Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New style targets. Like them or not?

Our local clubs started using the new "TV friendly" targets like the 3G Nation uses and I don't like how much unscored area there is in the corners. I have asked a some people of differing skill level and most seem to feel the same.

I have to edit to clarify I'm talking about the standard tan color. Not the more expensive color ones.

Edited by Kent Grewe

I purchased a box so that I could practice on them in case any of the bigger 3-gun matches used them in a course of fire.

Since I don't see these targets as any sort of PC thing, I saw them as more of an easy for spectator watching on tv sort of thing, I didn't have a problem with them and have grown quite fond of them.

I don't see the larger than normal non-scoring area as too much of a problem. I know those areas are there and I try not to put any bullet holes in that area of the target.

They were used at FNH, no surprise there. I'm with Pat, Lead-Head and Mr Payne. A target is a target. I like the action shooting games and shoot whatever target is used. We shoot at round plate all the time, I don't hear any crying that they should be square. I thought action shooters can solve the problem presented to them.

But, I've shot bullseye and highpower, they use round scoring areas in a square, no problem.

I love the red circle targets. Tan-yecch. Shooter needs feed back on a target that has non-scoring areas. I love the 3 Gun Nation Series matches, they are really fast and I wish that clubs would do this-they won't. My club won''t even buy a plate rack-"I can make one of those"- there's always an expert welder in every group. But the speed and everything is way better than the stand and shoot of a couple of three gun matches I've shot this year. I'm not happy with Rob for saying "I don't care about all the other shooters out there, my responsibility is to the 64 "Pro shooters". I told him that probably that was was a little narrow minded, because without push from top down, no club is going to adopt 3 Gun Nation Rules and the red targets. And there were only about 40 "Pro shooters" at the Georgia 3GN match. It's a TV event, not sure the TV people give a shit about shooting per se-it's just another reality tv show to them. Ok people for tv people, but not in the game, you know? I hope they are successful and can transmogrify the made for TV stuff into a viable entity, because run and gun is really why most of us got into this, otherwise PPC matches would be the bomb. WIth all due respect to Pat, who is a great friend of mine, he doesn't shoot Bianchi Cup or hasn't recently, so not all pulling trigger events are that great. Bianchi Cup is a snoozefest, attended by sponsored pro shooters and people who don't run and gun. Bottom line is I like these targets, just not the plain brown ones, and I want more running and gunning, not standing or lying down and shooting sniper targets. Sniper matches abound, my feeling is if you can't shoot it freehand, leaning against a barricade, or maybe taking a knee, it's too slow and too far. I like the red targets. I'm convinced in this format that eventually someone will just starting putting one on each target. Yeah-I know it's been clocked on IPSC targets and two hits is faster than one, but these targets are different. The red ones are different than the tan ones. The tan ones should be scored like IPSC in IMGA or whatever and so what's the point? The red targets are the ones that I like and are good.

3GN should use whatever target they like, FNH too, for that matter any match director. I must say though that I'm with Pat the popo on this one. I think they suck. My hope is that they don't start showing up in any regular matches I shoot.

I really like them as well. It has made my decision making process much easier and has saved me a bit of money too.

I love you man. Wait until you see my Limited Rifle!X!X!! You can never die, because without your sardonic humor, all of this would suck.

If the reasons to change were in fact to make them easier to see for tv, why not keep the IPSC style/shapes and red the A/B zones and black the rest. Too simple???

Its not about being easier to see. Its about the USPSA style are human form somewhat and that is politicly incorrect for large scale TV. That part I understand even if I think its pandering. The USPSA metric targets could have done the same thing IMO. They have cost me a couple mikes. Yup I need to slow down and shoot bettter but its gotten to be habit in this sport that 2 on paper works.

I'm still waiting for that one magical match where we get to shoot at bunnies. Warm, fuzzy, fluffy, soft bunnies... Preferrably white ones. Cause you can see the hits better.

Bunnies and dumplings afterwards?

Sounds tasty! Think we could talk the ladies that made the delicious chicken and dumplins at FNH into it?

I'm still waiting for that one magical match where we get to shoot at bunnies. Warm, fuzzy, fluffy, soft bunnies... Preferrably white ones. Cause you can see the hits better.

Bunnies and dumplings afterwards?

Sounds tasty! Think we could talk the ladies that made the delicious chicken and dumplins at FNH into it?

Maybe if Larry put a bug in Cole's ear about it. :roflol: