Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Caliber Semi Auto Powder

Reshoot

What powder do you use in 40 caliber semi auto?

Minor or Major? :cheers:

If one adds variables where does it end? I chose to keep it simple to avoid things like;

Load: major? minor?

Bullet: plated? jacketed? lead?

Barrel length?

COL?

I reckon it would take several different polls to cover all those variables :surprise:

4756 works well.

For .40?

I've used it for .38 Supercomp, but, never tried it for .40.

Are you loading it for major, or minor?

What's your load? :surprise:

I tried out some 4756 this summer and really liked it. Felt recoil was about the same as N320 and it meters like a dream. Very consistent chrony numbers too. I don't remember the charge I ended up with for 40major, but it was low in the printed range. I'm getting less and less picky about powders. I've gotten acceptable results from Universal, 231, N320, 4756, Tightgroup and Solo1000. Some are better over the chrony while some seem to feel a little softer. For simplicity sake, I will probably move away from Universal next season as I only use that powder in 40. 231 and Tightgroup both get the job done in 40 and 45 major and minor, so I most likely run one of those. I'm running Bayous these days and they seem to be happy with just about anything that goes bang.

Well crap I've only ever used Titegroup/N320 and have been digging around to see what most other people use -- turns out I am already there.

Currently using 4.4gr at 1.130 with Montana Gold 180 CMJ, but I believe it's so close to the line of major that I'm afraid to use it at a major match and have been trying to determine if I want a new powder or try pushing the charge up a little more. I've also thought of moving the 180 JHP with a similar load and length, which because it's a little longer may raise the pressure up just enough to more reliably make major.