Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ending a reloading session

I just got my XL650 up and running and finished up my first hundred 9mm loads. All went great! I love this thing, its a huge step up from my single stage. I have some questions regarding ending your reloading session.... When you hear the low primer buzzer, how many primers are left? Or do you just load up another tube and keep them in there?

If you do want to stop for the night and leave a full primer tube in there, do you just pull the buttons so you can dump the powder in the seating and crimping stations and save them for the next session, putting them in the powder drop station and starting from there?

In my limited experience, I think I've seen occasions where there are 4-5 primers still in the feed after the alarm sounds.

Personally, I leave everything just the way it is and pick up where I left off----but I tend to load 30-50 almost nightly so I always know where I am; and with case feeder/bullet feeder, things are pretty obvious. And I always refill the primer tube once the alarm sounds or at least within a few after that.

I've never thought to count, but it seems like there are about 8-10 primers left in my 650 at the buzzer. Call me OCD, but I never leave powder or primers in my press for any period of time when I'm not reloading. I'll even turn off the casefeeder and remove the brass from the tube.

It's unnecessary, I'm sure, but it's part of my procedure and I'm sticking with it.

I took the buzzer off my 550 but i still use the stick that came with it. I know when the stick bottoms out i have 1 primer left in the tube.

I don't ever add another 100 primers on top of it. The reason is because i was distracted one time and didn't rotate the shell plate. This cause a double charge in one of my loaded rounds. The only reason i noticed something wrong was when i boxed the rounds I only had 99 instead of 100. After looking for the last primer i found it in the empty primer tray.

So basicaly, make sure you get the same number of loaded rounds as the number of primers you put in.

I leave my powder in all the time.

When i am done for the night i spray some WD40 on a rag and wipe down everything i might have touched that is metal to avoid any rust.

I think there are about 13 SPP after the alarm. If you want to quit just take the primer cam off the side and slip a .41 mag case [works for .40} into the casefeed arm bushing. Pull the handle and run the rest out.

13 sounds about right, it is a lot. I load based on primers. I load up as many primers into tubes as I want to load and I load till I run out. The last 3 or 4 when the case sizes and advances to the priming station I pull it out. I do this until the last fully loaded round drops into the loaded round bucket. Unless I am changing calibers I leave everything as is ready to start again. :cheers:

I leave the primers in the press, but always empty the powder back into the original container.

Primers dont come sealed up in any way. You can't hurt them, and the only kind I use in the Dillon are CCI small pistol.

Powder likes to stay sealed up dry, and I use different powders that I don't wish to mix up.

When I'm going to end my session I stop the case feeder or put a bent piece of wire in the case feed arm so no additional cases can be fed. After the primer is seated in the last case I remove the primer cam so no additional primers will be fed. From that point I cycle the handle until the remaining 3 rounds are loaded and the platform is empty.

I never worry about leaving primers in the press. Never have worried bout leaving powder in the tube for a few weeks either. the bullets always run and life is too short...

Ditto. I keep the moisture in check in my reloading room so I just walk away and leave the press as is when I feel like stopping.

I always load by a factor of 100.

That way I have no left over primers.

I take the brass of the tube and throw it back in the collator.

I leave the powder in (no big deal)

I do remove any bullets left in mr bullet feeder.

Cheers,

Los

Edited by carlosa

I never worry about leaving primers in the press. Never have worried bout leaving powder in the tube for a few weeks either. the bullets always run and life is too short...

That's the way I do it. I never dump the powder unless I am changing to a different powder type. It stays in the powder hopper. I just dump more on top when it gets low. I have to take the top off the hopper to check the level because the plastic is so discolored. :)

I usually end a session by topping off the primer tube, turning off the case feeder and walking away. The next time I start I check the weight of a couple charges and keep loading. I bought my 1050 direct from Dillon for $895.00. That's how long I have been doing it that way. ;)

If there were a simple way to remove the powder I would. There isn't so powder stays in the tube for months. Same for primers.

I always thought taking the tool head off the 650s or just remove the whole measure off the SDB or 1050 and use a funnel to pour the powder back into the can was pretty quick and easy.

I leave the primers in the tube and put a post it note on the tube that lets me know what primers are in the machine.

I always load in multiples of 100 and empty the machine of in-progress cases and primers, though I do leave powder in the hopper. I have a 1050 rather than a 650, and when my primer buzzer goes off I think there are 6 or 7 left. What I do is when I'm ready to stop, I look for the head of the primer rod to touch the buzzer (1 primer prior to actually setting the buzzer off). At that point I know that if I empty the case feeder tube there are exactly enough unprimed cases left in the system to match the number of primers left (in 9mm, .40 ends up off by one).

Thanks for all the replies, it seems like everybody has a different way of ending, and I don't hear of any problems. So that tells me that there's probably no bad way to end it. I think when I want to stop, I'll place a bullet, leave everything else in there and pull the handle down bringing the head up then leave it, that way no dust or anything can enter the empty cases until the next session...

Sound good?

Thanks for all the replies, it seems like everybody has a different way of ending, and I don't hear of any problems. So that tells me that there's probably no bad way to end it. I think when I want to stop, I'll place a bullet, leave everything else in there and pull the handle down bringing the head up then leave it, that way no dust or anything can enter the empty cases until the next session...

Sound good?

It may fall and drop down. There's more dust residue from tumbling them then hopefully what's in the house. I just leave it down with bullet on case, ready for next pull

Sound good?

It may fall and drop down. There's more dust residue from tumbling them then hopefully what's in the house. I just leave it down with bullet on case, ready for next pull

That's true... good point. I'll just tell the wife to keep the house cleaner. I'm sure she'll be fine with that.

I just got my XL650 up and running and finished up my first hundred 9mm loads. All went great! I love this thing, its a huge step up from my single stage. I have some questions regarding ending your reloading session.... When you hear the low primer buzzer, how many primers are left? Or do you just load up another tube and keep them in there?

If you do want to stop for the night and leave a full primer tube in there, do you just pull the buttons so you can dump the powder in the seating and crimping stations and save them for the next session, putting them in the powder drop station and starting from there?

I always finish the last 100 and then put the powder back in its jug and clean up. I never leave powder or primers in the press. Too easy to forget what you were doing last if something happens and you don't come back to the press for a while.

Pat