Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No-shoot target "slashes"

I've Googled around and cannot find an answer, likely because I'm not asking Google the right thing.

What is the best way to make/paint the red or black slashes on no-shoot targets that you see at some larger matches and as shown in the classifier diagrams?

Tape or paint will work, but like Kevin said, they are not needed. A plain white target is a no-shoot, X or no X. The X marks on the drawings indicate a no-shoot target, because in a 2D, black and white, line drawing environment, you must differentiate the targets. Not so on the range. In fact, the black X marks have caused scoring problems because a bullet hole in one is not as evident, and you will need black tape in addition to white.

Hope this helps.

Troy

I agree with above.. Mostly used in stage diagrams.. No need to put them on the target.. White targets are no shoots x or no x. But if you must have a black x, they sell black duct tape in the painters section of your home store.. Believe it is used for painting stucco..

I must be missing it... where is the rule that no-shoots must be white? I know that they must be a different color from scoring targets if they are not marked:

4.1.3 No-shoots must be clearly marked or be of a single color different from scoring targets. Metal no-shoots in the general size and shape of authorized paper targets may be used. Metal no-shoots do not have a non scoring border.

The only place I have seen X's on No Shoots were at matches that used metric STEEL HC/NS targets. The HC side is painted a solid black, the NS side is a solid white with a red X sprayed across it. If they took a hit they were touched up with either white or black whichever was appropriate.

I have seen the X done with red paint on no shoots. The Fort Wayne club use to do this. Now that the new generation is running it I don't know if they do or not. Seemed like a lot of extra work with not much gain to me.

• 6 months later...

I agree with comments made above. Two coworkers and I made a metric sh$t ton with a roll of brown heavy guage paper from Home Depot and a carboard template. We even made weapon templates for some, a can of spray paint, couple of Sharpies and same blue painters tape and you can make what ever you want.

Wasn't there some discussion about the need for the Xs when you had white steel in front of a NS? Either that or the steel had to be painted a color other than white. I can't find it but my searchfu is weak.

The slashes came from the days when both sides of the targets were brown, you know the old Florida 8 and item(?)targets (how many of you guys every heard of those?) also back then the "B" zone was worth more than the "C"

We would designate a no-shoot target by putting a X on it.

Way back when we went to our current IPSC/Metric target they made the back white for the no-shoot, and put the non-scoring border so the RO's wouldn't have to exam every inch of of the edge of a target looking for a grease mark before calling a mike.

Years ago, someone in our club made a template that we would lay on the target and spray paint the slashes on, but we lost that years ago because it wasn't needed and added more work to set up

Wasn't there some discussion about the need for the Xs when you had white steel in front of a NS? Either that or the steel had to be painted a color other than white. I can't find it but my searchfu is weak.

I think that's just to be courteous and even that's a stretch...

Another reason: We have roofed outside ranges at some clubs with light coloured sand butts behind the targets. On bright days with strong light reflecting off the sand behind the targets it can be quite difficult to differentiate white and buff targets and on these stages we add a visible X to penalty targets for quick recognition.