Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Glocks in competition

Jadeslade

I'd like a production legal mod that would get a glock trigger down to 3.5-4#.

My 17 is stock, I'm waiting for a 34 from my local fun store that is an blue line distributor. So a 34 will be my production gun and the 17 will be resigned to carry only duty again.

Joed's thread was quite informative, but not something that I would want to do.

Here you go: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156085&CAT=163

The same style parts group from ZEV is $44.

Or if you want a little better, read below.

A ZEV connector, ZEV spring kit, lightened ZEV striker and a .25 cent trigger job get you a much better trigger. After that, most of what you are playing with is overtravel and take-up. An overtravel screw in the housing is almost essential to good technique. SNIP

In either case, you should be close. Polish and certainly get under 4# easily. Simple, replaceable and will last.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sold all three of my competition Glocks. Running an M&P now and hope to try out the new FNS when they finally get the longslides out.

Lot of guys around here have started using M&P's. Have to try one. I was told by my secret squirrel inside the government informer on technical matters that the M&P was almost designated a single stage trigger when they measured and used whatever parameters they use are. Don't get me wrong, I think the Glock is a great gun. Things have changed.

I have observed an interesting phenomenon though. Initially, many people jumped over to M&P's or XD 5.25's. However, I now see a lot of those people moving back to Glock. Despite their perceived weaknesses, Glock's are reliable, accurate, and low maintainence.

I have observed an interesting phenomenon though. Initially, many people jumped over to M&P's or XD 5.25's. However, I now see a lot of those people moving back to Glock. Despite their perceived weaknesses, Glock's are reliable, accurate, and low maintainence.

If your local shooters are anything like the ones around here, those shooters will move back and forth often. Agree with the last sentence, "pereceived" being a key word.

Sometimes, a change is "emotionally" induced in a search for what practice and training could otherwise produce. Maybe it is all perception based on whether shooting is a hobby, pursuit, relaxation, competition, avocation, addication etc.

If your local shooters are anything like the ones around here, those shooters will move back and forth often. Agree with the last sentence, "pereceived" being a key word.

Sometimes, a change is "emotionally" induced in a search for what practice and training could otherwise produce. Maybe it is all perception based on whether shooting is a hobby, pursuit, relaxation, competition, avocation, addication etc.

The M&P Pro and XD 5.25 do have cool factor coupled with very aggressive marketing which I am sure has driven some emotional purchases. However, as soon as reliability, accuracy, or bore axis/recoil coil issues are encoutered they make the jump back to the proven platform.

Sometimes, a change is "emotionally" induced in a search for what practice and training could otherwise produce.

Bingo! See it alot in the precision rifle game. Guys try and buy accuracy and it doesn't work. Putting in the time to train with any weapons system will help more than buying another one.

Well I am hoping that everybody decides to switch to a M&P for the so called easy, cheap trigger and the accuracy and reliability they offer. Would make beating them that much easier.

I have used all 3, started with a XDm but went to a M&P because it was clunky and didn't handle as well as I wanted. Left the M&P because you never knew when or if it was going to extract the case and the accuracy was not confidence inspiring. I am shooting a Glock this year because it runs, is cheap, and is very accurate.........I am not even a fan of Glock in general.

I started competing with a stock german sig 226, I shot it pretty well. I let my shooting partner talk me into a glock 34. Shot it for a little over 2 yrs. I ended up switching back to my sig 226, except, I installed a short reset trigger on it. Even with the SRT Trigger, I couldn't shoot it as well a my 34. I ended up buying a G17.....OMG I love the 17. It is, by far, thee best gun I have ever competed with, and I have competed with a sig, XD, M&P, glock, and a 1911. I shoot my new 17 better than any of those. And I like glock cuz it's easy and cheap to maintain, and it's totally reliable. So far ZERO malfunctions or light strikes with a Vanek trigger.

Well I am hoping that everybody decides to switch to a M&P for the so called easy, cheap trigger and the accuracy and reliability they offer. Would make beating them that much easier.

I have used all 3, started with a XDm but went to a M&P because it was clunky and didn't handle as well as I wanted. Left the M&P because you never knew when or if it was going to extract the case and the accuracy was not confidence inspiring. I am shooting a Glock this year because it runs, is cheap, and is very accurate.........I am not even a fan of Glock in general.

Glock's are deceptively good competition guns. I'm not a Glock fan either, but I can shoot my 24 pretty fast in limited class. I was surprised how well I shoot it. My classifier scores are better with the 24 although it felt slow and awkward at first. I agree with your post.

Edited by lucky #7

Eventually many who have tried to use an equipment change as their method of choice to fix a skill deficiency discover they should have spent the money on more ammo .... I absolutely love my G34 and as long as I stay in production can't ever see switching guns ... Of course I average 600-700 rds/week down range which may have something to do with why I love my Glock

The fact of the matter is clear- people shoot what feels good to them and what they are confident in. I wont get on a soap box and preach how a Glock is better than anything else out there, that wouldnt be a true statement. I will say with full confidence that in my hands....as a shooter....a Glock just feels better to ME. Thats why I run them, plain and simple.

The fact of the matter is clear- people shoot what feels good to them and what they are confident in. I wont get on a soap box and preach how a Glock is better than anything else out there, that wouldnt be a true statement. I will say with full confidence that in my hands....as a shooter....a Glock just feels better to ME. Thats why I run them, plain and simple.

