Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting Range for IPSC

jkushner1

None of the above.

My open gun is zero'd at 50 yards and do not use any windage adjustments on the closer targets. I use to use 20 yards, but in '97 I built a Tanfoglio 38 super and installed at CMore. Zero'd it at 20 and later on found out it would not print on paper at 50.

Built my first STI 3 years ago and have kept up with the 50 yard zero.

My limited gun is sighted in at 20 yards. Cover the front sight blade over what you want to hit and release the hammer.

Kenny

(Earned my M card playing on standards) :)

I zero my dot and iron sight guns at 15 - 20 yards..

easiest distance to find no matter what range I am at shooting..I always confirm with groups at 45-50 yards.. and speed drills at 7-10 yards..

We shoot very little Classifiers (and I think they form a very small percentage at any shoot....) and I see to it that all our shoots have shots from 1m to 40-50m in them with varying degrees of difficulties and exposure...keeps the game fun for all and all on their toes. A 15m zero might be a bit low for a hossi-bottom covered 40m target (just as example....) - will have to check the bullet drop one day...untill then...3cm high at 25m :P

15 yards, for the following reasons:

First, my understanding, from people with a whole lotta smarts and experience than I will ever have, is that, for the .40 (what I shoot mostly), point of impact intersects line of sight (point of aim) at two distances in the bullet's trajectory: 12 to 15 yds and 50 yds, with most other ranges between being within a couple inches high, and those closer being not much more than an inch or so low, and that at the barrel mouth.

Second, most targets these days are close in, so that the sights are on for most targets, and no mental adjustment in point of aim is needed. If they're at 35 yds, I'll probably notice and consciously adjust.

Third, I can't SEE out at 25 yds anymore.

Fourth, who said I could ever shoot groups well enough at 25 yds to be able to say, "Oh yeah, gotta adjust windage two clicks right for 3/4" shift in POI"... :D

I overanalyzed this dilemna......initially I had a 50 yard zero, soon went to a 25 yard, and now, due to a few missed head shots, have settled on 15 yards.

So much of our "precision" shooting is partials and head shots at less than 15 yards it is advantageous to sight-in at that distance. I have been shooting ipsic for a lttle over two years and, much to my disappointment because I love a challenge, have NEVER shot a 50 yard stage :o

I use this to study my trajectory: http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj...traj_basic.html

I adjusted my zero at 16yards or so and finally got to try shooting at around 30 meters yeterday. I found out my shots are impacting about 4" above the top of the dot at that distance. So something must be really off. <_<

For you guys that zero at 50, assuming with an 8 MOA dot, that's what...4" dot at that distance, right? When you zero, does that mean your groups are at the center of the dot? Or just anywhere inside it? :unsure:

Thanks.

[oops, sorry for the thread hijack]