Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 or 2 loads for 3gun rifle?

Heshin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, for those of you shooting hand load 55gr, what is your bullet of choice? Like I have said, I have only been shooting the cheap stuff meaning any off the shelf 55gr fmj, American eagle, umc, etc.

Ok, for those of you shooting hand load 55gr, what is your bullet of choice? Like I have said, I have only been shooting the cheap stuff meaning any off the shelf 55gr fmj, American eagle, umc, etc.

I like the hornady 55gr (I buy them in the handy 6000 pack).

I run 2 loads... 55gr and, erm, 55gr :devil:

For close-range stages (hoser stages inside 100yds) I run 55gr Hornady or Lake City FMJs. For long-range stages I run 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Both are loaded on my XL-650 using the same charge of AA2230 to a velocity of around 3160fps; when switching bullets, the only thing I have to change is the seating die depth. In a pinch I have no problem using the FMJ loads out past 300yds - my 16 year old son has no trouble making hits with the cheap loads, which just rubs salt in the wound :roflol:

Two loads, generally run American Eagle, XM193 Eric FMJ 55 gr for local matches or close target stages. Most of the local matches the targets aren't much past 100 so savings on cost is the real motivator. At national matches or locals with long range by go to load has been Fed Gold Metal 69 gr Sierra BTHP. I like the consistency that load offers. Someday I may reload 223 but right now time to shoot let alone reload is getting more rare. My two loads are a little off from each other but I zero and keep the scope in tune for the 69 gr. For the up close and local matches I've found the 55 gr close enough to make good hits with.

3 loads for me. Hornady or Montana Gold 55s for shots less than 200. 69gr SMKs for beyond. If I don't have time to reload, I use 55gr PMC Bronze for the short range. Accurate, same POI at 100 yards as my 69s, great brass and usually $300/1000 at the gun shows.

I don't reload. I use two. 55 grain FMJ usually in American Eagle or the Federal 100 packs from Wally World on paper and Hornady Steel Match 75 grain for anything 200 and out. I like the consistent accuracy of the Hornady on the long range stuff and the heavier bullet makes it easier for the person calling the hits. 55 grain works just fine. I just don't want any question when I hit the steel.

I think a lot of it depends on your gear, your range, and your experience.

I'm only using one load (55grn) but I get 3144 FPS from it from my 18" SS barrel so for me, it works. They're fast and flat and in most cases, not in the air long enough for the wind to have enough time to blow it off target. If I notice enough wind/mirage to be a factor, I hold on the edge of the target. Again, it works for me and my area. If I was trying to shoot a plate rack at 700 yards I'd probably do things a little differently.

:)

Great info here! I love hearing everyone's perspective and what works for them.

1349232321[/url]' post='1790461']
1349231970[/url]' post='1790457']

I like the hornady 55gr (I buy them in the handy 6000 pack).

+1 Great bullet. I use the 69 SMK for 300+. The 69 is a bit more accurate out of both my 16" and 18" barrels, and they do rock the steel a little better at distance. For the majority of my shooting, the Hornady 55's do just fine. cheers.gif

In my experience the only FMJ bullet I've ever been able to find that will group is the Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT. Until I found them I was using 50gr V-Max and 69gr SMK's. When I found the Hornady FMJ's would group pull 1 MOA, I just stuck with them. At around $80 per 1k they are tough to beat.

I would say 90% of regularly participating 3 gun shooters use two loads.

No disrespect... but the other 10% are either rich or dilettantes.

I would challenge your 90% figure. While there are a lot of people who use multiple loads, there are also a lot of us who only use one. I use a single load for heavy metal as well as a single load for limited. Smitty also uses a single load as well (a different load mind you, but still just the one), and I am aware of others that use just one load. It is not a matter of being rich, or even fancy, the 52 or 55 grain bullets that I like for limited cost about the same as the 69 grainers that Smitty likes. I challenge the belief that heavy bullets are better for our game, or that the logistical headache of multiple ammo in a match or on a stage is worth the hassle. The whole 55 vs 77 topic has been hammered in the past, and it still seems to come up so it is far from settled.

Cheers!

Honestly, Shawn, I use two loads -55 MG and 69 Nosler - because I enjoy the reloading! Also, the heavier load does make me feel more confident at over 200 and I'm a touchy, feely guy. Sensitive, like most shooters!

Yeah. I'd say some of the voters don't shoot matches "regularly".

If a shooter shoots 1-3 matches a month... one of the main reasons ($) to do 2+ loads becomes obvious.

A shooter who isn't a regular shooter isn't going to care about the savings because the savings isn't big enough. They just don't shoot enough matches.

Using Greg's $20 per match... if you shoot 1 match a month you are saving $240 per year.

