTEER activity, some of us need to work and have trouble getting more time off!

There are a lot of new matches. There are places for lots of people to play! I know it's hard, but you can't just add places for 100 or so more people without HUGE changes in time, staff, schedulling etc!

Hope that helps!

Denise

I'm sorry to complain,but why haven't matches like these adopted what Ironman does?? 2 days of TO,2 days all other divisions?

We all know all 4 days will fill..Lets FILL them!... Please shed some light on what i'm missing here.

I can understand your frustration. SMM3G is a great match and fills up almost immediately. Demand exceeds supply by a substantial margin.

We already run SMM3G over 5 days (2 days RO match, 3 days main match) and accommodate close to 400 competitors. We run an aggressive squadding schedule to get the match completed in the time available, and we are mindful of how hard the schedule is on staff and competitors.

We have asked ourselves how we can increase the number of competitors. Unless we dumb down the stage designs (not going to happen), realistically the only way is to add one or more days to the match. As most of us have day jobs and families, getting time off for the match is tough enough already without adding extra days. For the staff it is still more onerous - we also have to take time off beforehand to build the match.

Rest assured the SMM3G team will continue to look for ways to let more competitors enjoy the match. If anyone has a possible solution, feel free to share your ideas.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Its all points understood, and thanks for the replies.

Its easier said then done but,more days=more people involved=more $$=bigger sport.

Again im not trying to rant because I have seen how much you guys put in, and for that I thank you.

Its a reality of how big this sport has become for us as shooters along with MD's.

Fighting for a spot to shoot a match IS my biggest rant with this sport.

I want to shoot,thats all :goof:*Edit* I want to shoot and enjoy the sport and help it grow anyway I can*

Edited by Overwatcher

The sport grows, but like Denise and Richard said, there is only so much that can be done per match. Superstition is a very good match, well established and if they dumbed down the stages, I would stop going. Same for RM3G and Blue Ridge. There are some HUGE matches that have simpler and easier stages that let huge numbers of competitors enter that just don't do anything for me.

Answers are 1. Pitch in and lend a hand at a major by working and ROing and learn some stuff, then go run your "perfect" match. OR 2. Go shoot some of the smaller matches that are great matches, but have not yet gained national attention. There are a bunch of those now. Even with the growth, shooting is largely a volunteer sport and it is NOT shooters and MDs. ALL of the MDs are shooters too. If they add two days, they give up shooting a match themselves. FIne to be a consumer at a major, but unless you also work at least one major every year, that complaint should not be dumped on the staff of ANY match, but especially the folks at Rio.

Edited by MarkCO

The sport grows, but like Denise and Richard said, there is only so much that can be done per match. Superstition is a very good match, well established and if they dumbed down the stages, I would stop going. Same for RM3G and Blue Ridge. There are some HUGE matches that have simpler and easier stages that let huge numbers of competitors enter that just don't do anything for me.

Answers are 1. Pitch in and lend a hand at a major by working and ROing and learn some stuff, then go run your "perfect" match. OR 2. Go shoot some of the smaller matches that are great matches, but have not yet gained national attention. There are a bunch of those now. Even with the growth, shooting is largely a volunteer sport and it is NOT shooters and MDs. ALL of the MDs are shooters too. If they add two days, they give up shooting a match themselves. FIne to be a consumer at a major, but unless you also work at least one major every year, that complaint should not be dumped on the staff of ANY match, but especially the folks at Rio.

I dont think anyone will disagree with this Mark.

I'm Not trying to "dump" any complaints to the folks at rio and figured that was the spin everyone would take,and for that I apolgize.

Trying to think outside the box,Travis G. is Mr.Ironman himself,but can pull off a hell of a match and still shoot his match.

If there is ANYTHING I need to help with to get a spot for SMM3G let me know ill be there.PM or email snafu_360@hotmail.com

Edited by Overwatcher

I watched the postman stamp my envelope with the Nov 19 date. I do hope we get in the match. I guess that we are on the wait list since the check was not cashed??

Im in the exact same boat as jamie...can we get some clarification as to where we sit on the waiting list? Planning flights and hotels needs to be done in advance, and it would be nice to know if i am 5th on the list or 35th

Agreed. I'd rather take my chances of not getting into a match knowing that it would be a quality match if I get in, than shooting a smaller/dumbed down/simpler match just to push a large number of people through.

My only issue is the lack of communication. It's been over two weeks and they haven't contacted those who are on the wait list? At this point I don't even know if they received my application and check. I'm about ready to cancel it and just write the match off. I shot this match for several years and then stopped when it started to feel like they were doing me a favor letting me shoot it. Oh well. I guess I'll just shoot the MG Nats again this year.

My only issue is the lack of communication. It's been over two weeks and they haven't contacted those who are on the wait list? At this point I don't even know if they received my application and check. I'm about ready to cancel it and just write the match off. I shot this match for several years and then stopped when it started to feel like they were doing me a favor letting me shoot it. Oh well. I guess I'll just shoot the MG Nats again this year.

+1, I'm in the same boat and wanting to know if I need to plan on going to AZ, or to FL for the Steel Challenge Nationals...