Bam. This is exactly how it should work.......I never shot glocks until like 3 months ago when I picked one up on the cheap....turns out, I can just present the Glock better than any of the other guns I've tried out (CZ, M&P, XD, etc).

I got my feet wet with a 19. Then bought a 35 for Prod/Limited Both my carry guns are Glocks. In the market for a 9mm for Production currently.

Toyed with the idea of getting a Shadow (the trigger!) This thread made me think about getting a M&P.

But everytime I pick up something else, a Glock points high. So, I'd either have to switch over to the new platform entirely or deal with not indexing my carry gun instinctively.

I'll stick with my Glocks.

Never could shoot good scores with a XDM...just bought the XDM 5.25, reworked the trigger and sold it. Back to my G34 and hi-scores. I hardly shoot my Springfield TRP anymore, as I am so accustomed to the Glock and how well it points.

Sold a very nice custom 2011 and went to a 17L for 3gun. The main reason was abandonment. A Glock you just throw it down and run away. No worries about safeties and such. It's plenty accurate and reliable.

I ran a uspsa match with it in limited. I was just trying to get used to the Glock since I never shot one much. Funny thing is even with it being minor I shot so well on a classifier I moved up.

Just my opinion but downgrading, yes downgrading, from a 2011 to a Glock just for abandonment is not a very good reason. I've watched shooters at major matches unload a gun instead of putting the safety on, seems a little overly cautious. Its a safety and its there for a reason, train and use it. If your safety comes off how hard are you throwing your gun? No doubt, to each his own but not for this guy. Glocks are great for lots of things but I'm just not buying the abandonment argument.

Edited by 9X23Guy

Just my opinion but downgrading, yes downgrading, from a 2011 to a Glock just for abandonment is not a very good reason. I've watched shooters at major matches unload a gun instead of putting the safety on, seems a little overly cautious. Its a safety and its there for a reason, train and use it. If your safety comes off how hard are you throwing your gun? No doubt, to each his own but not for this guy. Glocks are great for lots of things but I'm just not buying the abandonment argument.

I'm not buying the "downgrading" argument. :)

I've kept up with...and beat...way too many good OPEN gun shooters with their 1911's.

There are several TOP, well trained shooters DQ every year due to safeites popping off, some may set them a tad hard, but some abandonment "configurations" are beyond stupid. There are many quality, "well trained" 3 gunners using striker fired pistols and doing very well. Some run those for other reasons, but the abandonment issue is NOT trivial.

When the average expense to show up at a major is probably about $1500, a DQ nets nothing, a win as much as $10K...yeah, it is a factor! For a top 30 overall guy, probably the difference between a net zero or maybe ahead and the potential and not being able to make another match fit in the budget...yep, could be a big deal.

Sorry to break the Glock love here, but in my opinion a 1911/2011 well tuned is better suited for the limited and open areas of play. I am a firm believer in the Glock platform it is arguably one of the most reliable brands on the market. Having said that if a new shooter walks up and says "I want to get into limited what gun should I look at." Glock or any plastic gun for that matter will not be at the top of my list (I'm an XD shooter). Now production is a whole other ball game. Seeing anyone leave a gun that they shoot well based off of emotion is a shame. The thing that is really upsetting about this is that shooter will likely talk another young impressionable shooter to leave a platform that they shoot well, and as a new shooter the last thing you need to worry about is second guessing your gear.

I've kept up with...and beat...way too many good OPEN gun shooters with their 1911's.

Agree 100% :)

I shoot g17 open and a lot of peolple keep on telling me and wondering how much better I would shoot if I go w/ the S_I. Been there done that when I was in IPSC Std. So I know better. I have 2 full custom hi cap S_Is in my closet now that I dont compete w/ anymore and were part of my learning process ;) so Im back to Glocks.

I dont judge one better than the other. They are both excellent platforms but both are not perfect.

Whatever happened to the Indian & his arrow? :)

Edited by BoyGlock

Markco, I hear what you are saying. All valid points. I will agree a great shooter will get it done with any tool, Glock or otherwise. Abandonment having an effect on gun selection is a tough one for me to swallow. I guess if I do it at a major I'll be eating my words but until then I'll work the safety. I use a M&P for 3 gun sometimes and it is nice to be able to dump it and go. I just don't think that I could do it in open which is my primary division. Again, to each his own. Glocks are great guns, just not my first choice for competition.

Edited by 9X23Guy

I just have not experienced the safety coming off but then again I don't throw my pistol into the bucket from 6 feet away either. I think there is an advantage to being able to just put the gun down without worry but I think most of these issues relate to training and people not putting the safety on in the first place rather than it being bumped off. I have only done two major matches but myself and 9x23 guy have shot club matches for a while now with at least 1 or 2 per month and it has not been an issue. Personally I think the trigger and accuracy of the 2011 pistols out weigh the being able to dump the striker fired pistols quickly. I also think the rules are flawed allowing striker fired pistols to be dumped with no real safety while a 1911 type gun must have the safety engaged. The rule should be all unloaded for all pistols. Some people cite that 1911's have lighter triggers but I have seen Glocks and M&P's with very very light triggers as well.

Pat

I bet that has more to do with the indian than the arrow or the bow rather in your case. I personally like both Glocks and 1911's I did an experiment once. I shot a steel match with both my 2011 STI Edge in 40sw with major power loads and my Glock 17 with minor loads and a good trigger. I beat my Glock time with my STI by over 10 seconds. I shoot both guns quite a bit.

Pat