Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 22 Recommendations

Rambo

I'm getting ready to buy a dedicated AR-15 22.

I'm looking for any comments/suggestions/tips. Thanks in advance! :cheers:

Requirements:

-Accurate

-Reliable

-Great trigger

-FUN!!!

-Interchangeable with 223 upper (hope to buy sometime in the future)

-No regrets (if only I had bought....)

What I'm leaning toward:

JP-15 lower

-magpul ctr stock

-magpul miad grip

-3.0 pound trigger (will this be 100% reliable with a 22?)

-standard buffer spring

JPNC-22 Upper

Burris MTAC 1x4-24

JP Mount - 30mm

If you want a truly dedicated 22, look at the S&W. If you want a standard reciever, look at spikes or tac sol. I think Accuracy Speaks make an upper as well.

For the lower, it looks like a decent list, you may want to take a look at the Ergo stock, I just got one and love it.

What you have listed will work great. JP upper made by Nordic will be the way to go. The ar uppers made by Nordic Components ar the best thing going. Will go on to any standard 223 ar lower.

JP trigger will work fine under that upper. Triggers are personel chioce and that upper will work with about any fire control you put under it.

You will not have any regrets with your listed setup.

Barry

+1 on Nordic .22 upper. VERY accurate and 100% reliable with various ammo. Works on 2 different lowers I have and are both equipped with complete JP trigger groups. You can pick the barrel length to have a near match of the handling your .223 match gun. Highly recommended.

John

+1 for the Nordic Components upper. I have the 18" version and they even sell rails so you mount a vertical fore-grip etc. I set mine up similar to my Noveske 18" upper so you have same handling characteristics. Same trigger pull don't even have to think about it. Only problem is once I got a Swaro Z6i for the Noveske that Aimpoint on the Nordic isn't as fun. Can't go wrong with BDM either. Nordic shoot's everything I feed it especially Wally world bulk packs!!!

The problem with Nordic is you can't buy one anywhere... And if you order directly from them, they are 6+ months backordered. As such, I have to keep suffering with my temperamental CMMG... :rolleyes:

The problem with Nordic is you can't buy one anywhere... And if you order directly from them, they are 6+ months backordered. As such, I have to keep suffering with my temperamental CMMG... :rolleyes:

The DPMS one looks good too if you can't get a Nordic.

My CMMG dedicated upper is rock solid. There are two tricks with the CMMG uppers -

First, you need to polish the feed ramp that's built into the bolt assembly. Use a dremel with a felt polishing drum and some polishing compound. Hit it just long enough to shine it up and get rid of any machining marks.

Second, it really helps to "buzz" the chamber ever 500 rounds or so. Take a .22 cleaning brush dipped in solvent, threaded onto a section of cleaning rod. Chuck that into a drill and insert into the chamber from the rear. Run it on medium speed for 10-15 seconds. This really seems to help with failure to go into battery.

Mine is a 6.5" and is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on, especially with the can. For the first 500 rounds or so it had some stovepiping problems, but now it almost never jams as long as I avoid Remington bulk crap. It eats everything else - Blazer, Federal Bulk, subsonics, etc. I've had maybe 2 malfunctions in the last couple thousand rounds.

IMG_1771.jpg

Edited by bkoenig

The DPMS one looks good too if you can't get a Nordic.

AFAIK, the DPMS uses the Nordic bolt.

I have an original Spike's upper which they do not make any more. I would not get a 22lr conversion for the AR. I would buy a dedicated 22lr upper only. Also, I did not like the plastic feel of the S&W 22lr rifle.

I just shot in a shoot off with a pair of S&W AR-15 22s and they worked flawless. Now, that being said, its a different feel. The whole package is much lighter than a dedicated 22 upper on your regular lower. My first run on the biathlon rack I over swung my transition pretty bad and I had a really firm grip on the rifle. Once I lightened up a little it felt different than shooting my AR but was an absolute blast. Best platform for 3 gun training, maybe not but a ton of fun.