I average about 1.5 a month excluding any major matches over a year. So I potentially save 1.5x12x$20=$360+ a year by not shooting premium bullets at close targets.

Or you have the regularly attending shooter that just don't find any advantages to shooting a premium bullet.

And of course a "rich" guy isn't going to care about $240/$360/$480 or X a year.

Yeah. I'd say some of the voters don't shoot matches "regularly".

If a shooter shoots 1-3 matches a month... one of the main reasons ($) to do 2+ loads becomes obvious.

A shooter who isn't a regular shooter isn't going to care about the savings because the savings isn't big enough. They just don't shoot enough matches.

Using Greg's $20 per match... if you shoot 1 match a month you are saving $240 per year.

I average about 1.5 a month excluding any major matches over a year. So I potentially save 1.5x12x$20=$360+ a year by not shooting premium bullets at close targets.

Or you have the regularly attending shooter that just don't find any advantages to shooting a premium bullet.

And of course a "rich" guy isn't going to care about $240/$360/$480 or X a year.

My first major match I shot all match bullets and that was expensive. I now shoot ball on paper or whenever I can and only use match bullets when I have to and that dependson the stage.

pat

The only match I regularly attend is a lost brass match. I hate leaving good brass so I shoot wolf 55g on the short stages and Hornady 75g after 100 yards. I use a 200y zero with the 75g and the Wolf is dead on at 50y.

I would say 90% of regularly participating 3 gun shooters use two loads.

No disrespect... but the other 10% are either rich or dilettantes.

I would challenge your 90% figure. While there are a lot of people who use multiple loads, there are also a lot of us who only use one. I use a single load for heavy metal as well as a single load for limited. Smitty also uses a single load as well (a different load mind you, but still just the one), and I am aware of others that use just one load. It is not a matter of being rich, or even fancy, the 52 or 55 grain bullets that I like for limited cost about the same as the 69 grainers that Smitty likes. I challenge the belief that heavy bullets are better for our game, or that the logistical headache of multiple ammo in a match or on a stage is worth the hassle. The whole 55 vs 77 topic has been hammered in the past, and it still seems to come up so it is far from settled.

Cheers!

Honestly, Shawn, I use two loads -55 MG and 69 Nosler - because I enjoy the reloading! Also, the heavier load does make me feel more confident at over 200 and I'm a touchy, feely guy. Sensitive, like most shooters!

Lee,

If the MG 55's shot as well as the Noslers I would shoot nothing but them, unfortunately I continue to get less than stellar results from them, so I do not use them in matches, not even for hoser paper. There was an issue of front site earlyer this year that had the Multigun nationals article in it that actually listed the percentage of competitors in scope tac that used different loads, I don't have it in front of me right now but I seem to remember it was around half.

The cheap bullets cost $85/K in .224 the ones I like cost $148/K. I figure 250 rifle rounds for most every match but Ironman, 400 for it. That comes down to $15.75 for most matches and $25.20 for the Ironman. If my willingness to spend an extra $20 per match to shoot consistently good bullets in my reloads qualifies me as "Rich" then move over Donald Trump I am walking on easy street! The $300 extra bucks on bullets on match bullets each year is money well spent for me considering what it costs to go shoot these matches. I would cut back on my bar tab before I chose to shoot bullets in a match that I did not feel confident in, plus I just have too much on my mind when shooting a match to worry about what ammo is loaded into what mag.

I will say that I picked up a box of 77gr bullets to try on the double spinner, just to see if it was faster than the 55's or 52's I have been using. You never know I might be converted for next year, and use two kinds of rifle ammo for Iron Man.

Fortunately the joy of this discussion is that it is purely academic anyway. I could care less how many types of ammo anyone uses at a match except me. I will continue to do what I think will work best for me and encourage others to do the same. Some guys prefer beer, some prefer whiskey, and some enjoy both at the same time, makes no difference to me!

Oh and just to add fuel to the fire, at major matches I only use new virgin Lake City brass for my rifle ammo.

Cheers

:cheers:

There aren't enough rifle matches in Norway for either choice to be a cost issue, I shoot one load for consistency, and because it hits hard enough on steel at 300 meters anyway, at least in my rifle. I hate reloading, and the Fiocchi groups at about 1MOA in my rifle. I also do alot of my training with a .22 kit, so shooting factory ammo at matches is not going to break the bank anyway. Everyone have their reasons for choosing so and so and this is what I ended up with.

I shoot 2 loads only when shooting at LaRues past 300 & on really windy days. 55 gr. Sierra Blitz Kings at 3100 fps & Sierra 77 gr. for longer shots. The LaRues past 300 will go down easier with a lower hit than a 55, have had it happen to many times with 55's, so now its 77's & no more questions.

Tony