Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

custom 2011 for under 3k

Prov1x

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite gun is a factory STI Trojan that needed its free bore loosened up a tad. Bobby cakes me after he received it dropped what he had in front of him we talked bout the gun what it was doing he took some measurements while on the Phone with me. Put the barrel in the machine fixed it and talked to me the whole time it was happening. Now that I can load my .40 ammo to 1.185 with 185gr Precision bullets (which are fat) and the gun runs fine. Anyone can find a post on here bout a Trojan and problems running. Bobby didn't have to fix that problem as he didn't build the Trojan he CUSTOMIZED it only. But he fixed it because I am his customer (not team member) customer only. I sent it on a Monday had it back on Friday. Y'all are more than welcome to get off my case.

PM sent. The salesmanship on this non-dealer thread is starting to annoy me.

If someone wants to read both the upside and downside of a product or service, you can invite PMs where free responses are allowed & also do not stir up a public ___-____ (insert creative expression).

Well it looks like I've narrowed it down between two companies offering about the same price, same wait time and features.

Matt Cheeley or Dan Bedell.

Anybody have any more info to share in regards to either builder?

Feel free to message me...thanks.

Well it looks like I've narrowed it down between two companies offering about the same price, same wait time and features.

Well Dan is about 20 years older than me so I'll probably be around 20 years longer to give you great customer service! :goof:

Both are great. You will love either one.

Dan build my gun so between the two I would lean towards him, but I really like the looks of Matt's guns as well. Look at both of their work and choose based upon which ever one you like best. At this point they are both good guns so you would be fine to pick based upon aesthetics.

Well Dan is about 20 years older than me so I'll probably be around 20 years longer to give you great customer service! :goof:

That all depends on your future motorcycle adventures. ;)

• 1 year later...

I would say Matt McLearn. I have an open Caspian he built back around 1995. It is by far the most reliable flat shooting pistol I have owned. It has been absolutely 100% reliable and to this day is my favorite gun to shoot.

Lol.

There are plenty of gunsmiths out there who can provide what you are looking for in the price range that you are asking about. My advise would be to do a search on them and see which ones have the best track record. Most are good, but there are some that have a good reputation (with a small, but vocal crowd) that are bottom of the barrel scum.

I have had guns from Benny Hill, Dan Bedell, and Akai. Those have all been flawless. Brazos guns that I know of and infinities have also proven themselves to be excellent choices.

My experience with the tools of this game follow the same line as in any sport. The adage of cry only once is always in my mind. There is without question some very good Master Gun builders that can provide you with a product you will be happy to own. Sometimes it all comes down to preference. Benny Hill is one of those Master gun builders who can build you a gun you will be truly happy with as well as not break the bank. Take a little time, call and talk to Benny he is always ready to visit with you about your wants. He will also give you advise that come for 25 + years as a GM shooter and a man who still today competes at the top of the game. He has the knowledge, ability, and truly understands competition firearms. Let's not forget its fun to shop for a gun.

:rolleyes:

Kevin is located about 5 miles from you--USSA!

What is wrong with his work?

Give Mike Seeklander a call. He lives near you and knows a little bit about guns and gunsmiths.

Yeah Kevin WAS one of my first options but he is no longer at ussa or taking new orders there. I know Mike personally amd have looked at and shot his guns made by Kevin and they are excellent to say the least.

My final decision was to go with Matt Mclearn to do my build. It was over my original budget but I moved a few things around to get what I wanted the first time around. He should be starting on mine pretty soon and I hope to have it in a few months. I'll post it up when I get it.

Edited by Prov1x