Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post pics of your Tactcal Sport

gmg

Thanks, I'm going to checker the back in 30 lpi also.

Here are a couple of pics of the process, I machined a couple of guide plates to keep the file centered on the front strap. Due to the upsweep at the bottom of the front strap all of the vertical cutting must be done with the front row of teeth on the file, these wear out pretty fast so I would clamp the end of the file in the vice and break a small part off exposing a fresh row of teeth. Had to buy a second file to finish the horizontal lines.

Would you sell or loan out (with a deposit) those guide plates?

How thin is the front strap after smoothing the factory waffling and then checkering? I was wanting to do 20lpi but it doesn't look very thick.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are a couple of pics of the process, I machined a couple of guide plates to keep the file centered on the front strap. Due to the upsweep at the bottom of the front strap all of the vertical cutting must be done with the front row of teeth on the file, these wear out pretty fast so I would clamp the end of the file in the vice and break a small part off exposing a fresh row of teeth. Had to buy a second file to finish the horizontal lines.

Would you sell or loan out (with a deposit) those guide plates?

How thin is the front strap after smoothing the factory waffling and then checkering? I was wanting to do 20lpi but it doesn't look very thick.

The front strap is still pretty thick even after removing the old checkering and adding the new. The thinnest spot is at the bottom where the frame is beveled at the opening of the mag well but you won't be putting any checkering there.

I am open to selling the guide plates, send me a PM if interested.

Full disclosure this is a difficult job. I have checkered a few 1911's in the past so this wasn't my first crack at it.

Thanks,

Chase

Excellent idea!

Excellent idea!

Thanks, hopefully I can get started on the back strap tonight.

nice work...that makes my fingers sore just thinking about it.

really nice though

nice work...that makes my fingers sore just thinking about it.

really nice though

Thank you

Yeah, a rotary table is defiantly going on the list of things to buy. Then I can let the mill do the hard work.

• 3 weeks later...

Project update

The frame work is done, just need to cerakote the slide, controle's, and mag well in graphite black, then throw it back together.

post-50115-0-10836100-1394907891_thumb.j

post-50115-0-77233300-1394907904_thumb.j

post-50115-0-21281400-1394907918_thumb.j

Edited by Czhase

Love that bronze color. Very sharp looking TS Czhase. The checkering on the front is clean, I am not familiar with gunsmithing technique, how exactly do you do checkering like that?

Definitely post up some pics when finished!

• 2 weeks later...

My TS is finally done (for now)

Removed factory checkering.

Undercut trigger guard and beaver tail.

Hand checkered front & back strap. (30 lpi)

Machine the rear sight 1mm shorter and recut the notch.

Machine the mag release .075" shorter, and re-checker.

Cerakote burnt bronze / graphite black.

Thanks to everyone on this thread that inspired (gave me ideas to steal) this build.

post-50115-0-08897500-1396052587_thumb.j

post-50115-0-10016400-1396052601_thumb.j

post-50115-0-79065700-1396052619_thumb.j

post-50115-0-47432300-1396052637_thumb.j

post-50115-0-65042300-1396052651_thumb.j

Just got this put back together. Thanks to Canyon Creek for welding a piece of metal for the safety extension, Cheely Custom for machining the slide, CZ Custom for the bushing and Yousef and IonBond for the coating.

0a5b33c9-eabf-4df0-834b-c17cd510f916_zps

czts_022_zpsb520982b.jpg

czts_039_zpsf46a6107.jpg

czts_034_zpsb92200bc.jpg

Can you share the contact for who did the grip and barrell?

My TS is finally done (for now)

Removed factory checkering.

Undercut trigger guard and beaver tail.

Hand checkered front & back strap. (30 lpi)

Machine the rear sight 1mm shorter and recut the notch.

Machine the mag release .075" shorter, and re-checker.

Cerakote burnt bronze / graphite black.

Thanks to everyone on this thread that inspired (gave me ideas to steal) this build.

Very nice!

Just got this put back together. Thanks to Canyon Creek for welding a piece of metal for the safety extension, Cheely Custom for machining the slide, CZ Custom for the bushing and Yousef and IonBond for the coating.

0a5b33c9-eabf-4df0-834b-c17cd510f916_zps

czts_022_zpsb520982b.jpg

czts_039_zpsf46a6107.jpg

czts_034_zpsb92200bc.jpg

Can you share the contact for who did the grip and barrell?

I did the work myself except the machining and welding.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not at all good at photography. But, I got my Tactical Sport back from Scalpel arms this week and got it reassembled today. I should have ordered some black grip screws. Had to spray paint the original ones and they look like crap. I went with Tungsten and Armor Black controls and grips. I am extremely pleased with the work they did. Any defect, mark, etc in the pic is purely due to my lack of photography skills.

P1010168.jpg

P1010170.jpg

P1010160.jpg

P1010161.jpg

I'm not at all good at photography. But, I got my Tactical Sport back from Scalpel arms this week and got it reassembled today. I should have ordered some black grip screws. Had to spray paint the original ones and they look like crap. I went with Tungsten and Armor Black controls and grips. I am extremely pleased with the work they did. Any defect, mark, etc in the pic is purely due to my lack of photography skills.

P1010168.jpg

P1010170.jpg

P1010160.jpg

P1010161.jpg

That looks really sharp. Good choices on the colors.

P1010168.jpg

P1010170.jpg

P1010160.jpg

P1010161.jpg

Very nice TS. Are you using the CGW trigger pin, if so what is holding it in?

I am using the CGW floating trigger pin. I just put it in when I reassembled it. I wasn't aware that anything should hold it in. Will it walk out? I was using the factory pin previously. I should have had an aluminum trigger but FedEx lost the package a month ago and CZ was going to sent me another but they're backordered now.

I am using the CGW floating trigger pin. I just put it in when I reassembled it. I wasn't aware that anything should hold it in. Will it walk out? I was using the factory pin previously. I should have had an aluminum trigger but FedEx lost the package a month ago and CZ was going to sent me another but they're backordered now.

I tried to use the CGW pin on my TS but it looked like it would walk out.

On a standard 75 the trigger return spring is on the trigger pin, the spring coils sit in the narrow center section of the CGW pin and that is what keeps it from walking out.

On the TS the trigger return spring is on the trigger bar bin, there isn't a spring on the trigger pin to hold it in.

I never shot my TS with the CGW pin because I could easily push it out by hand.

I tried to use the CGW pin on my TS but it looked like it would walk out.

On a standard 75 the trigger return spring is on the trigger pin, the spring coils sit in the narrow center section of the CGW pin and that is what keeps it from walking out.

On the TS the trigger return spring is on the trigger bar bin, there isn't a spring on the trigger pin to hold it in.

I never shot my TS with the CGW pin because I could easily push it out by hand.

Guess I'll find out if it will walk out or not. Will get a spare factory pin with my next order of small parts just in case.