Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

custom 2011 for under 3k

Prov1x

I'm looking to get set up with either a full custom or semi custom 2011 sometime in the near future for next season. I know pretty much zero about custom work, who does what or who's good and who's not.

I was looking at getting a CRP sti eagle from dawson precision but I'm not 100% sure I want that look of the sti frame, slide cuts etc.

I know i'm wanting a short dust cover, front and rear thin serrations (not big ones like are standard sti) but thats about it. I am shooting an sti trojan .40 for ss and its a great gun so I havent totally rulled it out yet. I'm also shooting a s&w m&p pro .40 in limited now.

So what are my options for under $3k better yet mid $2k's?

Thanks!

Edited by Prov1x

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Freedom Gunworks website and look at his build sheet for a 5" gun. Starts at $2200 and then go up from there in price depending on what you want done. He can do anything you want for slide cuts. Check him out I highly recommend him. He stands behind his work!!!

I really like my Brazos Custom SC 5" Limited Gun. Doesn't fit your thin rear serration request, but IMO is one of the best bang for your buck packages around.

Another great option is Matt Cheely. He builds amazing guns, provides fantastic customer service, and has excellent pricing too.

You can definitely do a Freedom Gunworks gun for less than $3k and that's including a whole lot of options. If you want to go the more conservative route, they start at $2200 like dskinsler mentioned. And even then you have some options of what you want.

Give him a call.

Freedom Gunworks

Edited by Will_M

Lol.

There are plenty of gunsmiths out there who can provide what you are looking for in the price range that you are asking about. My advise would be to do a search on them and see which ones have the best track record. Most are good, but there are some that have a good reputation (with a small, but vocal crowd) that are bottom of the barrel scum.

I have had guns from Benny Hill, Dan Bedell, and Akai. Those have all been flawless. Brazos guns that I know of and infinities have also proven themselves to be excellent choices.

Edited by latech15

How are the predator tactical pistols? I've looked at their stuff on the web but not in person. Does anybody have any experience with them? Feel free to pm me or post your experience here. I know they are out of my original price range but i can always save longer if need be.

Edited by Prov1x

FGW has a 9mm edge type build on his FB page that looks great that only has 2490 in the gun and it's going out for finish. Caliber doesn't change price and the gun looks great. You mentioned you want short dust cover right? That drops 100 of the 2490 price tag right there.

It has ball mill serrations front and rear, tri topped and adjustable rear bomar style sight. Then you gotta realize it is hand fit: slide to frame, barrel fit, trigger job just and with the short dust cover saving $100 off the $2490 price tag and have it done in 40 then I say you get a better than Dawson CRP edge or eagle. You can choose slide serration pattern and so on. And plenty of choices that don't change the $2200 base price

One more point to keep in mind for your decision

There is expensive great equipment

There is affordable great equipment

There is expensive / affordable JUNK

And always take the advice of a expert that only has been shooting alittle over a year and has a high post count

But really your are doing the right thing ask questions, at the match ask the other guys if you could shoot there gun, most shooters would be glad to let you shoot there gun, there is only one shooter I know personally that really does not want you to touch or shoot his gun and that is the national champion MAX MICHEL , by the way he shoots a DAN BEDELL CUSTOM :rolleyes: So look at several to see what you want in a custom gun and then choose a builder to do it for you. good luck :cheers:

One more point to keep in mind for your decision

There is expensive great equipment

There is affordable great equipment

There is expensive / affordable JUNK

And always take the advice of a expert that only has been shooting alittle over a year and has a high post count

But really your are doing the right thing ask questions, at the match ask the other guys if you could shoot there gun, most shooters would be glad to let you shoot there gun, there is only one shooter I know personally that really does not want you to touch or shoot his gun and that is the national champion MAX MICHEL , by the way he shoots a DAN BEDELL CUSTOM :rolleyes: So look at several to see what you want in a custom gun and then choose a builder to do it for you. good luck :cheers:

I shot Max's gun before I ordered my Bedell.

Also, when taking the advice of new shooters with high post counts, check their history and see that not even a month ago, they posted a thread about how their new gun from their favorite smith wouldn't run and had to be sent back.

Holding back, yep, that's me.