Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorter Open Gun

Tristan

You will not notice any difference with accuracy, even if you are the Bianchi cup champion.

A more insightful answer would be as long as the barrel has the appropriate rate of twist to properly stabilize the bullets you will be utilizing and enough length to properly accelerate them, a shorter barrel will be at least equally as accurate as a longer one and have less likelihood of deviation inside of the barrel or adverse barrel harmonics.

I highly recommend a shorter platform. It's easier to transition with and can still be just as good if not better as far as muzzle flip is concerned when setup properly.

I prefer the 5" over a shorty.

I started with a shorty, I thought open guns were suppose to be violent. The first time I shot a 5", I thought it was slow and sluggish. After I put more time behind it, I found it to be smoother, softer and overall better to shoot. The shorty now feels twitchy

I never saw a difference in transitions

Get a full-size open gun and lighten the slide to reduce weight. In general, shorty open guns are more violent than full-size guns. You can reduce weight in a full-size gun but you may not like having to add weight to a shorty to duplicate full-size gun performance.

Another thing to think about is you can't lighten the slide enough on a full-size to replicate a lightened shorty slide.

The easiest way to tell what you want, in my opinion, is to think about how you feel while shooting. I'm always thinking "why do I have to wait for this stupid dot?" If you think that, I think you'll be happy with the shorty. If while shooting an open gun you think "Holy Crap!" You'll probably like the full size better.

Come on, where are my shorties at?

Edited by Whoops!

I started with a shorty, I thought open guns were suppose to be violent. The first time I shot a 5", I thought it was slow and sluggish. After I put more time behind it, I found it to be smoother, softer and overall better to shoot. The shorty now feels twitchy

+1

Having owned and shot both for long enough to know and feel the difference. A shorty can be more violent.

Pat

I like the shorter guns as far as handling and the way they balance and prefer them for most shooting situations. But, as a general statement, I prefer the full size guns for their softer (less snappy) shooting with light 115 grain bullets at major (I'm sure there are exceptions to this).

Not sure this really qualifies as a "shortie" by the OP's definition as it has a 5" barrel, but I've been running an ancient Caspian which has the slide shortened by about 3/8" and weighs in at about 9.75 oz with an overall length including triple chamber cone type comp of about 8 3/4". It feels good in the hand and the dot is very predictable. The 5" Wilson barrel yields accuracy as good as any super I've shot (1" at 25 is possible with the right load). With this gun I found it is more comfortable shooting the "mid-weight" (124-130 grain) bullets. I can shoot it faster with 115 grainers, but they wear on me so I generally run 124-130 grainers and not worry about shaving .02 seconds off splits.

Nothing wrong with a shorter gun in my book if that is what appeals to you. What is more important is to just get something, make it reliable, and get on with the shooting. You may realize after shooting whatever you get for a while that you want/need something else, and move on from that gun...and that is OK. This is part of the IPSC experience! For most the first open gun is just a tranier, it's the second, third, fourth guns that are bought open eyed with the knowledge and experience gained from the first.

Short open gun....... :blink:

Has anyone noticed the picture of the short open gun located on the SVI home page?? :D

It's the one pictured next to a computer screen ( link to their photo gallery).

I do belive that it's a 5" with a ported Shueman barrel and a slide mounted optic...seems to fit the bill :devil: :devil:

+1

Having owned and shot both for long enough to know and feel the difference. A shorty can be more violent.

Pat

Same experience here. Started with shorties and went to a full size. Much softer and smoother.

Another thing to think about is you can't lighten the slide enough on a full-size to replicate a lightened shorty slide.

I'll contest that point. I've built 5" guns that weigh and balance the same as a 4.25" shorty.

The key difference being that the longer gun always shoots softer.

Edited by Matt Cheely

I'll contest that point. I've built 5" guns that weigh and balance the same as a 4.25" shorty.

Hello: I would have to agree with Matt to a point. If the full length pistol has lots of holes in the barrel then it will not shoot as soft as one with no holes in the barrel. It takes more powder with lots of holes in the barrel to make major. I have tried a couple of different shorty pistols and a bunch of full length pistols with holes and without. The full length pistol is easier to shoot for me at major power factor and faster. The timer is your guide :cheers: Powder choice and bullet weight has alot to do with it also. Thanks, Eric

Let me throw in yet another twist - medium size gun. That is currently my favorite - the gun of the Limcat Razorcat size, which is smack in the middle.

Or SV IMM open pistol, I had one in 9 major and it shot fine, but then again never really shot a full size 5" or a shorty either. As they say pick one and practice. When I do get another open gun, I will probably go with a 5" in 38SC.

Help me to understand this. In these cases would you say you lightened the slide equally as much on both the shorty and full size? I mean, it just makes sense that a gun with 3/4 of an inch less real estate would weigh less assuming everything else is completely equal.

Help me to understand this. In these cases would you say you lightened the slide equally as much on both the shorty and full size? I mean, it just makes sense that a gun with 3/4 of an inch less real estate would weigh less assuming everything else is completely equal.

The shorty slide gets 3/4" lopped off and a few serrations in front.

The 5" slide gets many more serrations and some internal lightening in the front end. Couple that with a spiral fluted barrel and possibly an aluminum guide rod and you have a package that weighs and balances the same as a shorty.

You can get a shorty slide to weigh too little. It's all about balance.

The shorty slide gets 3/4" lopped off and a few serrations in front!

The 5" slide gets many more serrations and some internal lightening in the front end. Couple that with a spiral fluted barrel and possibly an aluminum guide rod and you have a package that weighs and balances the same as a shorty.

You can get a shorty slide to weigh too little. It's all about balance.

THERE YOU GO

Edited by mitchiepinoy

• 2 weeks later...

I have had both and they each have their advantages but I prefer a heavier gun and I shoot 9 major so that pretty much says it all. Loading 9 major is a little easier with the longer barrel as well, most of the time I can use a tenth or two less than the shorty needs. I know that doesn't sound like much but I'll take it when you're running 9 major. Oh, no popple holes in either, both Scheumann and this applies to both 115gr and 124gr MG's in my experience.

The shorty does index a little faster but after shooting the heavier guns for a while I can index fast enough to make the difference immaterial in my opinion. I just like the way heavy guns make the dot track as well as the duller recoil impulse.

I own a shorty (saleing it to fund another gun project) that Dan Bedell built me in 2010. I also have a long gun. To be honest I can't tell the difference other than I feel like I'm using a limited gun. The recoil impulse was the same. Maybe a little faster than my long gun. I love it. Maybe just me but I'm not a tall person 5'11" and I like the how the gun transitions as well. Doesn't feel like I'm moving a long pole in front of me. Now I'm shooting limited and hope to shoot single stack. Want to do something different as I've been shooting open for 3 years. Plus it's nice to get back to basics.

I have had both and they each have their advantages but I prefer a heavier gun and I shoot 9 major so that pretty much says it all. Loading 9 major is a little easier with the longer barrel as well, most of the time I can use a tenth or two less than the shorty needs. I know that doesn't sound like much but I'll take it when you're running 9 major. Oh, no popple holes in either, both Scheumann and this applies to both 115gr and 124gr MG's in my experience.

The shorty does index a little faster but after shooting the heavier guns for a while I can index fast enough to make the difference immaterial in my opinion. I just like the way heavy guns make the dot track as well as the duller recoil impulse.

Second that on the popple holes. Just makes u use more powder and its louder!! I used 124 MG jhp with 7.4 of IMR 7625. Very accurate and soft feel for a fast burning powder. Similar to Max Michels open load.